Donating Yarn

Category Miscellaneous
If you have an excessive amount of yarn, it would be great to donate it to a school, nursing home, or someone that needs it for a special project. This is a guide about donating yarn.

I have a lot of yarn and incomplete items that my mom had crocheted. I don't know what to do with it. I tried calling nursing homes for their activities and local churches but they don't have the crafters anymore. Does anyone know of anybody that would love to take this yarn off my hands? My mom was making a lot of Xmas things and there are white, red, green, and many other colors. I have two huge bags of it. I also have old fashioned spools of cotton.

By aj1130 from Philadelphia, PA far NE

Answers

Best Answer

After my mother, a great crafter, died, my sister and I packed up all her craft supplies and gave them to the local Girl Scout headquarters. They were very happy to get them for their crafts programs. You might try them.

Best Answer

Preschools and day care centers can use yarn for arts and crafts time. This time of year maybe Vacation Bible Schools.

Best Answer

Don't hesitate to give your yarn to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, or any charity to which you'd give clothes and household goods. I've noticed that yarn sells very quickly at my local thrift store. The profits from the sale are going to charity and hopefully the yarn is being sold to someone who couldn't afford it otherwise.

Best Answer

If there is an adult day care in your city or town you can donate yarn and other craft supplies to them. They too like to do crafts. A group from adult day care shop where I work and quite often they have something they made (purse, shirt decorations, badges). The caregivers tell me they make lots of things and donations are welcomed.

Best Answer

I worked at an elementary school for many years and I know the art lady appreciated donations of yarn. We also had a teacher who started a knitting/crochet club and she needed supplies. I know my local senior center also has a club that would take the donations. Many of the charities that make hats for preemies or for soldiers would take it. AND many of the homeless shelters or the safe houses for abused women also appreciate this kind of thing.

Best Answer

Many high schools nowadays have what's called a 'knit in' program, where students knit and donate squares that are then sewn into blankets, and given out to refugees, the homeless, etc. Any school with this program would love a donation of wool.

Best Answer

Angels for hope would love to have your yarn. We are all volunteer's and spend our own money on yarn and thread to crochet angels and butterflies for those in need of hope.

These little angels and butterflies are sent FREE of charge to anyone who requests one. You can contact Cindy at angelsforhope.org

This is a wonderful organization. And anyone who reads this and would like more information go to angelsforhope.com and request an angel or butterfly for someone you know who is ill and needs some cheering up. The butterflies can be requested for anyone reaching a 100th birthday!

I live in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area and am in the process of purging my yarn stash. I have quite a bit of sock weight yarn (leftovers from previous projects) as well as other weight yarns. I would like to donate this yarn to someone who will put it to good use; teaching knitting or crochet, or making items for this who in need to be given away free of charge. Anyone interested?

P.S. The yarn in the photo is just part of the stash.

By Pam M.

Answers

Best Answer

Here is a link to an article about prisoners who knit for charity and their families to learn re-socialization and patience. Maybe, if you are inclined you could donate there. http://www.wash … 10f19_story.html

Best Answer

Contact your local Senior Citizen's group. Ours has several 'clubs' inside there that do group crafts. They have a small store inside the center where they sell their merchandise.

Where can I donate latch hook yarn?

Answers

Best Answer

Put an ad on Freecycle or Craigslist. You could also donate to a hospital or nursing home.

Best Answer

I generally recommend calling your local church or Habitat for Humanity thrift stores to see if they can use yarn as I feel the money raised may be used to help someone in need of clothes or furniture.

I have a ton of yarn (various colors, types, sizes) that I am willing to give to a worthy local charity. Please contact me with a brief description of your need, who your charity benefits and where you are located.

Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

If you don't hear from anyone, please go online and look for the local chapter of Project Linus. They make blankets for children in need (our chapter makes blankets for homeless children) children in disaster situations and hospitals. They are always willing to accept donated yarn or fabric. I personally crochet my donations and love knowing it goes to a child who may need a little comfort at a difficult time. This is one of the baby afghans I made recently with all donated yarn.