Dog is Aggressive Towards Children

Aggressive dog bearing it's teeth and growling.
Aggression is a common and serious behavioral problem seen in dogs. Having a dog that exhibits aggression towards a child is disturbing. This is a guide about when dog is aggressive towards children.

We adopted a puppy from the dog warden, she has always mouthed or bitten. I have gone through dog toys and children's toys, she chews, and eats everything. We have a 3 yr old child, he startled her and she bit his face. My husband wants her gone, adopted out.

She has always been aggressive. I have never had a dog continue to mouth, bite, and show aggression like this. I have guarded my child so she knows, we come in the house and my child enters first, then me, then our dog. I have replaced things in her mouth that are not hers with things that are. I don't let my child play rough with her, she seems to understand. When I tell her to drop something she does, but then goes and gets something else that doesn't belong to her. She has gone to the extreme of a disposable razor out of the bathroom trash, I didn't close the door. I have tried yelping, ignoring, "No", and nothing has helped with the biting. She has chewed everything from balls, bats, to plastic buckets, and people. She is over a year old. What else can we try? I have taught our children not to let her bite or mouth by yelping or a firm "No", this works at the moment. After a year she is still at it, the aggression she showed when my child startled her scares me.

By Caly

Answer Was this helpful? 2

With a child involved, you need to find a behaviorist immediately. This is behavior that can be changed, but you will not likely be equipped to do it, nor should you run the risk.

I would either get a trainer immediately and crate the dog anytime the c hild is loose, or take this one to the pound. This kind of behavior needs addressing immediately and please do not let your dog around your child, due to the past behavior.

A three year old cannot defend or tell when a dog is coming at it.

Please crate the dog and get a trainer to the house pronto, or give the dog to someone who doesn't have children, or take it to a shelter.

It is not worth the risk. You are probably going th find that the 3 year old will develop a fear of dogs because of this.

I would also put a muzzle on the dog around the child. The dog will still have to be watched. I am on the side of caution as usual. You don't want the dog free running in the house with a child. The risk is too high.

http://www.ehow  iting-child.html

This dog looks like it may be part pitbull. Because of poor breeding some pits can have agression problems. And of course some dogs cannot deal with children well. I would take NO chances with a toddler. That would be too many unknowns for me. I would be looking for another home (with no children) for this dog right away.

As for the chewing, he looks like a pit bull or pit mix. They have large chewing needs. Toys wont work for this type of doggie. I would give him all your peanut butter jars when you are done with them, without washing them out.

This makes for a kind of kong. They lick out the inside and it keeps them busy.

Also try a nylabone. A large one. It is a little pricey but few dogs can chew up the large bones. Don't let the dog have the bone around the child.

I love your dog, it is so cute. it is also smart and you are going to have to "crate and rotate" when the child is out. That is a thing that pit bull owners do when their dogs don't get along.

Here is a great site for everything pit bull..... http://www.pbrc.net/

Blessings, Robyn