Previously House Trained Dog Peeing Indoors

Your dog could be reacting to changes in the household or possibly have a health problem. This guide is about previously house trained dog peeing indoors.

Dog accidents may be a sign of a bladder infection. When my dog had bladder infection it took three or four weeks worth of antibiotics to clear it up. She hasn't gotten it back since. She had the same symptoms as the dog that pees on the bed.

By Granny from Austin, MN

My Lulu, a Japanese Spritz is potty trained and recently has been pooping and peeing sometimes at home. We bought her 3 weeks ago and she recently started sneezing and peeing inside. What should I do?

By Diana from Ghazieh, Lebanon

Answers

Best Answer

I have some questions here. You say she is certainly potty trained, yet you only bought her three weeks ago. What is your guarantee she is potty trained?

Was the dog in a kennel, a store or in a person's home when you bought her?
I would suggest you act as if her house training was incomplete and continue her training just like you would a puppy.

Best Answer

Potty training is not complete until a dog is about a year old. Keep working with her and I am sure she will improve. Take her to the Vet to check out the sneezing. Make sure she has had her vaccinations.

I have a 4 year old track rescued Greyhound. She has been a challenge since we got her (her sister is fine). For about 8 months she did really well, then recently started peeing in the house on occasion again. We have a neighbor coming in to let both dogs out midday, and we limit the water intake, yet 3 times this month she peed. It is in the same spot all the time even though we use Nature's Miracle to clean it up. It is not a medical issue, and seems to happen if we are home after 6pm. Is she afraid of the dark? We are getting frustrated trying to figure out what she is thinking. Any thoughts?

By Sally from Allentown, PA

Answers

Try leaving the TV or radio on for human voices and music. It comforts them and makes it feel like someone is at home.

These are high energy dogs. If you don't have a bicycle, get one and get her out the door quick, before she pees and get her out for some good exercise. She needs this. It's good for both of you.

Actually, greyhounds are very low-energy dogs. Even when they are at the track, they are housed in crates for 20 or more hours a day, and race only twice a week, for about 30 seconds at a time. Greyhounds are the ultimate couch potatoes, and do just fine with potty walks 3 or 4 times a day, and perhaps a couple of longer walks a week. While many enjoy an occasional run in a fenced area, they do not "have" to run to be happy. They love long naps on soft cushy beds and couches!As far as the peeing goes, mine does that too!

I have found it's better when I keep him on a strict schedule (walks and feedings at the same time every day), but am frustrated as well.

I have had that problem with both of my dogs at times. Clean the spot & if you have a child's gate put it up so that the dog can't return to that spot for 2 - 3 weeks minimum. If a gate is not possible, whatever you do, do not use a rug, but sit something on the spot when it dries to keep the dogs away from it. I know that this sounds like a lot of trouble but it will give your carpet time to get the smell out and keep the dogs from going back to that spot because that is exactly what they will do. I know the gate is an inconvenience, but it works!

You can also use some the urine smell removal products, on and around the spot and the gate or whatever you use to cover the spot. It is also helpful in speeding up the process. The products range in prices from low to very expensive. Arm and Hammer makes a couple of good products that are not expensive and work ok. Believe me I have had my dogs for 4 yrs & have used this procedure 4 or 5 times, with a 100 percent success rate. Also make sure your pets are actually going to the bathroom when you take them outside. My dogs will go out on the porch but if they get spooked they may not get off the porch to go bathroom, so when I let them out I go with and get them excited about going outside.

I normally give them a small treat when they come back in if they behave well. Small treats are great for training even the most stubborn dogs. On stormy days it is a little tough, but I put on a rain coat and take my dogs out when the rain slacks off. I sometimes have to carry my smaller dog to an area under the trees where it is hardly raining at all. I always make sure I have puppy pads down on stormy days because both dogs are scared of thunder and if it storms all day it is very hard to get in 4 or 5 walks. Sometimes our animals may frustrate us but if we love them we must take the time to work with them and make sure they get enough love, exercise and outside time. I have put a picture of my smaller dog with this feedback.

My dog, Yogi, is 3 yrs old. He has been with me since he was 1 and a half. Although we bring him outdoors 3 times a day he is still peeing in the house randomly. Please help with some possible solutions, as I fear my hubby is getting fed up with his actions and I'm afraid he wants to give him up for adoption. I would hate to see this happen.

By Alicia

Answers

Best Answer

There can be many reasons why Yogi has trouble keeping his urination needs to your schedule. He may have a medical problem that results in his inability to hold his urine. Take your dog to your vet to rule out any medical issues. You vet can also help you with suggestions to help you help Yogi. If possible, you might consider a "doggie door" to allow Yogi to go outside when he needs to pee.

I have a 3 year old lab and and 1 year old Catahoula. Both are fully housebroken and have been for quite some time. Every day when I get home from work I immediately let them both out to use the bathroom and then run around and play together a while. When I was training them I would take them out on a leash and make them pee and poop before I would let them off to play so they know the order of how things need to work. Yesterday, about 30 minutes after I let them back in my Lab starting peeing on the floor. I stopped him and made him go outside to finish. He came back in and 30 minutes later did it again.

Tonight my husband and I were on one side of the house and both of our dogs were in the dining room laying on their beds. My husband walks into the room and again my Lab was peeing all over the floor. We get that cleaned and our Catahoula follows us to the bedroom jumps on the bed and pees all over it. It's large amounts of pee. They haven't been drinking more water than usual and I let them out to go out the same number of times as usual. What could be wrong?

By Jess B

We (Tessa and I) have recently moved to Florida with my sister-in-law and their Beagle-Lab mix dog. My 4 year old Lab is peeing a significant amount of urine in the dining area lately, even when we are in the house! She has plenty of opportunity to go outside, has no issues with the other dog, no issues with potty training, and goes on daily walks. Any suggestions?

By Jennifer

Answers

Best Answer

Have you taken her to the vet? Usually when they do things they know you don't like, it's because they can't help it. How does she act when you find it or see her at it? Does she look ashamed? When my lab was doing this, she had an infection. Before doing anything else, I would have her checked out there.

As a side note, labs are known to be spirited and (I called mine psycho) spiteful. She might be jealous of the new dog and angry that now she's sharing attention with another dog. She chewed up my stuff when she thought I was slighting her. In that case, it's best to continue to reinforce that it is bad behavior so she knows you're unhappy with her when she does it. Eventually, she'll pick you over that.

My fiance and I have three dogs; a Boxer, and two Yorkies from different parents. Our oldest Yorkie's name is Lexi. The younger is Chloe. We got both of them when they were close to six weeks, Lexi is 1 1/2 years old and Chloe is almost 1. When we first got Lexi we house trained her, and then when we got Chloe we house trained her. Lexi was already trained when we got Chloe. Recently they have been making messes in the house at night when we are asleep. Is there a way to train them to wake me up at night if they need to go out?

Now they have been relieving themselves at other times of day when we are home. During the day when we are at work, they all stay outside. We are getting so frustrated and don't know what to do anymore. We discipline them by putting their nose by the spot and tapping them on the nose and saying "NO". Are we doing something wrong with this? Is there another way to discipline them that would be better?

By Brittany

Answers

Best Answer

The nose in the puddle training method has been pretty much debunked. If you do not catch a dog within 10 seconds and correct it, it does not have any idea what you are getting at. Check this website for ideas. It is a common problem. Good luck.

My 8 month old Cocker Spaniel has been house trained for months and has a dog flap so he has constant access to the garden. I have not had any problems for months, except the very occasional accident at the back door when it has been raining a lot. Little wimp ;)
However, all of a sudden he has now started to wee in the front hall way at night. He has free run of the house at bedtime and sleeps in my room on his bed, the area that he is weeing on is the only carpeted area downstairs. I can't help but think that he is wimpy and because he knows I am in bed he is just being lazy going at the bottom of the stairs rather than to the back door.
Any ideas?

By Georgea

I have a spayed 3 1/2 year old GSD who has never peed or pooped in the house. Recently, a female neighbor, who also has dogs and is a pet-sitter, has started coming over to the house. Twice now my GSD has folded her ears back and peed the floor in front of my neighbor. She doesn't do that with anyone else. What's going on?

By Richard F.

My grandson who was born 5-1-2016 and his mum live with me. My dog has never peed in the house before, yet for 2 weeks now she keeps peeing on her bedding and just a few days ago peed on my daughter's bed. I don't know what to do.

I have a very smart, moody dog, named Tyson. My boyfriend and he had a a very strong bond. We had just moved in to a new house when my boyfriend of 3 years died. This was Tyson's longest lasting home. I got him when he was 1. It was his 3rd home and I want this to stay his forever home, he adds a part to our family that nothing can replace. Since my BF's death Tyson began peeing and pooping on my BF's stuff and only his stuff. I know that my baby is hurting, but I don't know what to do. Anyone else ever had this problem?

By Lacy D.

I adopted a rescue dog last weekend. Her foster mom said that she didn't have any accidents while she had her, about 4 months. From what we can tell, she has had multiple litters of puppies. She had been the perfect dog up until yesterday when she started to pee in the house, even when we would bring her out often. She has also become a bit destructive while we are gone. We still love her, but are not sure why her behavior has changed so fast.

By Sue C.

We adopted a 2 year old female hound/Pointer mix from a shelter 4 months ago. She has adjusted to our home beautifully except for chasing the cat (!) and about once every month, she pees in the house - a different place each time, but "always" on a carpet.

The frustrating part is that we work at home and so can take her out almost anytime she "asks" which ends up being about every 2-3 hours during the day. We always put her on a leash for a walk since our yard is not fenced. The fact that it isn't a constant problem makes me think it isn't a medical issue. I have tried to analyze the situations to figure out what's the common thread. In each case it seems to be situations when it may have been slightly over that 2 or 3 hour timeframe since her last walk.

Given her age (2 years, not a puppy) and the fact that clearly she can "hold it" for 10-12 hours at night, or for 5-6 hours when we are out of the house and she is in her crate - this has been frustrating! It almost seems as though it is spiteful, "if you can't take me out on my preferred schedule you will pay!"

Have we "spoiled" her by walking her on such a frequent schedule? - and if so, how do we get her to hold it for longer periods of time? My carpets/rugs can't take much more of this - and neither can my husband!

By E. A. H.

Our German shepherd puppy is 10 months old and has been house trained for about 6 months! When we are at home at night in bed she is left in the hallway and kitchen and does not make any mess some times up to 8 hours at night. But if we leave her for an hour in the day on her own, we come back to wee and poo every where. When we first started to leave her she never made a mess. Any suggestions?

By Chyvonne j from Hailsham

I have two dogs at home, a Schnauzer and a mix Silky Terrier. Both are around 6 years old. And they roam freely in my house. There is a specially designated area for my dogs to pee and poop inside the house and they have been doing so all along, until half a year ago (or maybe longer). My Schnauzer started peeing on the floor near the designated area.

Then recently it got worse as he pees even in the living room, kitchen, and even at his sleeping area (basically every corner in the house is possible). Most of the time, he does that only when you are not looking. But I did catch him peeing with my own eyes before and that is when I sounded and showed that I'm upset.

I am told that you need to show your dog that you're upset only when you catch him peeing wrongly and not after the action is done and only evidence is left behind. However, apparently it still didn't work. I've even tried sounding at him after the pee is found and have been doing it consistently, but it isn't helping.

He does seem to know and feel guilty about it, yet he is still doing it. I really feel helpless about it. I am not sure why he's doing it and have no idea how to solve the problem. As mentioned, this has been going on for quite some time now. Sometimes it's as frequent as twice a day and sometimes there is 'peace' for one whole week. It's basically done very randomly. I would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me on this problem of mine. Thanks in advance! :)

I am just after some advice as we are really at a loss as to what to do. We have 2 Yorkie dogs a male and a female they are both coming up to 2 years old, both are neutered. Our female is wetting everywhere in the house, mainly on her beds and fabric. She seems to have regressed loads from where she was with her house training.

When we got her at 8 weeks she was already house trained as she used to go outside in the garden with her mum and siblings. She obviously had some issues with wetting in the house as she was little, but overall she was really good. She even helped our Yorkie boy who we already had but is from a different litter to go outside. I did have to remove rugs as they would both wet on these, but we did use puppy pads. They go for walks and neither have a problem going outside whilst on walks. She was totally and fully house trained.

The problems started after we went on holiday for 2 weeks. We put them into kennels and ever since she has had problems which seem to be behavioural. They have a crate which is always left open and also a bed in our living room. They both share their beds, but both dogs began to really smell of wee and at first we just couldn't figure out what was happening. I suspected she was weeing in the crate it had, at the time, a fleece type padded bottom and I would regularly wash it, but it was difficult to tell as it totally absorbed everything. Anyhow after weeks of this I noticed that when I had been out and came back to the house she refused to go outside and would run to her bed or her crate. I caught her peeing in her crate, but properly just laying there doing it which she now does regularly. I put her outside and from then the fun has begun!

Our male doesn't wet anywhere apart from outside in the garden and he tells you when he wants to go out. I bought them 2 new beds that are waterproof, one for our living room and one for their crate. When put outside she will refuse to go, wait until she is inside and run to her bed and wet no matter how long she is in the garden for and she will bark excessively until you let her in causing our neighbours to complain. If she ever does wet outside she is praised loads. I have even opened the garden door and she will go to run outside. But she will then quickly jump on her living room bed and wee with the garden door wide open. She will jump onto curtains and try and wee on those. It's a total nightmare.

We have spoken to the vets and she has no urine infection or bladder problems and her wee doesn't smell or look infected at all. She will totally refuse to go outside when it's very cold, but will go outside and lay in the sun and sun bathe when it's sunny. She is a little diva haha! A cute one though! I have some anti-enzyme spray and clean their beds regularly and spray that and she also goes on 2 walks a day, but it's still not stopping. She will also wet on the floor when she gets excited at seeing someone so I am thinking could there be a bladder issue and we have just been fobbed off by the vets as it's the same vets that neutered her?

Saying that though she is able to hold it for a good few hours until we arrive home. We are just baffled. Luckily we have hard flooring so anything can be cleaned easily, but we also have kids and a baby on the way and it's not ideal hygiene wise. Out of the two dogs she is the most dominant and barks a lot, but at the same time very submissive towards people, yet also demanding of attention. If the male gets stroked and a fuss, she will jump in front of him every time and want attention. Yet she dominates the male dog and has him wrapped around her little paw. I am totally confused by her and want to get this issue sorted so she is a happier dog

I have 3 male dogs, 2 of them are 2 year old Havanese, and the other is a 1 year old Pomeranian. All 3 of them are house trained and go outside. My oldest first dog has just started this new thing where he pees everywhere and anywhere inside the house, but only at night time while I'm sleeping. If I'm awake there are no accidents, but when I wake up in the AM I will find spots on the corner of the couch, near refrigerator, and even by his food & water bowl. I don't know what to do. Should I get dog diapers? Or remove their food/water? Any advice?

I have a 4yr old Border Terrier who has started peeing in the house at night. I put her back in her crate last night and she peed in there also.

By Pat W.

Answers

Best Answer

Sounds like a possible bladder infection or kidney problem. A Vet will be able to tell you.

My dog has suddenly started peeing all over the house. Could this be due to the cat being in heat? He is not marking; it's a lot of pee. I had him checked by a vet; it is not medical.

By P L

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think it would be the cat. I think you need a 2nd opinion. Unless your dog is quite old I think this is a medical problem. Could be a bladder infection, and it could be diabetes (which is not hard to treat). Find a new Vet.

Can steroids and antibiotics cause my dog to pee more often? My sweet girl Athena is a Lab mix, she just got back from the vet, she had an ear infection. Well since then she has been less active, constantly eating, and always wanting to go outside and pee. And I used to be able to leave her for 4-6hrs (working) by herself in my house. Now she can't hold it; is it because of the steroids and antibiotics that are messing with her? Or is it a more serious problem?

By Leonor J.

I need some helpful tips and ideas on what to do with my dog! He's very attached to me and follows me everywhere. When I'm gone at work or just leave the house, he gets mad and pees on the corners of beds, couches, and on the floors. I live with my parents and sisters; this dog gets more attention and love than any other dog I have met.

When I'm not working I'm home and we go for car rides. I take him to Petsmart and play outside. Nothing I do is good enough for this dog and the peeing is getting worse, no matter how many times I let him out to use the bathroom. My family is sick of it and I don't wanna get rid of him. He's my baby, but if something doesn't change we're both going to be kicked out.

By Leslie

Answers

He needs professional dog training.

Crate train the dog.

When you go out put the dog in the kennel. When you come back, take him out to pee or poop. After a while of no accidents like this, you may be able to try it without kenneling him. Either way, this is the best solution so that you both don't have to be without each other.

We used to have this problem also..til we took our furbaby to the vet and he needed medication to control it, so your furbaby might be having problems and cant help what he is doing. We know by experience, so maybe a visit to the vet will help.

I agree with Lisa. Crate train him. I had this problem with my little dog when we moved the last time. He got so mad at me for not paying attention to him that he began pooping on my floor during the night. I work at home, so it's not like I wasn't with him always. I found that he'd become way too spoiled and had developed an entitlement mentality. So, I made life stricter for him. He no longer got his fluffy pillows and human scraps and other extra-nice things. I wasn't mean to him, but he lost a lot of privileges and even had to locked up at night. Then I weened him into being tied on his leash (inside) at night. Until, eventually, no more accidents and I could trust him again.

I know we love spoiling our puppies - But sometimes is spoils them. God bless you, your family, and your puppy. Hope this helps and wish you the best!

I'd take him to the vet because there may be a reason for this. I don't see how dog training has anything to do with peering in the house. Just my opinion.

First, make sure there isn't an underlying medical condition. Then, if there isn't, you should try to watch some episodes of "the Dog Whisperer", or get his book from the library/store & practice what he preaches.

It sounds like the biggest problem is you are treating him like a baby & creating so much anxiety in him that he can't stand it when you leave him. The more you do this, the worse he's going to get & it's not fair to him or anybody else.

You can still love him, and show him how not to be so anxious when you aren't around.

Crate training isn't a bad idea either. If you do it the right way, it becomes a soothing sanctuary that he feels safe in.

I have a 2 year old male dog that has started peeing in the house. I've talked very straight to him; he hides when I yell at him. I don't know what do. Please help.

By Janie S.

Answers

Try letting him out more often. He may be upset with you or another animal in the house?....etc. He may be marking his territory for multiple reasons.

He needs to be checked for a urinary infection.

When you correct him, be sure you correct him in a normal tone of voice. If you shout he is frightened and will not get the message. You need to verbally correct him within 10 seconds of the offense, or he will not connect it to what has happened, and again he will be frightened and/or confused, and will not get the message. Do check for a urinary tract infection; and be sure to clean and deoderize the accident (Natures Miracle enzymatic cleaner) Check to see what has changed that may be upsetting him (new dog next door, new baby, new boyfriend etc) If it can be changed, change it. Otherwise make sure he gets lots of your attention and more exercise, and plenty of trips outside. Good luck!

If your dog is not neutered and not a valid reason that he is not, have him neutered. I also agree with the other people that have responded to your concern.

From what I've read dogs "live in the here and now", and yelling, especially after the accident's discovered is counter productive because they don't know why we're yelling. I agree with the others, rule out a physical problem, an emotional problem, and then I would begin house breaking all over again. Supervised trips outside and lots of praise when he does the appropriate job. P.S. He's beautiful!

Any sudden changes in a dog's behavior should be checked out by a vet immediately. My little Pomeranian started urinating everywhere. Took her to the vet and I found out she was full of kidney stones, over 21 in her bladder. Scolding your dog will make the situation worse by adding stress which your dog doesn't need if he is sick. It is worth every penny to have your dog checked out.

I have a Dachshund male who has been neutered. He is house broken, but tonight he peed on our new couch and next to my son's bed just 40 min after my husband took him out. What should I do to correct his behavior? I am working on finding a trainer, but didn't have time before the move. He had a consultation and they said he is insecure and and afraid which is why he barks at people and doesn't like bigger breeds. But I won't be able to get a trainer for at least a month so I need some advice on what to do on my own. I am going to take him to vet to see if he has a health issue, but his peeing in the house isn't consistent. I think something upset him, but I need to get to bottom of it asap.

We have two 3 year old Cocker Spaniels who are both fully house trained. We have a doggy door and the dogs are free to come and go as they need and want to.

A couple of months ago one or both of them started weeing inside at night time, while we are asleep. We can't think of any changes, they both sleep with us and always have, so we know it's not a separation issue as they are with us when they go to do it. Although on Sunday, I was out early in the morning while my husband was still in bed, I got home to find 5 wees inside - he said that they had been howling.

I have started taking them out to the back grass every night and at regular times to get them into that habit and reward them when they do the toilet. I have also limited their water at night. Last night I took them out at 8.30 and again at 9.30; at 6.30 am I came downstairs to 3 wees inside.

It's too hard to catch them in the act and correct them because we are asleep. I don't believe it's a medical issue, as they don't do it during the day when we are home or at work.

I have no idea what to do or how to break the habit, other than limiting their water at night, taking them out to wee and spraying the areas with spray that's supposed to stop marking. The thing is that it's more than marking, it's not small amounts.

I have 2 Pit breed dogs. One is female and is over 9yrs old and the other is a male and he is 4 yrs old. They both are spaded and neutered. Both have been house trained. We have recently moved to a new house 6 months ago. My 4yr old male Pit has just recently started peeing in front of the back door where he goes outside. He dribbles with pee until he reaches the door and usually has 2 puddles of pee on the floor. He also starts barking which wakes us up at 4 am during these 2 episodes.

I am at home during the day so they both get let out and have plenty time to empty their bladders. He is drinking water excessively that we have noticed because the water bowl is completely empty in the am. After he is let out in the am he goes straight to the water bowl to drink a lot of water. I plan to take him to vet because I have never had any issues like this before. The only thing different in his routine was that I had taken him to the vet to get bathed about 5 days ago because he weighs 117lbs. He is terrified of water and is a big baby, so it's hard to bath him. Please help with any suggestions. Thank you.

I have a 2 year old Boston/Yorkie. She is house broken, she goes outside and uses a pad in the house. We got new sheets, they are animal print, and she peed on them the first night we got them. We cleaned it up and she did it again, so we took the sheets off and put our old ones on. She didn't pee on them.

Then we put the animal print sheets back on and she peed on them again. And this is the first time since she was like 2 months old that she peed on our bed and that is where she sleeps every night. And when we took those sheets off and put the other sheets on again she didn't pee.

Also, I noticed today that there was a wet spot on our couch and she has never peed on the couch before. I am not sure if she threw up and tried to clean it up herself or peed. It wasn't a big spot, but wasn't small either. She is drinking fine, eating fine, and playing and acting herself. She doesn't seem to have a fever. What could be causing this and is this normal?

By Debbie M.

We recently adopted a 3 year old neutered Bichon mixed female and she is now peeing and pooping in the house. We have had her for over a month and she did not do this in the beginning. We also have an 8 year old Jack Russell male who never goes in the house. He is also fixed. How can we stop this?

By Mary

I have a 1 year old Pom and she has been peeing in the house. So my mom wants to keep her in her cage so she won't pee. But I see a difference, she is peeing less. We have puppy pads we put her on. After she uses the puppy pad I would reward her, but my mom says"ut her in her cage". I try to explain that telling her to go to her cage is confusing her so now she won't want to use the puppy pads. Please help.

By Asia S.

I have an 8 yr old Bishon Frise. He is neutered and house broken, but after he goes outside and pees he comes in and pees on the corners of everything. He does it a lot when the grandbaby comes to visit. What can I do to get him to stop? He does it out of spite, I think.

My three year old dog has started urinating on things in the house when left alone. He has a doggy door and can come and go inside and out whenever he pleases so I know it's not a matter of just needing to go.

I recently moved out of my parents' house leaving my 3, 5, and 12 year old dogs behind. My fiancé and I got another dog to help my three year old Lab because he doesn't get along with other dogs and people and a vet said socialization would help. It has not. He just tries to attack our dog even when we get them together a lot. After we introduced them the Lab has been peeing in the house. It started off just a little here or there, but now he pees somewhere in the house at least once a day and it's never in the same spot. I don't know what to do. Help! (Also, he's not fixed)

My dog, even when she was puppy, didn't like peeing outdoors. We trained her to pee inside the compound. There would be some accidents when she would pee inside the house, but since she has given birth to her first litter, she does this quite often.

My Wheaton was just put to sleep and now his buddy, my Yorkie, is peeing and pooping in his kennel when I leave. I know this is some reaction to the other dog being gone, but not sure what to do. Before the Wheaton died I had moved their kennels up to the main floor from the basement because the other dog couldn't walk, but since his death I moved the kennel back to the basement. I just took the Yorkie out before I left and 2 hours later he peed in his kennel.

I have a male Malamute/wolf mix and a male red/white Siberian Husky, a little over a year and slightly under a year in age. Well, as many know these dogs are famous for digging. After escaping and scaring everyone to death, I set up a hot hire along the bottom of the fence line. The issue is both dogs wanted to mark this new thing in their yard, so both peed on the fence multiple times, and have been shocked multiple times. The Malamute/wolf learned easily enough to pee elsewhere, meanwhile my Husky now will not pee in the back yard. He has been going to the backdoor where he knows we will let him out, and instead urinating in the kitchen area right by the door. Often times he holds it so long that he starts to dribble when he is playing.

I have unplugged the hot wire, though it is still up (which was always my intention), and my Husky has made progress. He for the first day wouldn't even leave the porch area outside, but still refuses to urinate out there. It's been two or three weeks now of daily accidents for my Husky.

It's getting very frustrating, he is such a good boy, I don't know what else to do. I let him out front a few times a day where he will urinate, but I have been trying to encourage him to go back to his usual routine outside as my front yard is not fenced a he has to be let out on the leash. This is fine when I'm home, though my fiance has a hard time controlling him at his first excitement of exiting the house, and needs to be able to let him out back.

I have walked him around the backyard on leash, he doesn't fight it as much as he did the first couple days. I have lured him around with treats, up to the fence line and all around the yard. I praise him even if I get just the smallest marking outside. I have not been the most consistent to this point, as I was hoping his fear would subside. But it's not looking like it. Any suggestions dog owners?

I don't know what to do with my 9 year old female Rat Terrier dog. She is having problems urinating all inside and on my rugs. What should I do?

By Marie

Load More