House Trained Dog Going Inside

Our 2 year old Dachshund has suddenly forgotten that she was house trained. She will not do her business outside anymore. I take her out and she refuses to do anything and comes right back in and as soon as you turn your back she uses the throw rugs. We have taken them up so now she uses the hardwood floor. What do I do? We have a 7 year old spoiled Lab mix that never goes in the house.

Your dog could have a medical problem and needs to see a vet. If your dog has always gone to the toilet outside and this is something new I would make an appoint to have her check out with your vet.

Has there been any changes around the house to make her uncomfortable with her routine? If not, I agree with taking her to the vet.

While you are trying to determine the cause of the change in habits you can try putting down puppy pads so clean up is easier. If they work just try moving them a little each time until they have moved back outside. If the pads work then you can try putting some outside where you want the dog to go and see if that encourages them. :)

The first thing you need to do is use an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle to remove all the scent. Make sure your dog has no medical issues causing the incontinence.

If she is fine, you will have to re-train her. Have a strict feeding and walking schedule and remove food between meals. The dog may have to be crated if she keeps going in the house.

Anonymous

Your dog should be checked out by a vet to see if there is anything wrong that is causing her to pee and poop in the house. Is she spayed if she isn't that can be creating the problem. Was she frightened by anything outside that caused this problem. If she was try walking her in a different place. If I were you I would go with whatever advice the vet would give you.

This problem has a tendency to make dog owners very frustrated and forget to not be angry. I hope some of the suggestions offered will help you and your baby overcome this exasperating problem.

There are generally always underlying problems when a well trained dog changes their behavior but finding them is not always easy. A health problem should always be checked out first and of course discuss this problem with your vet. The second reason many dogs change is that something in the dog's life has changed. It may seem minor to us but just a small change in their routine can confuse them.
If it is not a health problem then try to think back to when this first started to see if there were any changes in your routine (or theirs). No matter the reason, change back will take time and patience. Cleaning the floor and keeping it clean will probably be the biggest job of all so try to isolate her territory as much as possible even if it means putting her in a crate or a laundry (should have door open with folding door in opening so she will not feel so isolated).
I agree that using puppy pads or anything similar (even newspaper if she will use it) and if she is not isolated keep moving her pads closer to the door you normally use to take her outside. Pads are expensive but better to use as they have a plastic backing so less clean up will be necessary.

Here is a link to some suggestions (written by trainers).

www.dogchatforum.com/adult-dog-suddenly-peeing-in-house...

pethelpful.com/.../Why-Would-a-House-Trained-Dog-Start...

www.mnn.com/.../why-is-my-adult-dog-suddenly-going...

Anonymous

I have a Bishon Frise and I traineding i I have a dog that pees and poops on a puppy pad bud sometimes misses and my carpet is getting stained....please help, I live in a flat and don't have a garden to let her out to...I now have to resort to getting a cleaning firm to clean my carpet, I'm in my seventies and finding it hard going and expensive.