Donating Household Items to Charity

Donating household items that you no longer need is a wonderful way to help others. This is a guide about donating household items to charity.

September 9, 2011 Flag

Charities should be a no-brainier, it seems everyone who reads ThriftyFun shops or has shopped at thrift stores. It makes you wonder if as many people give back to these charities. I am so blessed by getting clothes of name brands, in great shape, at a price I can afford in most of the thrift stores everywhere I have lived.

I didn't, however, understand the full importance of them until my son and I were homeless because I was a victim of abuse. I had to leave California for a while (9 months) with nothing except our dog, 2 small bags, and a bag of my son's toys. We had to get out for my safety so I had to leave the big home, friends, church, and everything else I had once thought was important behind.

Now I tend to really want to know more about the charity, because of my story. I love giving back to ones that help battered women and their children, giving them jobs, food, and helping pay to get them up and started on healing. When I had to leave we went where it was cold, super cold, so from 90 degrees to within 3 weeks to a place in the 40s. It was cold by winter, a month later, with snow. As I said, we had no clothes. In that town, you were allowed to go to a charity based thrift store and pick out 3 complete outfits, per person. We could do this 3 times, making up our entire wardrobes.

When I donate things, I make sure it's clean, ironed, has no holes or doesn't look like anything less then I would wear. I wouldn't throw these items out but rather give to another charity where they may have a 25 cent table, clothes for work, playing outside, etc. I always keep in mind women who are going back to school, work, or starting over. A nice outfit makes all of us feel so much better.

I have had people at church who have had family members who had other problems and they like giving to that charity. Find out what your passion is. Shopping at thrift stores to me is like the mall. Even though I don't shop at them, we all know there are many different stores in every mall. I shop at all of the thrift stores, discount stores, and stores where we all know they have great deals.

When "giving", I choose the one who helped me, they need so much. I know I did. Blankets, shoes (new ones), school supplies, extra dishes, pretty much everything in your house, is what they need. Whatever charity you choose, do it right. Giving back is so rewarding. If you have never been told, let me tell you "thank you" from each and every person who doesn't have a name to you, but who may have a life because of you!

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

September 24, 2015 Flag

Just a warning out there to all you good people that donate to Goodwill, thinking that you are helping the needy out. I know from firsthand experience that my local Goodwill Stores receive way more items than they can sell in their stores. So for years now, they send their "surplus" items to a Goodwill Outlet store. At these stores, things are thrown into tubs to be picked over by people. The pricing is done by the pound. The more you buy, the cheaper it is.

Well, the people doing the picking are commonly doing it to send to relatives in different countries. Or, there are some that are buying for scrap metal. I see hundreds and hundreds of things broken, ripped, smashed and trashed as the people are sorting through things. If you think your nice stuff is being resold at Goodwill, think again.

Donate to any other thrift store besides Goodwill. Their prices are getting too expensive and it is a travesty to see so much good stuff being thrown around like garbage.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 7 Comments

December 7, 2011 Flag

As an Accountant, I recommend that every month people work to gather their excess or unused items and donate it to a legit 503b non-profit charity (i.e. Goodwill Industries, St. Vincent dePaul, local churches, etc.). The benefits are tremendous! Think of it as a monthly job to gather and inventory goods around the house.

You will be able to save a great deal on your taxes, if you itemize. If you don't itemize, give your donation to family members or friends. Sometimes items will reap you more benefits on your taxes then the small amount that you gain at a tag sale. Keep itemized lists.

We as a country have an abundance to give. Give to really help those in need. Life is about giving!

By xoxo from Plainview, NY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful
April 9, 2006 Flag

For anyone who files the family taxes, finding deductions is an effort which gives great rewards. One of the easiest places to find deductions is in tax deductible donations to charities. Any donation made to a non-profit charity can be claimed on income tax as a deduction.

Financial Planning

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know of a charity that will pick up in Woodstock, Georgia? I have furniture that I would like to give away. Atlanta Furniture and Salvation Army don't service this area.

By heimudan from Woodstock, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the furniture is clean and undamaged by animals

or people, I'd think you could simply set it out

by the street and put a sign on it saying, "Free to

Good Home", and see what happens.

Of course, this might apply only if you live in a

neighborhood. Many (even affluent) neighborhoods

want to play with recycling things, or they know

someone who truly needs the furniture items.

I'd much rather give things to my neighbors if they

can use them than to have anyone make any

person pay for it like the thrift stores and used

furniture businesses do. Most of the people

shopping in those places don't have enough money

as it is. If there's any way I can help them, I want

to do that.

If you live in a college town, almost anything

you set out by the street with a "freebie" sign on it

will disappear like magic.

I was taught that "Charity Begins at Home, and

extends outward in ever increasing circles".

If you do not live in a neighborhood (like out in the

country or an inaccessible area), then this might

not work for you.

I hope this helps.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

We called the local Habitat for Humanity when we had to get rid of some furniture. They were very happy to come pick it up! I was able to find them through the phone book, but they have a website, also.

There's also:freecycle.org or call a local church for a deserving family in need?.

A Domestic Violence organization; churches that help those in need?

There is a Vietnam vets organization that will come to you with a truck. You can schedule a pick up online at: www.vva.org

Here are a couple of other suggestions:

Easter Seals

Purple Hearts

A homeless (or any kind of) shelter in your area

Better Living CharitySeptember 29, 2015
Donating a Car to Charity
Donating a Car to Charity
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
Various promotional items.
Removing Logos from Promotional Items
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 3:45:55 PM on 10.0.1.73 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.