Browsing: Dog With Soft Stool

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dog With Soft Stool

If your dog's stool is soft, finding the cause will help find a remedy or define the need for medical treatment. This is a guide about dog with soft stool.

pug looking sad.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 2, 2009 Flag

We have a 3 year old Sheltie dog named Bonnie. The problem is she has bouts of really yucky, slimy-mucusy (sorry a bit gross I know) poo. She is fed the same thing each day, no scraps from the table, no dairy, no red meat as that definitely gets "things-moving".

Her diet consists of chicken, veggies, and rice with a chicken and rice based dry food mixed in. Why, when she is fed the same food does she get ichy pooh? It must "burn" a bit too, as I see her scooting around on her bottom on the lawn and sometimes on our carpet. Any help would be appreciated.

By hyslop from New Zealand

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with all the others, you do need to take a sample to the vet to rule out parasites. My dog has been doing this for more than a year. We have discovered that he has allergies and they seem to cause him irritable bowl, a red sore anus to be exact. This last time he was actually pooping blood. It kinda flipped us out. So we have started mixing a tablespoon of yogurt with live cultures into his food and he was doing better. Then I decided to make my own yogurt and I used my starter from a batch that had 6 live cultures in it.

The very first day he had this yogurt nixed with his food he had a solid stool and it was brown! Oh, my we were so happy. The vet is even fine with it all..Now keep in mind we give Duvall a tablespoon at each feeding, once in the morning and again in late afternoon. He is an 80 lb dog. So give it a try, it won't hurt the dog as it is only yogurt. He is happier and more active, I think he feels better.

Good luck with your baby. Laura in SW Florida

What a pretty pup! I don't really think that impacted anal glands are going to create mucousy stools--though scooting the butt can be a symptom of that. I'd take a stool sample--and the dog--to the vet ASAP; sounds like a parasite.

Our dog as stress induces colitis with mucusy stool. We have to give her a mild sedative during storms to keep her from getting a bull-blown bout of colitis. if it is not daily, stress could be a factor. Our golden Maggie, gets it even when it rains only hard enough to make a noise on the roof. For her it doesn't take much to stress her out (result of her being a rescue dog I guess!).

With no disrespect you need to talk to a veterinarian.

Read More Answers...

September 16, 2015 Flag

I found blood in my 10 Year old Miniature Poodle's diarrhea poo. I fed my dog a little left over beef taco mince yesterday, Tuesday 15th Sept 2015 and the following day, Wednesday 16th Sept. 2015, she had diarrhea. This is not uncommon with some things she eats, the food just doesn't agree with her stomach, unless it's her own food. But I noticed for the first time that there is a little bit of blood in her poo this time. I'm wondering if it's because of the mince?

She hasn't been to the vet in about 3/4 years or wormed and vaccinated either, my dad doesn't listen to me. Could that be the cause? I'm trying to get my dad to get her an emergency vet check-up and have been for the last 2 Years. He's an idiot. I don't want to come home and find her dead. :(

You do need to find a way to get your dog to the vet for a checkup, vaccine boosters, deworming and heartworm preventative.

All dogs require this maintenance.

I would suggest you don't feed your dog anything but her actual food. I know it's hard to resist, but you must do what's best for the dog. She doesn't have the discernment to reject a food that will upset her stomach.

It is likely your dog has hookworms. They are very common and often produce blood in the stool, sometimes quite a lot. It looks scarier than it is. But your dog needs vaccinations and worming and heartworm treatment. Could you find a friend or relative to help out with a trip to the Vet? Perhaps you could babysit or do yardwork for the payment

December 19, 2008 Flag

My year old Scottie has solid stool at first, then it turns to very loose (sometimes diarrhea). I was told to use 100% pumpkin (1 Tbsp. per 50 lbs), WOW it worked like magic. He loved it and this morning his stool was firm and dry.

By Kacy from Granite Bay, CA

December 24, 2014 Flag

We have 3 dogs. 2 are rare hunting dogs and one of them has started to lose weight. He is eating and drinking fine, but his stool is soft. This happened to him during the summer and I took him to the vet who ran a bunch of tests. Everything came back normal, but he was treated for round and hook worms just incase and was placed on antibiotics. This temporarily solved the problem, however now we are facing it yet again. I'm trying to avoid another trip to the vet. I recently tried rice with hamburger and broth, but it did not show signs of improving so he is now back to his normal dry food. Any suggestions would be appreciated. He is also UTD on shots.

By Crystal

Very difficult to answer as there could be so many possibilities. You can continue to try alternative foods, however, this might make the problem even worse. You could try another vet for a different opinion.

Additional information:

If you decide to try a different vet, you can request copies of your dog's tests and evaluations for the new vet-to save retesting costs and also so the new vet has all possible information for the examination. Delivering the test and other info from the prior vet a day or two before the new exam will help the vet prepare for the exam.

August 12, 2009 Flag

My dog gave birth to 5 puppies and now the dog has loose stool. What should I do?

By ddaz1265 from Glendale, AZ

The tip that Hiddenvalley gave is a good one, except for the fact that your dog is nursing puppies. She has to eat her dog food for the nutrition to get to the pups.

I have always used Pepto Bismol on my dogs. The dosage depends of course on her size. But I've used it on dogs whether they were nursing or not and never once had a problem.

Actually tho, your best bet would be to talk to your vet. Ask about the Pepto, and also ask about the method that Hiddenvalley suggested. It's better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully you can get your answers from him over the phone.

I just recently experienced the exact same issue with my pooch. She has 12 puppies. My Vet suggested Pepto and cottage cheese to help restore the natural balance of bacteria. I gave mine pepto tablets. Good luck.

If the Mom hasn't been seen by the vet since giving birth--it's time for a post-whelp checkup. Loose stool can be the result of a lot of minor things, but major problems, as well.

Just like a human mother needs that once-over after having a baby to ensure everything is back to where it needs to be--so does your dog.

Canned plain pumpkin will help. I got this tip here long ago and then the other day. Martha Stewart had vet Dr. Marty on and he said it works. Also add plain white rice to her food. It will help too.

Read More Answers...

June 30, 2010 Flag

I've had my pit bull puppy for about 3 weeks now. He's going on 3 months old. Ever since I got him, I've fed him adult food (small dry food). Why isn't his poop dry? People have told me that it is because he needs puppy food. Is that true?

By Sophia from Vista, CA

He could be sick. Better call your vet and find out what is causing it. Many pups get diarrhea when they are young and need shots to get better or some kind of medication.

Just like human babies need baby food; puppies need puppy food. Their digestive systems aren't fully ready to handle adult dog food until 6-9 months. If he has loose stools/diarrhea get him to the vet.

I agree with BKLander about the pup being too young to eat adult food. Adult food doesn't have the nutrients nor is the pup ready to digest the adult dog food.

At his age, dry food is fine, but it needs to be a puppy formula. Also agree with all the posters saying a trip to the vet needs to happen; it could be anything from the dog not absorbing nutrients properly from being on adult food to worms to any one of a number of diseases.

If the stool's been runny more than three days, you're also risking dehydration, which can be serious.

Load More
Pets Dogs HealthJuly 13, 2013
Jeep Soft Top
Cleaning a Jeep Soft Top
Photo of a sad puppy laying on the floor.
Puppy With Blood in its Stool
Soft Boiled Egg
Making a Soft Boiled Egg
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 3:30:31 AM on 10.0.2.148 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.