Donating Household Items to Charity

Category Charity
Donating household items that you no longer need is a wonderful way to help others. This is a page about donating household items to charity.

Charities should be a no-brainier, it seems everyone who reads ThriftyFun shops or has shopped at thrift stores. It makes you wonder if as many people give back to these charities. I am so blessed by getting clothes of name brands, in great shape, at a price I can afford in most of the thrift stores everywhere I have lived.

I didn't, however, understand the full importance of them until my son and I were homeless because I was a victim of abuse. I had to leave California for a while (9 months) with nothing except our dog, 2 small bags, and a bag of my son's toys. We had to get out for my safety so I had to leave the big home, friends, church, and everything else I had once thought was important behind.

Now I tend to really want to know more about the charity, because of my story. I love giving back to ones that help battered women and their children, giving them jobs, food, and helping pay to get them up and started on healing. When I had to leave we went where it was cold, super cold, so from 90 degrees to within 3 weeks to a place in the 40s. It was cold by winter, a month later, with snow. As I said, we had no clothes. In that town, you were allowed to go to a charity based thrift store and pick out 3 complete outfits, per person. We could do this 3 times, making up our entire wardrobes.

When I donate things, I make sure it's clean, ironed, has no holes or doesn't look like anything less then I would wear. I wouldn't throw these items out but rather give to another charity where they may have a 25 cent table, clothes for work, playing outside, etc. I always keep in mind women who are going back to school, work, or starting over. A nice outfit makes all of us feel so much better.

I have had people at church who have had family members who had other problems and they like giving to that charity. Find out what your passion is. Shopping at thrift stores to me is like the mall. Even though I don't shop at them, we all know there are many different stores in every mall. I shop at all of the thrift stores, discount stores, and stores where we all know they have great deals.

When "giving", I choose the one who helped me, they need so much. I know I did. Blankets, shoes (new ones), school supplies, extra dishes, pretty much everything in your house, is what they need. Whatever charity you choose, do it right. Giving back is so rewarding. If you have never been told, let me tell you "thank you" from each and every person who doesn't have a name to you, but who may have a life because of you!

By Luana M. from San Diego, CA

Just a warning out there to all you good people that donate to Goodwill, thinking that you are helping the needy out. I know from firsthand experience that my local Goodwill Stores receive way more items than they can sell in their stores. So for years now, they send their "surplus" items to a Goodwill Outlet store. At these stores, things are thrown into tubs to be picked over by people. The pricing is done by the pound. The more you buy, the cheaper it is.

Well, the people doing the picking are commonly doing it to send to relatives in different countries. Or, there are some that are buying for scrap metal. I see hundreds and hundreds of things broken, ripped, smashed and trashed as the people are sorting through things. If you think your nice stuff is being resold at Goodwill, think again.

Donate to any other thrift store besides Goodwill. Their prices are getting too expensive and it is a travesty to see so much good stuff being thrown around like garbage.

As an Accountant, I recommend that every month people work to gather their excess or unused items and donate it to a legit 503b non-profit charity (i.e. Goodwill Industries, St. Vincent dePaul, local churches, etc.). The benefits are tremendous! Think of it as a monthly job to gather and inventory goods around the house.

You will be able to save a great deal on your taxes, if you itemize. If you don't itemize, give your donation to family members or friends. Sometimes items will reap you more benefits on your taxes then the small amount that you gain at a tag sale. Keep itemized lists.

We as a country have an abundance to give. Give to really help those in need. Life is about giving!

By xoxo from Plainview, NY

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh

For anyone who files the family taxes, finding deductions is an effort which gives great rewards. One of the easiest places to find deductions is in tax deductible donations to charities. Any donation made to a non-profit charity can be claimed on income tax as a deduction.

Financial Planning

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Does anyone know of a charity that will pick up in Woodstock, Georgia? I have furniture that I would like to give away. Atlanta Furniture and Salvation Army don't service this area.

By heimudan2000 from Woodstock, GA

Answers

If the furniture is clean and undamaged by animals
or people, I'd think you could simply set it out
by the street and put a sign on it saying, "Free to
Good Home", and see what happens.

Of course, this might apply only if you live in a
neighborhood. Many (even affluent) neighborhoods
want to play with recycling things, or they know
someone who truly needs the furniture items.

I'd much rather give things to my neighbors if they
can use them than to have anyone make any
person pay for it like the thrift stores and used
furniture businesses do. Most of the people
shopping in those places don't have enough money
as it is. If there's any way I can help them, I want
to do that.

If you live in a college town, almost anything
you set out by the street with a "freebie" sign on it
will disappear like magic.

I was taught that "Charity Begins at Home, and
extends outward in ever increasing circles".

If you do not live in a neighborhood (like out in the
country or an inaccessible area), then this might
not work for you.

I hope this helps.
Julia in Boca Raton, FL

We called the local Habitat for Humanity when we had to get rid of some furniture. They were very happy to come pick it up! I was able to find them through the phone book, but they have a website, also.

There's also:freecycle.org or call a local church for a deserving family in need?.

A Domestic Violence organization; churches that help those in need?

There is a Vietnam vets organization that will come to you with a truck. You can schedule a pick up online at: www.vva.org

Here are a couple of other suggestions:

Easter Seals
Purple Hearts
A homeless (or any kind of) shelter in your area

I need to give away my studio apt furniture. I am moving out of state and need to leave asap. I live in Madison Ct 06443.

Answers

Put it on Freecycle, Craigslist, OfferUp, or Letgo

You could donate it to Goodwill, the Salvation Army, a local shelter or thrift store.

Looks like you have some stores near you that may take it. Be sure to call first:

Act II Thrift--madisonabc.org/.../

Helping Hands that this story talks about: patch.com/.../donations-wanted_d6fdf7d9

Donation Town seems like they pick up: donationtown.org/.../

OR if you have a church nearby, call them and see if they can hook you up with a family in need. I am all about micro-charity and to me that is the best way to give your furniture good karma is to help a family in your community who is in need.

Best wishes on your move!

Swap shops or get caoch tags and recycle

Yes thank you. I did try all the churches in Madison and they all told me that they did not have any families in need.
I tried Salvation Army, Habitat for Humanity and all others. They couldn't accommodate my time frame.
I ended up having to call 1-800-Got-Junk and they were able to come same day but at a cost.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

So sorry to hear you had to pay. I wish you had lived closer. We have several families in my area that are recovering from fires and other crisis who would have been so happy to have the items. Blessings on your move.

You could put free in front of your home, post on Next-door, Craigslist under free

Or ask neighbors / friends

Hi,

You might consider giving it to your local Salvation Army or homeless shelter. The easiest way to get rid of the furniture is to set it out and put a free sign on it. It will probably be gone in a few days.

Blessings,

Robyn

GO ON ONE OF THE WEB SITES AND POST FOR FREE LET GO ,CRAIGSLIST,OFFERUP

Put and ad on local craiglist under free, garage sales, and furniture.

If you are purging things from your closets and garage, you need to decide whether or not to try to sell before donating. This page disucsses donating vs selling.

A box of clothing to be sold or given away.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Better Living CharitySeptember 29, 2015
🎃