Old Dog Peeing in House

There are many reasons a previously house trained dog begins to pee in the house, including advancing age. This is a guide about old dog peeing in house.

My oldest dog has started peeing on my bedroom floor. He has never done this. He's 13yrs old, but you wouldn't know it in how he plays outside. I want to take him to the vet, but am a little strapped for cash. Any over the counter meds I could get him from Petsmart or Petco?

By loneladywolf5

Answers

Best Answer

My 14 year old Bichon has kidney / bladder stones and surgery is not recommended due to her age. The vet recommended doggie diapers ... She just dribbles pee all day in the house and doesn't realize it! The diapers are weird, but we are all happy now and life is stress free, not worrying about it anymore. We take it off when she goes outside. Only her bladder is an issue... Thank goodnesss

Our dog has started peeing inside, she doesn't know she is doing it. She is a 10 year old cross Jack Russell.

By Alex from Bradford, UK

Answers

Best Answer

There are so many possible causes for this that it would be impossible to give advice. You really need a Vet to exclude fixable problems before deciding on what you need to do. 10 years old is not all that old for a small dog. Your chances of having a treatable medical condition here are high. Anyway, what Deeli said. Good luck.

My twelve year old Lab has always been healthy. He is acting fine and eating fine and playing fine. However he is drinking excessively and going outside to pee quite a bit. The house is extremely dry from the heat, but just today he has gone in the house twice. This is something he never did.

By Sully D

Answers

Best Answer

Dogs can get diabetes and kidney diseases. Please take him to the vet.

My dog is getting old, she is part Jack Russell and part Chihuahua, she is about 10 or 11 years old in dog years. I know her sight and hearing is going, she used to be potty trained, but no longer seems to be. I am a great dog lover, she is a rescue dog, we adopted her 7 years ago. Anyway, I know she is old, and stressed, but she is also very spoiled, she is my fur baby child.

Today she has peed on the carpet twice and even crapped on the carpet, she has been doing this a lot lately, why, I don't know, but my carpet is completely covered in spots. When I catch her I tell her no, and put her outside. I watch her go out there, but then she comes back in and she does it again. What else can I do? Any solutions, what might make her stop, or is this just normal behavior, as I think she may be beyond retraining.

Also, I just want to mention we have another dog who always goes outside to do his business. She is still pretty active when she is happy, she sings and dances, and loves to go for car rides, and walks, if any of that matters.

Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

This may be age related incontinence. A veterinarian will help you diagnose the condition.

I have two 9 year old Border Terriers and one of them (not sure which) has started to pee in the house, mainly in the same area in the kitchen. They even do it when we are in the house. They have their own dog door. How can we stop this? They are both neutered males. Do you think crating them would help?

By Sue S

Answers

Best Answer

Our four legged children are like people. As we age health issues start, organs don't function properly. Have your vet check out your baby to rule out any health issues. If there are no health issues, it may be time for your baby to wear diapers.

I have a female dog who is 15 years old and is unable to hold her urine for the 7 or 8 hours we are gone? I was thinking about trying the doggy pads any thougths?

Answers

Best Answer

North Shore under pads on amazon.com sells reasonably and they are free shipping. I buy from them all the time and have never been disappointed with their product. They do not leak through and they are large enough I can scissor cut in half and make two that lasts longer. I just put the cut end toward the back and the pad is placed in a hard plastic liner just in case my dog goes too close to the edge. They also send a free Xtra large under pad in each order. You get 100 quality under pads for about $40.00 and if you cut in half, you get double the amount for the same price and it's a quality/quantity stretcher. It's up to your dog whether an under pad is going to be of use. One of our dogs uses them between outdoor potty time or when we are away from home too long.

I have a 10 year old Lab that is peeing in the house. It is always on her bed. I have changed the bed thinking once done that she will not do it again. She did on the new bed. I have taken her to the vet and her health is good (bloodwork and urine work). She is outside all day with her buddy, but she will go within 30 minutes of being in the house. I now keep her in the mud room and even put a puppy pad down. She still pees on the bed. Now she gets nothing. Help.

By Doris

Answers

Best Answer

This is a common problem. Your dog is not aware she is being naughty. In fact she is may not be aware of what is happening. Doggie diapers are not expensive and work very well. Dogs don't seem to mind wearing them. Some are quite fashionable.

My miniature Yorkie is 13 years of age and has started peeing constantly in the house. She goes out and pees on demand when told even though she has done two or three large puddles in the house. We are constantly putting her outside every time she gets out of her bed. She has stopped asking to go out, but yaps quite loud to come back in. Has anyone got any answers to this problem?

By W M

Answers

Best Answer

It does sound like diabetes, or kidney disease. Both are treatable, and your dog can continue to enjoy life. See the Vet ASAP and good luck to you.

My 15 year old Jack Russell terrier is peeing without control and he won't leave diapers on. He's deaf and almost blind, but he can just be on my lap and pee on me. We can't put anything in his cage anymore cause he even pees in it. I'm at my wit's end, any suggestions?

Answers

Anonymous

See your vet. He can probably give him something to help alleviate the situation. Your dog can't help it; he's no longer young.

I feel you on this. OUr dog towards the last few years of his life was completely incontinent. He ended up spending most of the day outside.

Acording to some online sources, vets can prescribe treatsments that proscribe incontinence. https://www.vet … e-in-older-dogs/

Some of the problems with older dogs are hormonal imbalances, kidney/bladder diseases, neurological issues, or plain old anxiety that is heightened by age. A simple urinary tract infection could also be occurring. Different conditions have different solutions. ONce again, a vet visit is probably needed for you to fix the problem http://www.seni … ncontinence.html

Hi there so we had the same problem with our 18 year old Pomeranian. He was deaf and could hardly see. He still walked around fine but he was getting pretty bad for awhile there. He had bladder problems as well. The vet can prescribe something bit with his age you never know what other problems can occur from that. What we did which probably wasn't very fair but we had a designated spot for where he'd be for the majority of the day and put down some news papers we also bought a steam cleaner to clean up any accidents that he'd make on the carpet. And as for while he's on your lap I know it's inconvenient but you can always put a towel down and make sure you take him out before hand but since he's older it's going to happen. If you have the money definitely see what the vets says first. I hope everything works out

There are medications and surgery available to treat this problem. You will have to ask your vet what the best option is. The vet may also know of some diaper that will not be able to be removed.

My old blind dog peeing in my house and he is always walking around in circles. What could be wrong?

By Annmarie

Answers

Best Answer

If he is old, peeing could be incontinence. In other words, he can't control his bladder anymore.
Walking around in circles could be any number of things, including OCD or neurological degeneration.
You will have to take him to the vet to find out if he can be helped.

My Pom will be 10 shortly, in September, and has started drinking water in excess and wetting in the house. She has never done this before.

Our 12 year old Border Collie, a female, has started urinating on her bed and in our sun room corners. How can we prevent this?

By Frankie

Answers

First this is to have her checked by a vet to make sure that this isn't a Urinary Tract Infection or a renal issue. Also make sure that she isn't in pain with arthritis, as an older dog she might be having an issue getting up and out. Basically rule out all the medical possibilities before thinking it is behavioral.

Absolutely have her checked at the vets to rule out any medical problems. There are many medical issues that can cause this. If everything is OK, there are any number of things to try. Your vet can prescribe a medicaton that can stop the leaking if it is from weak bladder muscles. This is not uncommon in older female dogs. You also may need to take her outside more often. Like older people, older dogs just do not have the same ability to hold their bladder as when they were young.

Today I let my 10 yr old dog sit on my bed. This is the first time she has peed on my bed. What does that mean? Is it because she is 10 yrs old and is getting old and what do I do?

By Esta K.

Answers

Your dog is older and may have developed a medical problem that needs immediate treatment to improve his behavior. Please take him to your vet now as the vet will be able to clarify and treat any medical problems. The vet can also suggest ways that will help you help your dog to change his unacceptable behavior.

How can we get our elder dog to stop urinating on the floors? We have a miniature Poodle that is 21 yrs old, had cataracts, and has a leg that cannot work on any type of flooring except carpet.

By Joyce

Answers

We had the same problem with our dog when he got old. We took him to the vet and found out he had diabetes so he was drinking excess amounts of water which was causing the peeing problem. So if you notice that your dog has been drinking a whole lot of water, find out if he has diabetes. If he does they can give him medicine which will stop the excess drinking which in turn will stop the peeing problem.

We adopted a senior dog, who is also blind, in December. William is a Beagle Dachshund mix. I was told he was housebroken by the rescue. He pees in the house and we've done everything we can think of to try to stop him. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

By Maureen S. from Salem, NH

Answers

Does he "ask" to go outside? I have a blind dachshund....got her when she was 8 weeks old. I immediately hung a large bell by my back door & taught her to ring it when she needs to go out. She still used it to this day & she is now 12 yrs. old. My daughter got 2 new puppies a few months ago.....she did the same thing and it works for her too. Because your dog is blind he might be confused as to how to let you know he needs to go out. Give the bell a try.....mine caught on to it really quick.

My 15 year old Maltese has recently started leaving surprises "poop and pee" when left alone a few hours, and first thing in the morning. We take her outside to do her thing, but she still has the indoor accidents. We recently changed her feed to a senior brand. But she did have some accidents with the previous food, just not that often. Is this age related and how can we prevent this from continuing?
Thanks.

By Angelo

Answers

Yes, of course this an be related to getting older. Please make an appointment with your fur babie's veterinarian for a senior examination. Your Vet will advice you on how to care for your baby at an older age. Please do not scold him/her for this action it is not their fault. Good luck.

Our 12 year old dog started peeing in the house. She does not do it all of the time, only when we leave. She can go all day and night and not have an accident; once we leave she does.

By Cindy

Answers

Please take your fur baby to the Veterinarian for an exam. Ask your Vet to do a urinalysis to find out if anything is going on. Your baby is probably due for his senior exam anyway. A senior exam is very important to older dogs. Your vet can tell you many things that you can do to make your baby more comfortable. Good luck

I have a 12 year old male Dachshund who will go outside and go to the bathroom and then has come back in and urinated inside. A couple times it has been big amounts, and then just small amounts other times.

By Beth

Answers

The older dog that's peeing in house may be having kidney problems please have it checked out. When they start getting older, it's one first things goes on older dog. My dog never peed in the house. He got cataracts then started wetting everywhere. I called the vet. They put him sleep so would not suffer anymore. One of the worst things I've had do. Or it could be kidney infection. Hope this helps, Cookie 17

My 11 year old dog who has always been able to to hold it even up to 16 hours, has now started peeing in the house. On everything! I have had to rip up the carpet he has peed on it so much, but then he just finds a new spot.

He has always alerted me when he needs to go out, but not now. In fact last night he peed on the laundry. Two days ago he stood right in front of me and peed on the tile. I am overwhelmed. He does not have an infection and I am at my wits end. I live alone so I have no one to let him out when I am at work. I have a lab who has been with him for years so it is not a new pet. Please some advice?

By Jeanie

Answers:

Old Dog Peeing in House

Are you kidding me! 16 hours! Take him to the vet for a urinalysis. Don't let him go that long, it is not healthy, for him or anyone else. (06/22/2010)

By K9cats

Old Dog Peeing in House

It is possible for dogs to experience incontinence due to age. They do make doggy diapers. Being as how he is not notifying you may mean that he can't control it either because he has no idea when it is going to happen. Take him to the vet A.S.A.P. so that they can diagnose it properly. :) Good luck and give him a treat, it's not his fault. :( (06/23/2010)

By abrupt_silence

My 9 year old Chihuahua has decided to go to the bathroom wherever she wants in my house, besides her potty pad. She has been potty pad trained all her life.

I don't know how to get her out of this habit. I have scolded her a couple times and found out through research that it is the wrong thing to do. So I won't be doing that anymore. I hate it anyway. I hope I haven't scared her now. I need some advice how to deal with this problem. I love my little baby.

By Jennifer from Cincinnati, OH

Answers:

Old Dog Peeing in House

Since this is a new behavior, it might be best for you to consult with her vet, to rule out any medical problems. If her health is good, the vet might be able to give you some good advice to change the behavior. Best of luck! (03/02/2010)

By mrs.story

Old Dog Peeing in House

Your dog needs to be seen by a vet. She could have a urinary tract infection, which will cause this behavior. Also, older spayed dogs often develop urinary incontinence which can be treated with a medication called Proin. (03/06/2010)

By beemeli

I have a 14 year old Yorkie. He is house trained. Lately he wants to pee on the carpet, but not all the time. He uses the papers mostly. How can I make him stop using the living room carpet to pee on?

By ent from Bardstown, KY

Answers:

Old Dog Peeing in House

If this is a new behavior, it might be best to consult with your vet, to help rule out any medical issues. Best of luck! (01/28/2010)

By mrs.story

Old Dog Peeing in House

I had a seal point cat that was 12 and he started doing the same. I took him to the vet. The vet told me his kidneys were failing. Just have him checked with the vet. (01/28/2010)

By shellmax

Old Dog Peeing in House

Many older dogs lose control of their bladder or like previously stated, simply have failing kidneys. Many people especially with tiny dogs will use a 'belly band' to absorb any accidents. Wishing you and your little man the best! (01/30/2010)

By caninecodependent

My dog is now 12 years old. In dog years she's 84. On the the outside she still seems fit, jumping off the couch or onto it, climbing the steps. Even though she's just a little slow with it, she can still do it. We let her outside to potty, and usually when she had to go, she would scratch by the door and wait for someone to open it.

For the past year she hasn't been scratching by the door, she's been using the potty everywhere in our house. It stayed mainly in our dining room, but now it's wherever she's at. It's even to the point where I catch her in the act and she doesn't care. She finishes and she's on her way. I know she is old and it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, but its very frustrating. Any tips?

Ann

Answers:

Old Dog Peeing in House

I had a similar problem, my dog was unable to get out the doggie door when she was old. I timed her from drinking to needing to pee. After drinking and the necessary time passed I took her outside until she did her business. I kept a minimal amount of water in her bowl unless someone was around to take her outside. Your dog may have problems that you are not aware of, incontinence, etc. It is not their fault and they need help in their golden years. (09/29/2005)

By Dennis

Old Dog Peeing in House

We had an older female and used child's diaper on her when in the house; it worked wonders. I just had to remember to catch her before she went out. May also talk to vet about medication for incontinence in females.
Love her, try to understand, but it is frustrating to deal with a mess. (09/29/2005)

By Sandy

Old Dog Peeing in House

It may be as simple as getting her a hormone shot if she has been spayed. That was the problem with my older dog. I think you should talk to her vet for advice. Good luck. (09/29/2005)

By Kathy

Old Dog Peeing in House

When my elderly female dog began peeing in the house the vet put her on Premarin. It took awhile, but it sure helped her get her control back. (09/29/2005)

By Seagrape

Old Dog Peeing in House

She needs to be seen by your Vet of choice. Sounds like she has an UTI or other physical problem. (09/30/2005)

By SNIGDIBBLY

Old Dog Peeing in House

My old girl (Collie Shepherd x) is 16 and the vet put her on Metacam liquid in her food once a day and you would not believe the difference from the stiff, slow, sleeping dog. Still almost deaf and has cataracts, but now plays with the cat and other dog, as to incontinence she goes out several times a night and woofs to wake me. Once in awhile it is a poop in the kitchen, but about 8 times in 16 years in not bad
We will keep her until it is time to go. (09/30/2005)

By Susan from Hamilton

Old Dog Peeing in House

Unfortunately, incontinence happens in old age. Think about elderly folks. The bladder weakens with age, is no longer strong and elastic and the urine just leaks out. There are products on the market for this problem for people who suffer from incontinence such as Depends. Sadly, our dogs suffer some of the same medical issues as humans and incontinence is one of them.

I am guessing that a dog with this problem cannot stop the "flow" and just stands there until he or she is finished. I guess we will just have to buy doggie diapers for our beloved friends and deal with it as best we can until they are no longer with us. It's the least we can do for all the unconditional love they have given us throughout their lifetime. (08/11/2006)

By Anonymous

Old Dog Peeing in House

If your dog has changed his peeing habits and needs to learn where not to pee, I suggest you try PeeAway, it's a pet odor neutralizer and pet urine deterrent. They say that once it is applied, it is suppose to keep your pets from peeing in that area. They say it acts like an invisible shield, just a suggestion. (09/03/2007)

By Susan

Old Dog Peeing in House

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to respond in hopes that this information helps someone who views it.

A few weeks ago, my Chocolate Lab started peeing in the house. He was getting old and was struggling a little to get up so I just assumed that it was age and something that we would have to deal with. I did a brief look online to see if there were any comments and found the typical threads (like this) and a few that said it should be something to check with a vet about.

Unfortunately I was convinced that this was just his "age" since nothing seemed unusual, and there were no signs of "pain" or major discomfort. The peeing stayed the same, but his condition changed rapidly. On Monday I took him in to the vet and found out that diabetes was the cause and the advanced stage and condition forced us to make the decision to put him to sleep.

I'm not sure if an immediate visit to the vet would have changed anything, but our family lost a great friend. I just wish that I would have seen a post like this to convince me that it was worth a quick trip to the vet.
(01/10/2008)

By Mark

Old Dog Peeing in House

I volunteer with Bichon rescue and always foster and adopt older and/or special needs dogs. There could be lots of reasons for their peeing in the house, including epilepsy, sudden urge to pee and no time to make it outside, a bladder infection, Cushing's, or diabetes. Or it could just be incontinence to due to age, just like humans. I'd take her/him to the vet immediately for a checkup and tests. It's expensive, I know, but there are medications and special diets for all of the above. Don't give up, please. And please don't use Premarin, as this is manufactured by tortuous means to pregnant mares (Pregnant mare urine = Premarin). There are other plant-based hormones that will work better and don't require animal cruelty in their manufacturing. (01/10/2008)

By never2late2learn