Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside

House training your dog takes patience and consistency. Even dogs that have been house trained may revert back to pooping and peeing in the house. Determining the cause may be difficult. This is a guide about dog peeing and pooping inside.

We rescued a dog in the beginning of September and the minute we brought her home she had diarrhea all over our room's carpet! Now 2 months later we are still having accidents in the house. The accidents happen often; then she's really good about going outside. However, then it starts happening inside repeatedly again! We know she was used for breeding and had 1 litter. Then issues caused her to be neutered and the owners left her at the vet. We love her, but can't continue to live like this, it's so gross! Please help.

Answers

Best Answer

This is so sad and many breeders don't treat their female dog good. They are normally locked in cages and never taken out for walks or even trained to pee and poop outside.

1. Unfortunately, you will need to confine her in a smaller space and not give her too much freedom in your home right now.
  2. If she is a small dog a child's playpen works great. You'll need to line the bottom of the playpen with some plastic to protect your floor and cover this with a towel or blanket. You'll also need to add some puppy pads or newspaper to the area for her to pee and poop on.
  3. Ad

4. Every hour on the hour you need to remove the dog and take it outside for a walk. At this time make sure the dog is peeing and pooping on your walks. They might not always poop, but they should pee.
  5. Half an hour after feeing the dog she needs to go out for a walk and poop. Furthermore, when the dog wakes up from a nap, in the morning, and before going down in the evening it has to go out immediately to pee and poop.
  6. You can allow the dog in the house with you when you're home and you can watch the dog. If you see the dog move around or leave the area you are in, immediately take the dog outside, they are looking for a place to pee or poop.
  7. This is going to take time. I am not one to put a dog in a crate and lock it away. This poor dog was in a cage and I'm afraid it isn't a good idea to put her in a crate. I have used the playpen method on the small puppies I had and this seemed to work the best for me.
  8. Ad

9. It will take time and it is hard. They will have accidents and when they do they need to go back in the playpen and you can't spank them or get angry with them.

I adopted my dog about 3 months ago and she's always been very good with doing her business outside. She's a Border Collie and 16 months old. Lately, she has being occasionally peeing and pooping quite often inside. It usually happens right after I take her for a walk, but she poops on her walk! And then comes inside and poops again.

This morning she did it on my bed, which she never has before. I just don't know why she's doing this. She's on new meds because she hurt her leg at the dog park, could that be it? She also poops in other peoples houses I bring her to, but I figure that's more of an anxiety thing, due to being in an unfamiliar place. I just don't know why she's pooping all the time in my place, and how to stop it.

Any advice?

Answers

Best Answer

Why a dog pee and poops inside.

1. If there is any change in a dog's routine, diet, medication, or food this can cause your dog to start peeing and pooping inside the home.
  2. You have determined that the dog is taking new meds for an injury, they received at the park.
  3. This could cause the dog to have issues with going outside to do their business.
  4. I would make a phone call to the vet and explain the problem.
  5. Maybe your dog is having an upset stomach from the new medication.
  6. Some medications don't agree with all animals.
  7. If the dog is feeling an upset stomach this will cause the dog to pee and poop more often than normal.
  8. If the dog is hurt from the accident and when it goes out for a walk it is hurting this will stop it from going to the toilet outside. When the dog comes back in he is not so stressed then they will go to the bathroom inside the home.
  9. Ad

10. I would ask the vet if there is a possibility that the medication that he has put your dog on has caused the dog to have an upset stomach. Maybe they can change the dog's medication and this will stop the problem.

I have a five year old Dachsie female (Abbie) who has regressed to puppy hood. She has had back trouble and has been sick. She pees on the carpet, so I have been keeping her in her crate. She does not drink much when she is in the crate and will not pee outside. After a few days, she will pee and poop on the floor because she cannot hold it.

I do not know the best way to train her again. I am used to her being with me all the time and feel mean to keep her in the crate. I don't know if this makes sense, but I need help. I guess my question is, how to you retrain a five year old? And how long do I let her out to spend time with her? And when I do, she may pee on the carpet. It is too hot to take her outside and spend time with her. How do I make it so that she does not feel abandoned and hate her crate?

By Elizabeth N.

Answers

Just train it!

Have you discussed this problem with your vet? He/she should be able to give you some info. For instance, there could be a medical problem causing this break in toilet training. Your vet should be able to advise you about behavioral issues, too. Another excellent source of info is the ASPCA - they have a "virtual pet behaviorist" on their website, ASPCA.org. Also, try calling your local ASPCA and Humane Society for pet behaviorist advice. You could also go to the library and read up on the subject. There are many good sources of info. I suppose you've already tried googling the topic?

Good luck to you and your dog. Please don't give up!

Me again. The url for behaviorist is http://www.aspcabehavior.org

The first thing I would do is take her to the Vet to see if there is an underlying cause for her not being able to hold her pee. In the meantime, I'd invest in a 'puppy pen' you can set it up inside your house with potty pads on the floor so that she isn't being left to "live" (& I use the term lightly) her life away in a small box. Living in a crate is not 'living'.

The potty pads are a good idea. As well as newspapers, just like when you're first training a puppy. Or you could try a container (something similar to the tray made to put under a washing machine to collect any leaks, or even a boot tray, depending on her size) with some dirt in it. You don't need a lot of dirt, just enough for her to smell and associate it with the outdoors. Keep an old rug around it so her paws will clean off a bit when she comes out. One of those artificial grass rugs works well. It ends up being almost like a litter box, but the extra work is well worth it to save your floors. Introduce her to the box once it's set up so she'll hopefully realize that's the place to "go". I'd check with the Vet, too, if this continues. Lots of luck to you!

You did not state what her back-problems were and why she had been sick. In her best interest please consult your Veterinarian she may have a urinary tract infection or a number of other problems. There is only one person who can professionally diagnose this. She is a lovely girl who can't help herself in these situations and depends on you to help her. Good luck.

She obviously knows to hold her pee as you said she holds it for days at a time. I would crate train her which will mean a lot of work on your part. Take her outside regularly (at least every couple of hours) and stay outside for a while to give her a chance to go. Talk to your Vet first and get to the root of the problem! Good luck.

Awww! Such a precious furbaby. She is so cute and what a pretty face. I also love Dashies. I used to have one also but she got too heavy and it broke her back down and her spine broke down into her spinal column and she passed away. I still miss her so much, her beautiful big brown eyes and her long flowing ears and short feet.

You mentioned that your dog has back problems and has been sick. Have you spoken to your vet about the potty problems Abby has been having? If the dog was sick and treated with meds, is it possible that she may have some kidney problems, or a reaction to the meds? Do you have a doggy door in your house so Abby can get in and out as she needs to? The doggy door has been a real life saver for my two dogs. and no more accidents! Also, maybe Abby's back hurts so she won't go outside to go potty? Just some thoughts about the situation, maybe I have mentioned something that might help. Good luck! Give her lots of hugs and kisses!

I have an American Akita who is about 18 months old. He can't seem to go through the night without peeing or pooping in my kitchen. We have an enclosed outside area for him which he can get to in the night, but doesn't. We have tried all sorts of cleaning products to get rid of the scent, but he still does it in the exact same place. We don't know what to do. We give him a bowl full of water in the morning and then with his dinner, but take it away at night. During the day he goes outside to do his business. Does anyone have any advise? I'm open to all suggestions.

Our 2 year old Dachshund has suddenly forgotten that she was house trained. She will not do her business outside anymore. I take her out and she refuses to do anything and comes right back in and as soon as you turn your back she uses the throw rugs. We have taken them up so now she uses the hardwood floor. What do I do? We have a 7 year old spoiled Lab mix that never goes in the house.

I have a 16 month old male, neutered Schnauzer. He is house trained. He never goes upstairs in the house, but he sneaks out of my sight and goes down to the rec room and pees and poops down there always in the same spot. He goes to the far end of the room and goes just in front of the far wall.

We spend a lot of time at my boyfriend's house and he never does it while we are there, but as soon as I come home he does it again.

He is fed on a schedule and taken out and walked on a schedule and it's the same schedule here as at my boyfriend's house. He has been vet checked and is healthy. It's not necessarily when I go out that he does it. He just randomly sneaks downstairs and goes.

The only thought I have is that my adult son lives with me and his bedroom is in the basement. He is not home much between working and being at his girlfriend's and when he does come home he doesn't really pay much attention to the dog (even though the dog loves him to death) and I'm wondering if the peeing and pooping is an intentional thing to protest my son not being home or not giving him enough attention.

Does anyone have any suggestions? He has ruined my carpet downstairs and I'd really like to correct this before I get new carpet. I've done all the retaining stuff and it didn't make any difference. He knows to go outside and always does, but this behavior in the house has to stop.

Suggestions please!

Thanks for your time!

I have two Maltese dogs that poop and pee in the living room of the house every night. The male is 3 years old and the female is 2 years old. I want to keep them, but I am at the point to where if I don't get this taken care of soon I will take them to an animal shelter and just let them find them a new home. You wake up in the morning to this and have to pick it up every morning.

My Pit Bull is 3 years old. He has the back door open all night, but lately he's been going in the kitchen more than once a night. What do I do?

I have a dog. He is part Chi/Pom. I got him when he was 4 months old, he is now 1 and a half years. He was fully trained by me when I got him. We moved a year ago and had him retrained. My brother-in-law brought over his new dog and now he is pooing and peeing all over the house.

He has no health issues. He goes to the door every 1/2 hr, but only to mark his area then comes in and does his duty. He howls when outside and barks and growls all the time. He goes around in circles growling at himself and growls when anyone picks him up, including me. I have tried everything to stop him, from spraying cinnamon or vinegar along with Javex to disinfect.

Last week he peed on my couch for the first time, and has humped blankets, his bed, etc. He is very hyper, he chases the cat all over 3 floors until he is exhausted at least 3 - 4 times a day. He growls and snaps at people when you take a walk with him and refuses to poo outside. He doesn't eat like a normal dog, he picks out pieces of the dry food and puts the rest on the floor making a huge mess. He runs outside when he sees the opportunity to go down the main street, then he comes back when I shout to him. Thus he has to be chained outside each time he goes outside. I am afraid he is going to get hit by a car as it is very busy.

When I first got him the owners said he was a quiet dog, but he has been barking every since. I was told if he peed to rub nose in it, bad mistake wrong thing to do. I was told if he growled or showed any bad behavior to smack him on the nose, bad mistake too. I am desperately calling out for help in this. I am at my wits end with him. Please help me or I will have to get rid of him and I love him regardless.

I have a 3 year old Pit mix. I've had him for over 2 years. He is fully house trained. I recently started dating a guy and my dog goes with me to his house. My dog is now peeing and pooping in his basement. He has never done this before. I don't get it; he doesn't let me know he needs to go out or anything. He just does it. He used to have a cat, but not anymore and also lives in a townhouse with dogs next door.

I have a Maltese x Westie, who is 2 years old. He has a doggie door to use to go outside when he wants. He has, within the last 2 weeks, started to go to the laundry near our toilet to do his business during the night. I get up sometimes during the night to find this right next to the toilet door and as I have had a knee replacement sometimes have slipped in his wee as I haven't seen it before it's too late. Now he normally goes out before we retire to bed and up until recently always used to go out to do his business. How do I stop him from doing this please! What is the reason he is now doing this?

Answers

I'm not sure of the reason. But he may have got the idea he should go in the bathroom because you do. He also may be scared to go out. Maybe he saw something that frightened him while he was out there.

First of all, keep the bathroom floor really clean. Pine Sol would be good. I'd suggest getting laundry out of baskets on the floor. Use a hamper that has a lid and put dirty clothes directly into it.

Next, take the dog out to "go" for a while like you did when you were potty training him. You should be able to retrain him.

My dog is a Shepherd mix. She has been pooping and peeing on new or clean carpet. It's always in the same hallway and it's everytime we rug clean the carpet. I just bought a runner for that hallway and now she makes sure she pees and poops on it as soon as she can. She is fully housetrained and has 24/7 acess to the backyard to go. Her food hasn't changed and she is very active and healthy! We do have 2 other dogs and they know she is the dominant and we have never had any issues with the other dogs doing this.

Answers

Do you have her fixed? I had this issue with my male dog when I brought home a new baby female of the same breed. He decided to pee all over my home like he was making his territory. I finally got so angry with him because he is fully house broken I rubbed his nose it in and put him outside. Actually it was my BF who rubbed the dogs nose in this one and then put him outside. Maybe the smell of the products used to clean the rug are what triggers her to do this one. You might want to try and keep her out side or away from this area for a few days until the smell goes away.

You're taking her scent away and she's trying to put it back.

Your problem is that your dog doesn't see you as head of the household. She has herself in that role. You are disrespecting your "pack leader" by removing her scent that marks her territory.

You really need to be seen in a leadership position in your own house. Here are some links to give you some ideas of how to accomplish this. The type of training you need to use is called pack leader training.

Shop around and find a training course you're most comfortable with.
https://www.ces  /five-techniques

http://www.cbrr  s/packleader.htm

http://www.amaz  rm/dp/0307381676

http://www.amaz  5PN3TS1E47E6MPC8

Thank you for the links i will check them out!

Yes shes fixed....i use the same cleaners all the time, and have made sure she can't be in that area and after a week she runes right back and does it again.

My 9 year old dog has been peeing and pooping inside within half an hour of being indoors, for the past 3 months. She had previously been house trained and never had a problem. Please advise; I'm at the end of my tether.

I have a 2yr old male Shih Tzu that was previously house trained, but has reacently started going to the toilet indoors since we got a female puppy of the same breed. How can I take control of the situation and have him house trained again as everything I seem to try doesn't seem to work?

My 1 year old Staffie cross Shar Pei has recently started weeing and pooing on our rug. I think it may be because she has had less walks, but I took her on a really long walk today and we came back and she peed and pooed on the rug. What shall I do to stop this?

I have a 10 yr. old, neutered, male Malti-poo who has recently been urinating and pooping in the house, but only while we are home! We recently purchased new living room furniture and put up a gate to prevent him from sitting on the furniture like he used to. Is he being spiteful? How do I correct his behavior?

I have two small dogs, a Pomeranian/Poodle 5 years old and a Chihuahua/Yorkie 4 years old. Both are very well potty trained, but when it's raining outside they will not do their business outside. So I bought them both rain jackets and they won't do their business outside. Please somebody help me, what should I do?

Answers

Anonymous

I have the same problem, we have a yorkey mix, when rain is coming she has to go in her pen. I take her out of the pen right back outside. She does go but I am the one who needs a rain coat as she wont go off the porch without me. lol

I left my 1 year old Cockapoo for the first time about a week ago with a wonderful woman in her home. There are a few other dogs also there. When I picked up "Oliver" (my Cockapoo) everything seemed fine. A day later I am finding presents (poop and pee) in the house. He never has done this before. I walk him at the normal times. Not sure what to do here. Any suggestions?

By Mary Ellen

Answers

Sounds like he's a wee bit mad at you for leaving him.

I need some suggestions of what I can do to help my Shih Tzu, Maggie. I have had her for 13 years and she has always been a good girl. She would never mess on the floor or chew on anything and she was never aggressive.

Load More