Dog Won't Go Potty Outside

Small dog sitting inside of an open door with head lowered
This guide is about dog won't go potty outside. It can be very frustrating when there are peeing accidents in the house, and you want to change your dog's behavior.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my 5 year old Chihuahua. She will not go outside to potty even when she has to defecate. I have to keep telling her to go back and potty cause she keeps looking back at me and keeps trying to come back in the house. If I tell her to go potty enough, eventually she will go. I don't get it; she never pottys inside the house so why do I have to force her outside? No changes or moves have been made she just started doing this a few months back when it was cold and I thought that was the reason, but it's warm now!

She has simply got it in her mind that there is something out there she doesn't like, only now she can't remember exactly what it was. Dogs don't understand seasons, and in their minds winter could suddenly "attack" or maybe snow could just appear.

I find it interesting that you are telling your dog to go out rather than going out with her. You may be reinforcing her belief that something is wrong out there. After all, if you're not willing to go out, why should she?

Get out the treats and go out. Call your dog and invite her out. Reward her with treats and praise whenever she "goes" outside, and watch her fear disappear.

My dog will not pee outside.

By oricky from Windsor, KY

There are drops that you usually use on pee pads, so they know where to go. Get some, put in a certain area where you want her to pee outside and praise her highly when she does pee there. Take her to the same spot whenever you take her outside.

I recently got a Shih Tzu. She refuses to use the bathroom outside. It is snowing here now and she won't go at all. I have tried the potty pads inside and she won't use those either. Any ideas? I need help.

By Amanda from IA

Answers:

Dog Won't Go Potty Outside in Cold Weather

I know it is strange, but I had a Boxer that did the same thing. He would not leave the side of the heater or fireplace all winter long. The only way I would get him to go in the snow or when it was really cold was to take him under the back deck. There wasn't any snow under there, and he could go. I would have him on a leash and have his coat on too. Good luck! (12/08/2009)

By Ouida

Our buddy Gus (50 pound Pit mix) will not go out in "weather" unless he really has to (he regularly holds it for 14 hours in winter or on rainy days) and we go outside with him. We got Gus while living in Los Angeles (we now live in Cleveland) and even then the only way to walk him on a rainy day was to carry an umbrella over him. When we get snow my husband and I go outside and stomp down or shovel a path for him from our porch steps to an area with less snow under several trees. It seems to help. Best of luck! (12/09/2009)

By theammons

My little dog hates snow (southern born and bred, but living in eastern Oregon now!) and she doesn't like to go out for potty breaks either. We go out with her and always have a clear spot on the patio for her. She won't step off into the snow, but will finally go to her spot if I'm out there too. (12/09/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

I have a Shep/Rotie/Dobie cross who won't go outside in the winter. I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Today it is 39 Celsius! I put a coat and boots on her and she goes out. Try the boots, maybe she's cold. (12/10/2009)

By catastrofy

I had a Chihuahua that was like that and we litter box trained her. This is great for a small dog, but won't work for a large dog. (12/11/2009)

By mary1day

My 3 year old dog hates the cold weather and refuses to go outside to go to toilet. Help. I am at the end of my tether.

By Jacky from South Wales

Answers:

My Doxie doesn't like it either, but she is more willing to go out if I go too. We live where we get lots of snow and it's cold, but we both go out and walk around until Penny finds just the right spot. That's what works for us. (10/23/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

RE: Dog Won't Go Potty Outside in Cold Weather

Yes, the same with my Jack Russell/Beagle Jess, she just doesn't like to be cold at all, but, we've been working with her to go outside with one of us with her, and that is working so far. However, she still will not go out if it is raining, but, we've been getting her better with light rain, but, she just will not go outside if it's raining harder.

The only thing I could get her to do, was to put a doggie pad out on the floor in the garage, and so far, it's working, Thank goodness it's not on my now very cleaned carpeting. (10/23/2009)

By Kas2

I have a slightly different solution for you. If you look around, they actually make dog litter pans. For a small dog, this seems indispensable. I met a gal in New York walking a French Bull and I asked her how she dealt with him at night. She had tried the pads, but then switched to a scented dog litter that attracts them. Might as well try. (10/25/2009)

By damaged05170

I seen on Hammacher Schlemmer they sell a doggie-doo mat that resembles grass and comes with an attracting scent for them (indoor dog restroom it's called). Perhaps they sell it through different merchants as well. Maybe google it see what it comes up with. (10/26/2009)

By melissawas

My daughter's dog won't go outside in inclement weather unless someone walks him. (10/26/2009)

By cookwie

I know they look really funny, but my Shep/Dobie/Rotie cross won't go out without her booties and blanket coat. Try booties and a wrap around blanket coat. (10/26/2009)

By catastrofy

I have two little dogs and I go out there with them. We make it a threesome potty break. Seems like they feel secure when I am with them. If it is raining, I follow them around with a large umbrella until the job gets done. Sure beats cleaning up a mess in the house. (10/26/2009)

By sabrinadog

Next time he potties, take a small piece of his waste and place it on newspapers stacked 4 thick on the floor then praise him with "Good boy, doo-doo on paper!". Keep doing this and one day you will have a paper trained pet you can quickly and easily clean after. Once in the habit, graduate to "go pee-pee/ doo-doo on paper" command, and attempt for your own convenience to get the animal to "go on command". It worked for my two, but may not work for all.

It's the previous, or any, of their own movement odor they need to be stimulated to doo on paper. Your doggie may be too disappointed in not being able to go outside that he/she's just holding it in, but the smell of what the paper's for will certainly encourage them to relieve themselves eventually right where you place the old doo. If possible, keep tossing and replacing the newspaper and announce, "Nice and clean paper for pee-pee/ doo-doo" and point to it several times or bend over when you have the dog's full attention and touch the paper as you say those words, or similar words. It's better than a litter box in that the litter can be eliminated and recycling newspaper is frugal.

Don't neglect the exercise of play and/or walking if only with in the apt/or home. Try not to repeat commands too often. If you feel you must, the pet just hasn't learned it yet. God bless and help you. (10/26/2009)

By lyndagayle62

We recently adopted a small dog from a shelter. We believe her to be around 3 years old. Since day one she has been having accidents. We thought it was just her getting used to the new living situation. We have tried crating her, but now she pees in the crate as well. She doesn't seem to understand that when we take her outside, it is with the intention for her to go to the bathroom. Instead, she is extremely distracted by every little sound or movement. It has also been raining a lot recently and she refuses to pee when it's raining. Please help!

<p>Queen from Brooklyn, NY

<P><font class="titleblue">Feedback:</font>

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

I had the same type situation. Ally was 9 months old when I got her from the SPCA, she is now 5 yrs old. She has a hard time paying attention to doing her potty when there is any kind of noise around. Trucks and kids and even someone closing the car door distracts her. I always tell her "go potty", she has gotten much better with this. Every once in awhile she has a tinkle accident inside.

<p>I don't yell or scold. That is negative attention that you don't want to set up with the dog. Take the dog to the same place and keep telling it, "go potty". Don't let the dog be alone inside for a second either. As soon as any different kind of behavior starts, ask if they have to go potty. Ally will go to the door then. But if the dog starts smelling around, take him outside.

<p>Hope this helps. Remember, you don't know what kind of life the dog had before you came along. Be patient. They may have let him go inside. (09/08/2006)

<p> By <a href="http://www.thri … /a></p>

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

Hello,
<br>Thank you for adopting from a shelter, that was very kind of you. I have worked in a Veterinary Hospital for well over 25 years and my experience is that your new baby is just trying to get used to her new surroundings. You don't know if she has had any trauma from her past care takers.

<p>Make sure to take her out about 10 minutes after she eats/drinks and first thing in the morning, do not wait. Make sure to give her lots of praise when she goes, you might want to offer her a treat, please do not scold her. Dogs sometimes do not like to go out in the rain, not because it is wet but because the sound hurts their ears. Dogs hearing is about 10 times more acute than ours.

<p>I hope this helps. Take Care. (09/08/2006)

<p>By Sherri</p>

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

Just a thought, I wonder if your little one has been trained to go in a litter box by her former owners? You never know what has happened in her life before you got her. Thank you for saving her from the pound. We also got our family member from the pound 12 years ago and had to deal with what had happened to her in the past. She quickly learned to trust and love us as we do her. Good luck. (09/12/2006)

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

I wish that there was something I could be told that would reassure me that my dog will not pee in the house. I have a mini dachshund and she seemed very confused at first and would run in to the house to potty. I felt like it was a new environment thing at first. She would also go in her kennel, it didn't matter poop or pee, and not make a sound. So gross! It would get all over her.

<p>I stay at home so taking her out was no problem and she gets plenty of exercise with my son chasing her and playing fetch. So inside I kept her on a leash with me or tie down so I could watch her more closely because she pees on my son's bed, under the beds, on any clothes that are on the floor any rug or pillow from the couch (basically anything).

<p>The leash things works pretty good. She has started recently to actually go to the door to go out but it is quick I have to let her out right then or she's going. Watching to make sure they go before they come in the house is the most important but sometimes hard thing to do. She is so small sometimes it's hard to tell, but she would also fake it too. I couldn't believe it. I can tell a huge difference in her attitude if she isn't on the leash or hasn't been in a day. Expect the dog to come back out. Getting in my purse scavenging, diaper bag tearing, trash getter, sock chewer.

<p>Sometimes it seems like the second I say "good doggy" I am regretting it, lol. She is 1 and a half now. I have started to think she has separation anxiety because I noticed the bad behavior more if I leave the house. So now when I come home I have been more assertive with her and not just petting her to death, which is probably a lot of the problem. But probably this all comes from her loving us and wanting to make sure she could never lose us. So we will continue to love her back. I will pray for you and your doggy, please pray for us. (04/16/2008)

<p>By Hanna</p>

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

I saw on one of the Dog training shows 2 things that may be applicable: One; take the dog out very frequently. And two; there is something called a "pee stick" that you can buy that is permeated with another dogs urine and seems to make them want to go on it. Good luck! (01/03/2009)

<p>By Nancy</p>

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

I recently adopted a 3 year old dachshund from dachshund rescue. The first week I had my new dog, it poured rain every day. Naturally, being a dachshund, the dog would not go outside. He'd have a few accidents in the house but for the most part, he would hold it. I believe I solved the problem by pretty much following him around the house. When it looked like he would go, I ran him outside.

<p>I also purchased some spray from Pet Smart: "Simple Solution - Potty Training Aid." You use it inside or outside. I spray it on the two places where he did go. I don't know if this was a coincidence or not, but it worked immediately. Oh, I also signed up for a free potty training class at Pet Smart. (01/07/2009)

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

I have had a rough experience house training my puppy the last couple of months. I used pee pads, and it got to the point where she would only pee or poop inside (and she had bad aim, so she missed the pad about half the time). But I eventually got the inspired idea to put the pad outside until she got used to it. I don't know if it will work for a dog not use to the pads, but if they are the kind that attract a dog to pee on them, it might. Worth a shot. (01/29/2009)

<p>By brandy</p>

<h3>RE: Dog Won't Pee Outside</h3>

I like clicker training, I sometimes just make a clicking sound with my mouth. You click on a behavior that is good and offer a treat. Start with the sit command. The dog needs to learn to learn and that it is fun. Ignore mistakes in the house. Tell the dog to sit. Hold a treat in front of his nose and lift it up. When his but goes down, do a clicking sound and produce another better treat for him. Do this about 5 times every day.

<p>When you go outside, make it seem exciting and fun. Throw new toys out there without him knowing that you did it. Let him find a rawhide or a treat or a bone from the pet store, act surprised when he finds it and praise him. Some dogs are afraid of outdoors because of the noise and many smells. When he eventually pees, make a clicking noise and give him a treat right then and say, "Yay, you went to the potty! Good boy".

<p>I hope this helps! :) (01/29/2009)

<p> By <a href="http://www.thri … 7">Robyn Fed</a></p>