Donating Craft Supplies

You can share of all kinds of your unused crafting supplies to assisted living, childcare centers, churches and other nonprofit organizations. This is a guide about donating crafting supplies.

I am a big-time crafter with yarns. I do crochet, knit, and plastic canvas, and some latch hook. Basically if it has to do with yarn I do it. Which means I always have a huge amount of yarn here, and I also have well over 100 pattern books and pattern leaflets too.

I have put it in my will that all of my crafting materials are to go to an adult care center or a nursing home. Whichever one that will take it. I didn't specify a particular place because their situation may change and they may not be able to take it.

But this way I know that all my years worth of collecting this stuff won't go to waste when I die. And since I don't have any family to leave it to, I know that someone will get it and appreciate it.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Has anyone ever thought about what will happen to all of our craft things when we die? It's kind of a morbid thing to think about, I know, but has anyone ever thought about it? I did, and actually put it into my will what I want done with it.

Like most of us, I have tons of craft things. In my case it's bins and bins full of yarns of all kinds, plus I'd say I have at least 4-500 pattern books (that's not including all the ones I have on flash drives that I've downloaded. That must be at least another 5-600!). Plus all the doodads that go with it, crochet hooks, knitting needles, stitch counters, stitch markers, and rulers. I'm sure everyone knows what-all else!

Anyway, I put it into my will for all my craft supplies to go to the local "old folks home". I'm sure the ladies (and some of the men too) would love to have it. They could craft to their hearts content!

By Cricket from NC

When I was art director for Bible School, I would setup boxes in the schools with the request they ask parents before donating, and they would dump their old supplies in the last day of school.

This was wonderful for our art projects, the glue bottles would be filled from our gallons of glue purchased; pencils, erasers, colors, markers, even scissors, rulers could be sorted and some things sent off to missions as school supplies.

A "TWOFER" recycle. This would be our supply of colors through out the year, you could make things with the spent crayons, shaving them, etc.

By Grandma J from Benson, MN

Teachers spend so much of their own money on materials for the classes. They are always happy to receive old magazines and used craft items. Color books have so many uses for children's crafts, especially seasonal type of pictures. Unused bottles of glue, beads, wall paper end pieces. Even string. There isn't much they can't use. Of course leave out glass and other dangerous stuff.

By Ardis

If you have an excessive amount of yarn, it would be great to donate it to a school, nursing home, or someone that needs it for a special project. This is a guide about donating yarn.

balls of yarn

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

When cleaning out your fabric stash, consider donating the fabric you can't use to charity. This is a guide about donating fabric to charity.

Fabric

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Donate your craft items that you know you won't use to a local shelter workshop. Many shelter workshops do not have work for the clients to do on a consistent basis, yet they still need something to do while there.

I have a lot of scrapbooking supplies that I am looking to donate to a good cause that will get some use out of them. Any ideas of any in the central Minnesota area?

Answers

Hospice agency volunteer coordinators are always looking for supplies for parties and holidays. They need them !!

I have craft kits that have all the the necessary parts. I need a place to donate them. I have kits for a stamped cross stitch tree shirt and pot holders, some latch hook large seasonal banners, felt gift card and ornaments, bubble beads for making coasters and a napkin holder, and plastic canvas for coasters and ornaments.

Answers

Senior centers, day care centers and homeless shelters. That is a good place to start. Good luck!!

Your local senior center is the best place. Many seniors aren't as active as they used to be, but these projects are things they can still do and enjoy.

You could also try your local elementary school or homeschool group. :) I love the homeless shelter idea the best from Sandi though.

The seniors at my Center would love to have them. Please contact me program starts in three weeks 303-476-3629

Where can I donate craft items such as ribbon etc?

I make beaded necklaces and earrings. I have a number of beads I know I will never use and would like to donate them. These are good quality beads made from glass and stone. Any suggestions?

Answers

Contact Youth and Senior Centers, battered women's centers in your area, donate to thrifts, homeless shelters, etc. Also check Freecycle in your area.

Any nursing or assisted living facility would love to have them. The older ladies love making jewelry.

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll try that.

I make memory wire bracelets and other little bracelets to not only go in shoe boxes at Xmas but to go to orphanages in South Africa. This helps my manual dexterity which is affected by my multiple sclerosis. I have personally seen the happiness on some of the children's faces. Would be grateful to receive any beads thankyou

My name is Eva Myers, I am 64 years old, I also design and make jewelry ,I also work with clay, crochet ,etc. I was in a bad accident at my job and everything to a stop. I am starting over and would love it if I could some supplies of all kinds, anything would help ,its like an answer to a prayer .I worked at a Strawbridges here in N. j. I sold furniture, carpets, rugs bedding and did some interior decorating. I realy miss working, but I can barely walk now I am looking at about 3 surgeries, but I don,t just sit in my room , but I can't stand or walk much. I need books or magazines. I make it month to month , but I am blessed, I still live and feel like I,m being taken care of like one of God,s children. It would be perfect if I could get help.
Thank you for listening to me, I know I probably babbled to much,but again thank you
Eva Myers
617 N.White Horse Pike
Apt#2
Laurel Springs
N.J. 08021

My phone is being fixed,the storm knocked out the line

I have fabric, yardage as well as remnants, and yarn of varying types, fancy to basic, and would like to donate. I also have doll making supplies, heads, bodies, hair, etc. I have inherited these craft supplies and would like to donate in the Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno, California area. Any suggestions?

By Theresa T.

Answers

You might consider donating your "stash" to a senior center, boy's and girl's clubs, homeless shelter, etc., in your area.

Quilters and knitters who make goods for others would welcome your yard and fabric ends. For the remainder, why not post an advertisement on kijiji or Craigslist?

A local Brownie or Girl Scout troop would be great. Back in the dark ages when I was a Brownie and Scout our leaders had to beg for this sort of thing. Another place you might try is your local middle school. I used to sub for a school district in Houston and I found that the art teachers prayed for stashes such as yours.
All that stuff takes years to acquire and it is sheer heaven to have it dumped in your lap by a kind hearted soul.

Seniors that my Center would love to have these items just starting out please contact me Sophia at 303-476-3629

I am downsizing and have some craft supplies to purge - stuffed animal patterns, felt, fabric, pipecleaners, etc. I do not have large quantities of anything, but would love to donate what I have to anyone in the Minneapolis area who could put them to use.

Answers

A school or Sunday School would love to have these. Teachers spend many of their own dollars to buy craft and educational supplies from their own pockets so any donation helps. You'ld be amazed how resourceful teachers can be to use any odd thing.

If anyone has GREETING CARDS or CALENDARS they'd like to see put to good use, I would be delighted to receive them. I'm an environmental educator and teach repurposed workshops to kids of all ages! Send to: Casey, Earth Inspired Crafts and Education, PO Box 1981, Allen, TX 75013-1981. Thank you SO MUCH!

I have tons of beads and jewelry making supplies to donate to some organization that would really enjoy them, but do not know who or how to go about doing this.

By Jill B.

Answers

I serve a school that could use some art supplies. We have an art teacher one half of the school year for three days a week, but the other half we are on our own. Especially for supplies! Our students are wonderful children, but very poor. Any consideration if still available would be appreciated.

Hi John my name is Sophia just starting out a senior crafts program in Colorado would love to pay for shipping for your items please contact Sophia at 303-476-3629

I have about a truck load of material/fabric to get rid of. My mother-in-law passed and one whole room is full. I also have knitting needles, quilting supplies, and anything for sewing and crafting I'm sure she has. I will donate to a good cause or sell really cheap.

Answers

Where do you live? If you are computer savvy, you can put the whole lot on Craigslist and make a little money. Or, donate to the local nursing home, sewing guild, or look at the local charity places around your town and do a little at each. I am sure she would be very proud.