Donating Fabric to Charity

When cleaning out your fabric stash, consider donating the fabric you can't use to charity. This is a guide about donating fabric to charity.

I have fabric that I would like to give to someone in the S.F. Bay area. I am sure someone or a group could use it. My zip code is 94070

Answers

You can donate it to Goodwill or a quilt guild. Here is a guild locator:

https://themode  om/guild_locator

If it's the right type of fabric I could take it off your hands for my sewing projects and classes. I'm 20 miles away.

I have lot of free fabric samples. Anyone have any ideas where I can donate them? Thanks.

By Janet from Milwaukee, WI

Answers

Janet - I imagine lots of folks would love to have your samples! Out of curiosity, how big are they?

If you're wanting to donate them, I bet a local school, church, or maybe even a nursing home would happily take them. They all do crafts! Or, if you can't find any takers that way, maybe look at offering the samples through freecycle or craigslist (although I've heard about some weirdos on craigslist).

I think you won't have any problems finding someone to take them off your hands. Best of luck!

Ask the art teacher at your local school. I'll bet they would love to have them.

You could check the comments on this thread:

http://www.thri  5268733.tip.html

There are quilters who sew blankets for the poor homeless & earthquake victims.

Also donate to senior centers, senior homes or any elementary schools, even high school sewing classes & kids after-school art programs! Or the boys & girls club if they have an art program. You could call you town's park department.

You can also put an ad on the Free part of Craig's list. But donating them to a school or the seniors center would be best! Many seniors make quilts then raffle them off for charity, so you would be helping others!

You can donate them to Goodwill & get a tax write-off! They sell the large pieces one at a time & put the smaller pieces of fabric into a clear bag together & sell them to crafters like me!

Sheesh! I wish we lived closer together, I make Teddy Bear & Barbie clothes & would gladly take them off your hands! hahahaha!

You can donate them to Warming Families, a non-profit organization that provides handmade items to disadvantaged individuals. You can read about the group at http://www.free  warmingfamilies/

I use the fabric sample & scraps to make quilts and toys for whatever group neds them in the area.

I work with a church group that makes lap quilts for children that have been abused or that live in a shelter. We do over a thousand each year.

When I find fabric scraps and material in storage that I do no longer want I call my local fabric store for names of quilters or someplace that teaches quilting and donate them. Sometimes the schools will take fabric for projects in elementary level. There even may be an orginazation in your area that makes quilts for children in the hospital. They could always use fabric.

You could donate them to a girl scout troop.

I would like to have your samples. I will explain what I have been doing and you can make the decision. I make bibs and blankets and wheelchair organizers and carriers for the elderly mainly Alzheimer residents. I'm in desperate need of fabric I do not make any profit for doing this as i do this for giving back to the elderly I'm only 27 and a stay at home mom.

I used to work at a nursing home as a med tech. So I have watched families just drop there loved ones off and never look back and it is so sad. I just like to go visit and do something nice. Thank you very much here is my email if you would like to respond broken_forever@hotmail.com

I use my old fabric to make pet toys and sell them online. They usually sell fast.

New Senior Center just starting out will take any donations program starts in three weeks will pay for shipping please call Sophia at 303-476-3629

I'm the caregiver for my mom who has dementia. She was a seamstress and has a lot of fabric. I have 27 bins of fabric mostly cut into 3 yard pieces. How do I donate it?

I live in Rhode Island and have hundreds of pounds of fabric in perfect condition. My mother collected it for the last 50 years. The pieces are at least a yard and up to 30.

There are all types, mostly cotton. Any ideas of who could use it? They would need to pick it up in Cranston RI. I don't want it to go to waste. Thank you.

I have a sewing workroom and have excess of fabric and some odd sizes of drapes in large volumes. Can someone pick up from my factory?

I have a lot of fabric I'd like to donate somewhere it may be needed. Could you recommend where I could take it near zip code 93446?

Thank you very much. I appreciate your help!

I have a large box of old, ripped clothes and other fabrics that I would like to donate to someone for a project instead of throwing them away. They have been in the attic, I am in the middle of a move, and I don't have a washer or dryer here, so ideally I would donate them dusty and you could wash them. I am willing to deal with it if I know they'll go to something good instead of a landfill though.

I would like to donate fabric (all types, including: velvets, wool, linings, some lace, etc.) in the New York City area. I live in the borough of Queens, but would be open to other areas. Any suggestions?

Pat

Does anyone know where I can donate fabric in Los Angeles?

By violin3 from Los Angeles, CA

Answers

Depends on if they are small scrap type pieces of fabric or if they are by the yard. If they are 1 yard or more, most thrift stores will take it. If it is smaller pieces ask around and see if there is a group that makes quilts for the homeless, or for kids in hospitals or there is a group nationwided, I just don't know what the name of it is that makes baby quilts for a certain organization. I think the group might be called Baby Linus, but I'm not sure.

How about donating it to the Art's & Craft's dept. in the nursing home. They have alot of women & men that like to do crafts with it.

Advertise on Craigslist. Donate them to a nursing home. Many times fabric can be used in many crafts. We also love figuring out ways to use it too.
Wish you were closer I'd take it off your hands.
Gem

The Relief Society organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is always looking for fabric to make quilts for charities. Here is a link where you can type in your zip code and find someone you can contact. Good luck!!
http://lds.org/  es=meetinghouses

I recently donated all kinds of fabric including curtains to the local senior center in Westminster (Orange County, CA).

I have several blouse and shirts I want to find a second life for. I think these merit better than being hacked apart into cleaning rags so I wonder where or what I can do with them. All are cotton and clean. Some of course have the usual wear and tear.
Please know I am open to all ideas. :) Attached is but a small sample of my old friends.

Hello!
My name is Kalyn Sheahan. I am currently volunteering for a non profit charity called the Quilted Love Project. We have an event on July 25-26. People will come out and decorate 16x16 in squares which will then be sewn into quilts and distributed to the homeless population in Downtown Los Angeles! We are looking for ANY fabric (not stretchy or luxurious), art supplies, and even sewers for the actual event as they will be sewing as fast as the squares are being completed. If you would like to help please email me personally and I can come pick it up! I'm in West Hollywood. Thank you for your time!

Kalyn S.
KalynSheahan AT gmail.com
Www.quiltedloveproject.org

Anonymous

Hi Kalyn, my name is Olivia. Years ago I had a dog collar business with my best friend. We just cleaned out some bins that are full of fabric. I currently have 3 trash bags full of great fabric and wanted to try see if I could donate for a good cause. Are you still accepting fabric donations?

I have a lot of flannel fabric scraps I would like to donate. I live in Alsip Illinois.

I recently got this prom dress that I had ordered online, but as a result the tail of my dress had way too much fabric and was way too heavy to even walk with. I was thinking of cutting off some of the unnecessary fabric and donating it somewhere, but I live in the Bronx and I can't think of any places. What do you think I should do?

Where can I donate several boxes of brand new Christmas yardage? They are cotton prints great for making Christmas quilts, aprons, etc.

Answers

We have a children's hospital about an hour & a half from us. There are area churches that make surgical hats. You might try to find out if this ministry is available in your area.

Also the senior centers. Bless you for your generous act.

Ryan's Case for Smiles would be very grateful to receive ANY 100% cotton fabric (quilting weight please) donations. We are a national 501c3 non-profit organization. There are individual chapters in most cities throughput the U. S. We make and provide complimentary colorful pillowcases to sick children with chronic illnesses at various children's hospitals.
I belong to the Phoenix, AZ chapter. We deliver over 650 pillowcases EACH MONTH to three local children's hospitals. We are always looking for volunteers to sew the cases as well as fabric donations. Feel free to contact me for additional details.
Tracey A.

Is there a charity in Bradenton, Florida that could use various types of fabric and patterns? I would like to donate a lot of my fabric.

I am looking for a place to donate fabrics, sewing supplies, and yarn near me. I just moved to zip code 32837, so I'm not familiar with the area much. All of my fabrics are new and clean, stored in containers in a closet in a smoke free home. Churches, women's clubs, etc. would be considered. Any ideas how to go about this?

Were can I donate fabric and sewing items to charity?

I want to donate fabric that I did not use. Can I donate patterns also? Where can it donate these sewing items?

Answers

There are many donation possibilities depending upon your location. Search online for your area and contact:

Senior Centers
Schools
Youth Groups
Churches
Etc.

I have a large amount of various fabrics and remnants that I'd like to donate in Massachusetts. Does anyone know a worthy charity that could make use of it?

I have some fabric I would like to donate in the Southampton area.
Thanks.

Is there somewhere I can donate fabric to near zip code 14220? I used to sew a lot and do not have the time anymore, and would like it to go somewhere it can be used.

Is there a place I can donate fabric in the Portland, Oregon area?

I'm clearing up my sewing room and I have some fabric that I like to donate. I live in the Austin, Texas area and would like to find a charitible organization group where I can donate my fabric.

I would like to donate approximately 5 boxes 18x18x24 of fabric (all types, including: velvets, wool, some lace, silks, etc.) in the Salida, California area. The recipient would need to pick up. Any ideas who to contact?

We are moving out of a home we have lived in for almost 30 years. I am a reformed "fabricaholic". I have a wide variety of fabric types I would like to donate to someone who could use them. Most of the cotton is gone to an organization that mades little dresses and pants for children in Africa, but there is still lots to be had.

Please let me know if anyone knows where I could donate these materials in the greater Milwaukee area.

Thanks.

Does anyone want yards of cotton or flannel material? I am in the Cassopolis Michigan area.

I have free fabric to donations for charity sewing. I'm thinning out my fabric stash, all kinds of scraps to yards of material. I want to give it to people who sew for the charity of others, let me know your situation, through this site.

Answers

Contact churches, senior centers, charities, etc., in your area.

I have boxes of sewing material to give away. Does anyone know where I can donate it to charity in Fayetteville North Carolina?

Answers

check online for a local chapter of Project Linus. They make blankets and afghans for children in hospitals, disasters, children who have lost parents in the war, etc. The ladies in our chapter make beautiful quilts and the group accepts donated fabric or yarn, it would be put to good use. Just do a search for Project Linus

I am downsizing, hurray, and have a considerable amount of fabric to donate. I live in Laconia, New Hampshire in the Lakes region, but will drive some to donate. Thanks.

Answers

Contact www.binkypatrol.org
This is the children's charity I work for that makes "comforting covers for kids" and there's LOTS of quilting people that would be overjoyed to receive your donation.

My mom is closing a business that uses yard goods fabric). We need a place/charity in the Tampa Bay, Florida area that has a use for such material. Does anyone have such a charity in mind?

Answers

Why not contact local quilting groups? The wives of the Knights of Columbus make quilts for those in need, for example. I'm sure you'll be able to find something similar in Tampa Bay.

Where can I donate apparel fabric in Grand Rapids, Michigan?

Thanks.

Answers

Do you know any quilters? Perhaps consider contacting the rotary club to inquire about their women's group activities? Rotary wives here make quilts for people in distress and welcome any fabric donations.

I would like to donate fabric somewhere in Frederick or Washington counties in Maryland. Do you know of any locations which will accept fabric?

By Salli C

Answers

I used to live in Frederick and I know around Hagerstown community and Greencastle and Waynesboro communities the Menonite community uses fabric for missions. Also there are ladies that sew for Operation Christmas Child there also. Check with the churches as well. There are a lot of sewers in that area. Sorry I wish I could remember some names for you. If you can find a representative from Operation Christmas Child they will know Loretta ?Last name.

Google your area. If it doesn't, consider the senior centers. They often make blankets for the homeless. If this all fails, I would stay away from big charities like Goodwill but donate to the smaller ones what help animals and the homeless.

Salli, I thought of Loretta's name Tharp and she lives in the Waynesboro area. Look up Ray Tharp in the phone book.

Is there an organization in Dallas that accepts fabric donations? I have a lot of fabric.

By Pat

Answers

Yes, please look up the local chapter of Project Linus in your area. Blanketeers are happy to use donated fabric, yarn, etc. to make blankets for children of disasters, illnesses, etc. Check out www.ProjectLinus.org to find where you can drop off donations. It sure goes to a good cause.

Www.binkypatrol.org is a national charity that has locations nationwide. All locations always need donations. You can find the closest office on our website. Thank you for any donations.

Does anyone know where I can donate fabric in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area?

Where can I donate fabric in Baytown, Texas?

I have quilt shop quality cottons that I need to de-stash and donate. They have been pre-washed. I need a group in Indianapolis or Fishers Indiana.

We have our mother's fabric to donate. There are 15 boxes. There are some nice pieces; as we are from Pennsylvania we have wool, knit jersey, and some cottons. We are looking to donate in the Atlanta, Georgia area.

By Minette K

Answers

Check with several churches and see if they have a quilting group or even a quilters' guild. The local chamber of commerce might have a list that could use all that wonderful fabric. If I were closer, I would volunteer to get it for my quilting group, only Texas is a little too far. Good luck

Are there any quilting non-profit organizations in the Rochester, NY area who make quilts for cancer patients? My client, a patient herself, has a large stash of fabric she wants to donate to make quilts.

By Yve I.

Answers

I would contact the nearest cancer hospital. Another thing you might want to consider is having patients who enjoy sewing and still feel well enough to do so to make some of the quilts. I remember several decades ago being involved in a Methodist church women's group and we gave quilt pieces to a cancer hospital. Many of the patients worked on them.

Load More