Donating to Food Pantries

Donating to food pantries is a great way to help others in need. It is a good idea to check with the organization to find out just what they need most. Food pantries also accept toiletries and other household items. This is a guide about donating to food pantries.

In addition to food, consider donating paper goods, toiletries, feminine products, school supplies, and over-the-counter medications. Food stamps do not cover these items, and they can eat up a good part of the budget. If you coupon, as I do, you can get these items for pennies on the dollar or even free.

Source: My years of working with impoverished people.

Top Comment

Being a former counselor at a woman's shelter, I can attest to this. So many of the homeless need socks as well as these items. Thank you for sharing this. I would give you more than 1 thumbs up if I could!!

I make sure I have foodstuffs to donate to our local food pantry in the month of August and September. Most food pantries are particularly hard pressed for donations during this time frame, as many regular donors are still struggling with the bills from vacation and the costs of getting their kids or grandkids back into school.

Staple items such as white flour, peanut butter, quick-fix meal bases such as Hamburger Helper, white rice, powdered milk, instant mashed potatoes and canned juices of any kind are what my local pantry can't keep on the shelves right now as the demand is so great. Also, many food pantries will accept fresh produce from your garden, if you're overwhelmed with tomatoes or zucchini, what a great place to donate them.

By Ronsan from Southwest Missouri

By Chris (Guest Post)
Top Comment

We have two major parties each year here at Hat Creek Ranch, Christmas and the last week of July. I have always ask everyone attending to please bring several items per person to be donated to the local food bank.

Lots of people have parties during the year and asking people to bring food items to be donated is a nice way to give back to the community. I've never had a person attend that didn't bring bags full of donations.

By J. Pruitt (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I work at a food bank, and this is a great suggestion. The months of August and September are low months for us. In addition to your suggestions, other donations that are needed are canned meats, cereals, any canned veggies and we even ask for school supplies for children of our clients.