Browsing: Dog Won't Come Inside

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dog Won't Come Inside

A frightened or wary dog may refuse to come inside willingly. This situation is frustrating for you and stressful for your pet. This is a guide about when a dog won't come inside.

A dog outside playing with a ball.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 9, 2008 Flag

We have adopted a 2 year old dog that will not come into the house. Every morning she cowers and curls up into a ball and must be carried in. As the day goes on she gets better and will come in and the next morning the same problem. Any solutions to her being so scared?

Mary from Virginia Beach, VA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I was growing up we had a dog who simply did not want to ever come inside the house whatsoever so we installed a doggie door on the garage door and put a warm, comfy bed and her food and water in the far corner of the garage. She was a Shetland Shelty/Border Collie mix and just liked the great outdoors :-) If coaxing won't work, don't force your baby if she doesn't want to come in. Just make sure she has a safe place with a warm bed to be :-)

My thoughts are that if you recently adopted her and she's already 2, there was probably some sort of abuse where she came from that is associated with going inside of a house. Be patient and talk softly while coaxing her in with a treat or a favorite toy.

One good sign is that she allows you to pick her up and carry her inside.

The only thing I can add to these wonderful suggestions is being eye level if coaxing. Thanks for choosing to adopt! Best wishes, a doggy lovin'friend

I would suggest not putting her outside at night and leaving her there. Maybe something outside is scaring her. Keep her in at night.

I have the exact same problem. Only I have a 9 month old rat terrier who refuses to come inside. At first I thought she was scared of the sliding door but yet she comes in when she feels like it. It's winter now and I can't leave the door open all day for her to decide if she's coming in or not. So I have resorted to a cable leash when she goes out. I have it hooked to the door so if she doesn't want to come in, I can assist her. It's too cold for her to stay out, and she doesn't need frostbite. I wouldn't recommend a doggie door, because you may find more than just your dog coming inside, raccoons, stray cats, neighbor cats, possums, bugs and birds may come inside as well.

I entered my dog into obedience training and my trainer told me that my dog is not scared, although she acts like it, but he said she's 1st class stubborn. Good luck!

January 22, 2009 Flag

My American Bull Dog does not want to come inside after his walks. He is walked 2 times daily and then I put him in the back yard. From the backyard he has access through a door to come into the house as well. He spends his day in and out of the house.

He is 5 months old and I have owned him for 5 days now. The previous owner just use to keep him indoors all day and night. Why does my dog not want to come inside after his walks? Do you think I should walk him more often than 2 times daily?

Jessica from Hialeah

Congratulations on your new dog. My son has an American BullDog; a very loving and loyal dog but not the smartest dog I've ever known--this is not a bad thing, however. If you want the dog in, bring him in. If it doesn't matter then let the dog stay out. You are the leader, you decide what the procedure will be. At 5 months the dog is still very immature and has a lot to learn. He has a strong desire to please you so take advantage of that.

Congrats on the dog. Walking twice a day is great; just make sure they're long (30-40 min) walks that are brisk enough for you to break a sweat and get your heart rate up. Dogs do not get exercise sitting in a yard by themselves.

Simply bring the dog inside as the other writer suggested. After only 5 days the new home is still a little different from his previous home. Dogs should NOT be kept "outside" by themselves at any time.

They will annoy neighbors before you hear them and they are prime targets for dog-nappers.

No, that's not a joke. More dogs are stolen than ever run away from boredom.

Make coming inside a fun training exercise and use good treats. You need to let the dog know what is expected of them or they will try to figure it out on their own. When they make the decisions; it's unlikely they will behave as you would prefer. It also leaves the dog mentally under stimulated which will bring on behaviour problems.

Give the dog a definite bed and train him to use it through treats and praise. He'll get the idea very quickly.

Is your walks 1/2 hour at a time or longer? Puppies need a lot of exercise.If you can go 3-4 times a day for a few days to see if that makes a difference.If he was forced to stay in the house day and night with the previous owner he may just want to be outside for awhile. Make him stay inside at night anyway.You are the "pack" leader.We have coyotes here that have killed 4 cats in the neighborhood since last summer. Make sure he can't get out of the yard. DH takes Buddy out 5-6 times a day. Here is Buddy after a long morning walk.

Good Luck GGVi

I think he is just the enjoying the freedom of the outdoors.

I'm no expert, if your Beautiful dog doesn't want in right away, he must want more time outside. I know dogs that love being outside, but you have to be careful so they don't get too cold.

You mentioned walking him, maybe he wants to run?

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 17, 2013
Teaching a Dog To Come
Teaching a Dog To Come
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Removing Condensation from Inside a Watch
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 19, 2016 at 12:45:25 AM on 10.0.0.61 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.