Dog Won't Go Potty Outside in Cold Weather

I recently got a Shih Tzu. She refuses to use the bathroom outside. It is snowing here now and she won't go at all. I have tried the potty pads inside and she won't use those either. Any ideas? I need help.

By Amanda from IA

Answers:

I know it is strange, but I had a Boxer that did the same thing. He would not leave the side of the heater or fireplace all winter long. The only way I would get him to go in the snow or when it was really cold was to take him under the back deck. There wasn't any snow under there, and he could go. I would have him on a leash and have his coat on too. Good luck! (12/08/2009)

By Ouida

Our buddy Gus (50 pound Pit mix) will not go out in "weather" unless he really has to (he regularly holds it for 14 hours in winter or on rainy days) and we go outside with him. We got Gus while living in Los Angeles (we now live in Cleveland) and even then the only way to walk him on a rainy day was to carry an umbrella over him. When we get snow my husband and I go outside and stomp down or shovel a path for him from our porch steps to an area with less snow under several trees. It seems to help. Best of luck! (12/09/2009)

By theammons

My little dog hates snow (southern born and bred, but living in eastern Oregon now!) and she doesn't like to go out for potty breaks either. We go out with her and always have a clear spot on the patio for her. She won't step off into the snow, but will finally go to her spot if I'm out there too. (12/09/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

I have a Shep/Rotie/Dobie cross who won't go outside in the winter. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Today it is 39 Celsius! I put a coat and boots on her and she goes out. Try the boots, maybe she's cold. (12/10/2009)

By catastrofy

I had a Chihuahua that was like that and we litter box trained her. This is great for a small dog, but won't work for a large dog. (12/11/2009)

By mary1day

Small dog sitting inside of an open door with head lowered
Dog Won't Go Potty Outside
small dog
Dog Diapers Won't Stay On
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Computer
Computer Won't Start in Cold Weather
🎄