Donating Household Items to Charity

Charities should be a no-brainier, it seems everyone who reads ThriftyFun shops or has shopped at thrift stores. It makes you wonder if as many people give back to these charities. I am so blessed by getting clothes of name brands, in great shape, at a price I can afford in most of the thrift stores everywhere I have lived.

I didn't, however, understand the full importance of them until my son and I were homeless because I was a victim of abuse. I had to leave California for a while (9 months) with nothing except our dog, 2 small bags, and a bag of my son's toys. We had to get out for my safety so I had to leave the big home, friends, church, and everything else I had once thought was important behind.

Now I tend to really want to know more about the charity, because of my story. I love giving back to ones that help battered women and their children, giving them jobs, food, and helping pay to get them up and started on healing. When I had to leave we went where it was cold, super cold, so from 90 degrees to within 3 weeks to a place in the 40s. It was cold by winter, a month later, with snow. As I said, we had no clothes. In that town, you were allowed to go to a charity based thrift store and pick out 3 complete outfits, per person. We could do this 3 times, making up our entire wardrobes.

When I donate things, I make sure it's clean, ironed, has no holes or doesn't look like anything less then I would wear. I wouldn't throw these items out but rather give to another charity where they may have a 25 cent table, clothes for work, playing outside, etc. I always keep in mind women who are going back to school, work, or starting over. A nice outfit makes all of us feel so much better.

I have had people at church who have had family members who had other problems and they like giving to that charity. Find out what your passion is. Shopping at thrift stores to me is like the mall. Even though I don't shop at them, we all know there are many different stores in every mall. I shop at all of the thrift stores, discount stores, and stores where we all know they have great deals.

When "giving", I choose the one who helped me, they need so much. I know I did. Blankets, shoes (new ones), school supplies, extra dishes, pretty much everything in your house, is what they need. Whatever charity you choose, do it right. Giving back is so rewarding. If you have never been told, let me tell you "thank you" from each and every person who doesn't have a name to you, but who may have a life because of you!

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

7 More Solutions

Just a warning out there to all you good people that donate to Goodwill, thinking that you are helping the needy out. I know from firsthand experience that my local Goodwill Stores receive way more items than they can sell in their stores.

As an Accountant, I recommend that every month people work to gather their excess or unused items and donate it to a legit 503b non-profit charity. The benefits are tremendous!

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

For anyone who files the family taxes, finding deductions is an effort which gives great rewards. One of the easiest places to find deductions is in tax deductible donations to charities. Any donation made to a non-profit charity can be claimed on income tax as a deduction.

Financial Planning

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of a charity that will pick up in Woodstock, Georgia? I have furniture that I would like to give away. Atlanta Furniture and Salvation Army don't service this area.

By heimudan2000 from Woodstock, GA

Answers

If the furniture is clean and undamaged by animals
or people, I'd think you could simply set it out
by the street and put a sign on it saying, "Free to
Good Home", and see what happens.

Of course, this might apply only if you live in a
neighborhood. Many (even affluent) neighborhoods
want to play with recycling things, or they know
someone who truly needs the furniture items.

I'd much rather give things to my neighbors if they
can use them than to have anyone make any
person pay for it like the thrift stores and used
furniture businesses do. Most of the people
shopping in those places don't have enough money
as it is. If there's any way I can help them, I want
to do that.

If you live in a college town, almost anything
you set out by the street with a "freebie" sign on it
will disappear like magic.

I was taught that "Charity Begins at Home, and
extends outward in ever increasing circles".

If you do not live in a neighborhood (like out in the
country or an inaccessible area), then this might
not work for you.

I hope this helps.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

We called the local Habitat for Humanity when we had to get rid of some furniture. They were very happy to come pick it up! I was able to find them through the phone book, but they have a website, also.

There's also:freecycle.org or call a local church for a deserving family in need?.

A Domestic Violence organization; churches that help those in need?

There is a Vietnam vets organization that will come to you with a truck. You can schedule a pick up online at: www.vva.org

Here are a couple of other suggestions:

Easter Seals
Purple Hearts
A homeless (or any kind of) shelter in your area

Answer this Question

I need to give away my studio apt furniture. I am moving out of state and need to leave asap. I live in Madison Ct 06443.

Answers

Put it on Freecycle, Craigslist, OfferUp, or Letgo

You could donate it to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, a local shelter or thrift store.

Looks like you have some stores near you that may take it. Be sure to call first:

Act II Thrift--madisonabc.org/.../

Helping Hands that this story talks about: patch.com/.../donations-wanted_d6fdf7d9

Donation Town seems like they pick up: donationtown.org/.../

OR if you have a church nearby, call them and see if they can hook you up with a family in need. I am all about micro-charity and to me that is the best way to give your furniture good karma is to help a family in your community who is in need.

Best wishes on your move!

Can you donate swimsuits to a thriftstore? I mean I know it's hygienic and all, but can you? I've seen men swimsuits before, but not so much women's.

Why? Also, is there a product for used swimsuits to be clean and prevent the future customers from getting sick?

Answers

I have seen swimsuits, pajamas and bras at the thrift store. I have purchased pajamas. I have not purchased swimsuits

Most thrift stores will take swimsuits that are clean and have no stains.
They will discard any with stains or any that do not appear to be clean.
They will generally discard suits where the elastic is stretched out of shape.

It is generally accepted that anyone purchasing used clothing will wash/clean them before wearing but a thrift store has no control over that.
Running a swimsuit through a regular wash should sanitize them but adding white vinegar to the rinse might also help.

On used selling apps I have seen people sell swim suits.

I would call and ask your local thrift store if they accept worn swim suits for donation.

In my town thrift stores do not take them, but Plato Closet will take pristine ones. I haven't owned a bathing suit in years. When I did I just rinsed them after every wearing in warm water with a drop woolite or dreft and sun dried them. The heat kills germs but too hot can ruin a bathing suit if it is hotter than say hot tub water. Never use bleach, as it would ruin the suit. That was just for personal use. I don't know of any product to sanitize a suit that wouldn't ruin it.

There are two things I personally wouldn't buy used or donate... underpants and bathing suits. They are just too personal, but that is just me.

I have both seen and purchased swimsuits in Goodwill and other thrift stores. Sometimes they have purchased new ones in lots from failed outlets or China factories but a lot of time they are simply donated

Places like Goodwill take them for sure. Two of my local mom and pop thrift shops take them, too. Just ask the shop.

Answer this Question

If you are purging things from your closets and garage, you need to decide whether or not to try to sell before donating. This page disucsses donating vs selling.

A box of clothing to be sold or given away.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Better Living CharitySeptember 29, 2015
🎃
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Donating-Household-Items-to-Charity.html