Dog Peeing in the House

There are many reasons your dog may be peeing in the house under a variety of circumstances. This is a guide about dog peeing in the house.

My new APBT is 10 months old and has been in many homes. I am having some problems with her doing pee pee a lot even though I take her out a lot. Stress maybe?

By cynder from CT

Answers

Best Answer

She may have some insecurity and marking with urine is a way of making her surroundings feel familar. Are you getting all the old urine odor removed as this is an invitation to remark. I rescued a insecure male a year ago and we are still working on the marking issue. Two things I have used and were recommended on a dog internet site, were not to let the dog have free run of the house, so crating when unsupervised. Also you can buy doggie underpants (or make them from fabric and Velcro) which helps when they sneak away from you. Our guy knows not to do it when we are looking :). Best of luck and let us know if anything works. Time and feeling more secure may help too.

My 4 year old Shihpoo is peeing all over the floor. We let her out regularly and try to keep her busy and exercised. She will pee when we are home and when we are out. I don't know what to do anymore. We have bought a crate and have been using it a bit, but my dog is so anxious that she just digs and pants while in there for hours on end.

Please help.

Answers

Always start by taking to the vet. You need to rule out a UTI or bladder infection. Also tell the vet that she is anxious. It may be a nervous disorder and he may need to prescribe her something to calm her down. Even though you take her out regularly, try taking her out more often.

Maybe the dog has a urinary problem that is causing her to do this. By the time she is 4 years old, she should be able to go several hours without having to pee. I would suggest having a vet look at her and make sure she doesn't have any type of urine infection.

As for the peeing all the time in the home, you'll need to let her out every hour on the hour and make sure you stay with her and she pees outside.

You can also try confining her to a smaller area of your home and make sure it has tile so it is easy to clean.

Your dog wasn't raised in a crate and this will be hard on her. They get very nervous when they are confined to a small crate. If you put her in this crate, make sure you do this the right way. If you force her in she will be scared and not want to go near the crate. A lot of people use treats to bribe the dog to go inside the crate.

If this is a new problem, consult the vet. She could have an illness, infection or reaction to food that is making her incontinent.

Retrain a dog.

Step 1
START BY MAKING SURE HE GOES OUT WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF WAKING.

Step 2
Tether him to you so you can catch him before he goes.

Step 3
Take him outside let him finish and then treat them as needed.

Your dog could be reacting to changes in the household or possibly have a health problem. This guide is about previously house trained dog peeing indoors.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

It is frustrating and confusing when your house trained dog backslides. This is a guide about what to do when a previously house broken dog has started pooping in the house.

Introducing a new dog into your home can cause stress to other pets you may already own. This is a guide about dog peeing inside after new dog arrived.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about dog in heat peeing inside. It is frustrating when a house trained dog who is having her cycle starts peeing inside.

There are many reasons a previously house trained dog begins to pee in the house, including advancing age. This is a guide about old dog peeing in house.

This is a guide about when a dog pees in house when left alone. Even a house trained dog will have accidents under certain circumstances.

This is a guide about what to do if a dog pees in the house when excited. Some dogs can accidentally pee when they become excited.

My 10 year old Yorkie has been peeing everywhere in the house. He has a spot in the bathroom where he can pee, but he doesn't use it as much as before. I'm worried that there might be something wrong with him. What should I do? Thank you.

By tina from HI

Answers:

Dog Peeing Inside House

If you're worried that there is something wrong with him, take him to the vet. Especially if this is a new behavior, there could be an underlying medical issue. If nothing else, call and see if they can give you any advice over the phone.

And you're going to have to treat the areas where he's been peeing, so he won't come back to them. I suggest you get an enzymatic cleaner. We use Petzyme from Petsmart (I think their brand), but there are other brands around.

Give the vet's office a call. I hope everything is okay with your dog. Best of luck! (04/13/2010)

By Lisa

Dog Peeing Inside House

My first guess is that there was a male dog in this home before you at some time and he's just making it his home. Sure he's ashamed. They hate being caught being bad, but also I'm wondering if your dog is neutered. In many breeds, if the males are not neutered by a certain age they will mark for life. Has another dog been over? Maybe he's angry? Otherwise please go to the pet store and get a doggy diaper, put a Poise pad in there and that might work. They don't like the wet feeling when they wet their diapers. They're about 20.00 and you can buy bladder control pads at the dollar store. I would definitely put a call into the vet. Some medical conditions like bladder infections or even some doggy diseases can cause frequent urination and it's better to be safe than sorry. But definitely try the diaper. Good luck.

Lynne (10/27/2010)

By Lynne

We recently moved into a new home, and our 4 year old male Jack Russel is peeing randomly throughout the house. He's always very ashamed of himself after doing it, so he knows it's wrong.

We've had the carpets cleaned and a doggy door installed so he can go out anytime he feels the urge, yet when we are not looking he's not just marking, but full on pee.

What do I do? Making him an outdoor dog is out of the question because of our climate, and he's literally like my 3rd son. Diapers come to mind. Maybe that will shame him into going outside.

By Kim from Denver

Feedback:

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

My grown cat did the same thing. The vet put her on an anti-depressant for about a month and she stopped. (03/04/2010)

By kelly

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

You should take your dog to the vet to rule out any medical problems. Then, if everything is good, the vet can make recommendations to modify this behavior. (03/04/2010)

By Lisa

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

I don't think the dogs feel shame, just that you are unhappy with him for doing it. I know you have to clean the spot well enough so he won't smell that areas urine anymore. I have a Yorkie that did this with a previous owner, and now with us sometimes.

He was purchased from a pet store, and he was a puppy mill puppy. They have no family members or mom to teach them what to do, therefore our Yorkie doesn't go to the door to let me know he wants out. So now every single time I go to the bathroom, I let him out to go also. I think it is helping, but spanking or making them feel bad about it doesn't work. I hope this could help a little.

I have thought about a little diaper while we're out, but haven't done it yet. Good luck! (03/04/2010)

By Jen Rivet

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

Since it happened since you moved to your new house, I believe there is trace urine from a former dog that lived there. Use some of the new Oxicleaners to clean all your floors. You can use a blue light to see where there is any urine remaining. With a fresh start he should be okay to go back to his old routine of "going" outside. (03/06/2010)

By kathy

I have a 3 year old Yorkie who has not been fixed (which could be the problem). I let him out to do his business, which he always does, but then he comes back in the house and lifts his leg everywhere.

I have a 3 year old German Shepherd/Husky mix. The past few months she has been peeing in my bed, on the couch, on the floor, just as she lays there.

I have a Lab and he is almost 3 years old. During the day he stays outside, but at night when we are home he comes in. Well, he has found a spot that he likes in the house and he urinates on it. This behavior is not like him, how do I get him to stop?

I need help getting my dog to stop peeing inside. She pees when you go to let her out of the kennel and when you take her out to go she will not go. She is to interested in other things.

My 2 year old mini-Schnauzer has urinated multiple times on new carpeting. She has 24 hr. access outside via a doggy door. She never has done this since trained as a puppy.