Dog Peeing in the House

There are many reasons your dog may be peeing in the house under a variety of circumstances. This is a guide about dog peeing in the house.

Your dog could be reacting to changes in the household or possibly have a health problem. This guide is about previously house trained dog peeing indoors.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

It is frustrating and confusing when your house trained dog backslides. This is a guide about what to do when a previously house broken dog has started pooping in the house.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Introducing a new dog into your home can cause stress to other pets you may already own. This is a guide about dog peeing inside after new dog arrived.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about dog in heat peeing inside. It is frustrating when a house trained dog who is having her cycle starts peeing inside.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

There are many reasons a previously house trained dog begins to pee in the house, including advancing age. This is a guide about old dog peeing in house.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about when a dog pees in house when left alone. Even a house trained dog will have accidents under certain circumstances.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about what to do if a dog pees in the house when excited. Some dogs can accidentally pee when they become excited.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My new APBT is 10 months old and has been in many homes. I am having some problems with her doing pee pee a lot even though I take her out a lot. Stress maybe?

By Cynder from CT

Answers

Best Answer

She may have some insecurity and marking with urine is a way of making her surroundings feel familar. Are you getting all the old urine odor removed as this is an invitation to remark. I rescued a insecure male a year ago and we are still working on the marking issue. Two things I have used and were recommended on a dog internet site, were not to let the dog have free run of the house, so crating when unsupervised. Also you can buy doggie underpants (or make them from fabric and Velcro) which helps when they sneak away from you. Our guy knows not to do it when we are looking :). Best of luck and let us know if anything works. Time and feeling more secure may help too.

My 10 year old Yorkie has been peeing everywhere in the house. He has a spot in the bathroom where he can pee, but he doesn't use it as much as before. I'm worried that there might be something wrong with him. What should I do? Thank you.

By Tina from HI

Answers:

Dog Peeing Inside House

If you're worried that there is something wrong with him, take him to the vet. Especially if this is a new behavior, there could be an underlying medical issue. If nothing else, call and see if they can give you any advice over the phone.

And you're going to have to treat the areas where he's been peeing, so he won't come back to them. I suggest you get an enzymatic cleaner. We use Petzyme from Petsmart (I think their brand), but there are other brands around.

Give the vet's office a call. I hope everything is okay with your dog. Best of luck! (04/13/2010)

By mrs.story

Dog Peeing Inside House

My first guess is that there was a male dog in this home before you at some time and he's just making it his home. Sure he's ashamed. They hate being caught being bad, but also I'm wondering if your dog is neutered. In many breeds, if the males are not neutered by a certain age they will mark for life. Has another dog been over? Maybe he's angry? Otherwise please go to the pet store and get a doggy diaper, put a Poise pad in there and that might work. They don't like the wet feeling when they wet their diapers. They're about 20.00 and you can buy bladder control pads at the dollar store. I would definitely put a call into the vet. Some medical conditions like bladder infections or even some doggy diseases can cause frequent urination and it's better to be safe than sorry. But definitely try the diaper. Good luck.

Lynne (10/27/2010)

By vitaloo

We recently moved into a new home, and our 4 year old male Jack Russel is peeing randomly throughout the house. He's always very ashamed of himself after doing it, so he knows it's wrong.

We've had the carpets cleaned and a doggy door installed so he can go out anytime he feels the urge, yet when we are not looking he's not just marking, but full on pee.

What do I do? Making him an outdoor dog is out of the question because of our climate, and he's literally like my 3rd son. Diapers come to mind. Maybe that will shame him into going outside.

By Kim from Denver

Feedback:

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

My grown cat did the same thing. The vet put her on an anti-depressant for about a month and she stopped. (03/04/2010)

By kwnkm

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

You should take your dog to the vet to rule out any medical problems. Then, if everything is good, the vet can make recommendations to modify this behavior. (03/04/2010)

By mrs.story

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

I don't think the dogs feel shame, just that you are unhappy with him for doing it. I know you have to clean the spot well enough so he won't smell that areas urine anymore. I have a Yorkie that did this with a previous owner, and now with us sometimes.

He was purchased from a pet store, and he was a puppy mill puppy. They have no family members or mom to teach them what to do, therefore our Yorkie doesn't go to the door to let me know he wants out. So now every single time I go to the bathroom, I let him out to go also. I think it is helping, but spanking or making them feel bad about it doesn't work. I hope this could help a little.

I have thought about a little diaper while we're out, but haven't done it yet. Good luck! (03/04/2010)

By dogsinspire

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

Since it happened since you moved to your new house, I believe there is trace urine from a former dog that lived there. Use some of the new Oxicleaners to clean all your floors. You can use a blue light to see where there is any urine remaining. With a fresh start he should be okay to go back to his old routine of "going" outside. (03/06/2010)

By kathyj311

I have a 3 year old Yorkie who has not been fixed (which could be the problem). I let him out to do his business, which he always does, but then he comes back in the house and lifts his leg everywhere.

He knows he is doing wrong because he runs to his kennel every time I go clean the mess. I plan on getting him fixed in a couple of weeks, but I hear it might be too late and that he will always do this. I don't want to get rid of him because I got him for my daughter and now she is so attached. Please help.

By Rachel from NV

Answers:

Dog Peeing Inside House

Hi Rachel,
I think you are right about the neutering being a part of the problem. Sounds like your dog is "marking." I have used a product for my cat called Comfort Zone with feliway for marking. It worked very well. There is a companion product for dogs, I believe it is called DAP. These products contain pheromones. You should be able to find this product at any of the big internet pet sites. Good Luck! (01/27/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Dog Peeing Inside House

I have a 3 year old German Shepherd/Husky mix. The past few months she has been peeing in my bed, on the couch, on the floor, just as she lays there. It's not like anything is making her excited to do this. I'm calling the vet soon, but does anyone have any suggestions for me? She is fixed. I have never had a fixed female dog before, so I'm not sure if this is a side effect? Please help.

By AmandaSue from Saginaw, MI

Answers:

Dog Peeing Inside House

Dogs usually need to go to the bathroom several times a day. If you want the dog to pee outside then I've read you should take them out first thing in the morning, every day, and wait until they pee. When they do praise them for doing it. Do the same after lunch and again after dinner. The dog will learn that peeing outside is something he will be praised for and will continue to do it.

Once they are on a schedule they will usually hold it until the right time. However if you leave the house for a whole day and miss one of the times you might need to clean up a mess. My dogs seem to try really hard not to go inside, but if I need to leave them for a whole day I know it is my fault and not theirs that they had to go inside.

Once the dog is used to peeing outside you can scold them if you catch them doing it inside. If you see them in the act then you should say "NO" loudly. However, if you don't see it and find the pee later, you should never rub their nose in or anything like that. They just don't understand that kind of punishment.
(04/07/2009)

By fletc3her

Dog Peeing Inside House

My female started doing the same thing at around age 8. During her annual checkup I mentioned it to the vet. She said it was best to do some tests to rule out a bladder infection or problem with kidneys. After the test ruled out any disease we decided it was because she was getting up in age, and had always been a follower to her brother who had recently passed. She went when he went.

I started paying close attention to signs she was giving she needed to go out. There was a subtle change in her behavior that I was missing. Luckily we took in a foster dog whose owner had passed. That was the best thing we could have done for her. She is still a follower, only now she has someone new to follow. (04/07/2009)

By msburny

Dog Peeing Inside House

Dogs do not pee where they sleep (like on your bed) unless there is a physical reason. Your dog is only 3 years old, so it can't be attributed to old age. My advice is to take her to the vet. (04/07/2009)

By Anonymous

Dog Peeing Inside House

My Beagle mix female started peeing in bed or on my couch when she was around 7 years old. She is now 10 1/2. I took her to the vet and he said a lot of times that females that have had babies will do this. She only did it in her sleep. He put her on Cystolamine and I haven't had a problem in 3 1/2 years. In fact, she can go 3 days or so without the medicine and not pee.

I know it embarrassed her because she would have this really sorry look on her face. Hope this helps. This is a picture of Maggie, yellow dog, that was peeing with one of her babies Nikki, that I kept, and the father, Pounder. (04/10/2009)

By maggie3956

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

Dog Peeing Inside House

I have always had German Shepherds, and only females which I have desexed. (I have two which are spoiled rotten at the moment). I have never heard of this happening with any of my dogs, and they would rather burst than pee where they sleep, and certainly not on my bed. Mine will wait all night if they need to rather than do that. I would definitely take your dog to the vet, it maybe something that can be fixed with simple medication. (04/10/2009)

By Bujubaby

Dog Peeing Inside House

First, take your dog to the vet now. Secondly, you female spayed dog may have been spayed too young. It weakens their bladders, check her vet papers and see how old she was. To rid the smell of new or old urine in carpet, use full strength white vinegar, and saturate the area. Scrub with fresh cold water. Let dry and repeat. The vinegar smell will be gone as soon as the carpet dries. If you crate your dog, put the leash on her while she is still in the crate. Open your door, remove dog, and head outside immediately.

I cured my dog by blocking the area where she peed and let her have full run of the bathroom hall and my bedroom. They usually don't pee where they sleep, or when you are there. Crating is fine for dogs. They feel secure in the crate. Just don't leave them in it when you are home, awake, etc. But go to the vet for an examination for your dog. She is your best friend. (04/10/2009)

By islandsage

Dog Peeing Inside House

We had a dog who did that a few times, at around a year of age. It didn't occur to us that it was serious until one day she also defecated, so we rushed her to the vet. He said it was some sort of seizures, though the dog only lay there still, looking at us as she did it, so we'd not known. It only lasted a little bit, then she'd be acting normal afterward. That particular vet said our little dog would need a seizure med for life.

We later discontinued it on the advice of another vet, and she never had another one and lived to be 16 years old. It seemed to be some sort of thing that our particular dog grew out of, but you really should go see your vet. It may be something that can be helped easily with medication. (04/10/2009)

By CrafterMary

Dog Peeing Inside House

I would like to encourage every dog owner to watch the Dog Whisperer on The National Geographic Channel. He (Cesar Millan) has taught me so much critical information on having an emotionally balanced, calm submissive dog and you being a calm assertive pack leader.

I wish I had known what I know now, 16 years ago when I got my beloved furbaby.
Cesar emphasizes that dogs need walks every single day, even if they have access to a yard. He recommends at least 30 or 45 minutes daily.

Cesar also talks about finding something breed specific for your dog to do. Cesar also says give your dog exercise first, then rules, boundaries and limitations next, and then affection. There is so much more. Dog Whisperer is on many times a day and each episode is different, as is each dog. His info should be required for every dog adoption. (04/11/2009)

By OhioGirl

Dog Peeing Inside House

We had a dog almost under the same circumstances. We took her to the vet and got this expensive and somewhat dangerous drug (DES) to stop it, and it worked. Then quite by chance we discovered that something in the canned food we were feeding her had been making her urinate uncontrollably, mostly when she was sleeping, so we changed the brand and it stopped completely. Change her food and see if that helps.

I was never so ashamed and angry at having given her those expensive needless pills over a period of two years when a simple diet change was all that was needed. Vets really are worthless sometimes.

Susan in Omaha (04/11/2009)

By Susan

Dog Peeing Inside House

Your dog could have Cushings disease. You can Google it to find out more details. It usually affects older dogs, but any dog can get it. I have a Shepherd/Chow spayed female, who never had any accidents. She started drinking and peeing a lot, sometimes in her bed, unknowingly. They can't control it. The vet can run tests to diagnose, and can treat it. You really need to see a vet, as it sounds medical, not behavioral. (04/13/2009)

By tcmoyer

I have a Lab and he is almost 3 years old. During the day he stays outside, but at night when we are home he comes in. Well, he has found a spot that he likes in the house and he urinates on it. This behavior is not like him, how do I get him to stop?

I need help getting my dog to stop peeing inside. She pees when you go to let her out of the kennel and when you take her out to go she will not go. She is to interested in other things.

My 2 year old mini-Schnauzer has urinated multiple times on new carpeting. She has 24 hr. access outside via a doggy door. She never has done this since trained as a puppy.