Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Donating Fabric to Charity

When cleaning out your fabric stash, consider donating the fabric you can't use to charity. This is a guide about donating fabric to charity.

I'm clearing up my sewing room and I have some fabric that I like to donate. I live in the Austin, Texas area and would like to find a charitible organization group where I can donate my fabric.

There are a lot of charitable organizations in Austin that would love to have fabric donations but also many for-profit (or claim to be non-profit) that are just like any other business - they are there to make money for the owners - but - many times they have paid employees that need a job, so there are good and maybe bad points to this type of thrift store.

Basically, decide if you just want to donate your supplies or if you want to only donate where any funds realized from the sale or use will go to someone in need.

Several very good true non-profit organizations: Hospice Thrift Stores, Habitat for Humanity, Salvation Army, and many of your local churches will have their own thrift stores.

All of these are located in Austin and can be found on Google with just the name and Austin or your zip code. Most of these would be very pleased to have your donations.

If you are just looking for a place to donate then here is a link that will help you:

http://austincr … onate-materials/

March 4, 2017 Flag

I would like to donate approximately 5 boxes 18x18x24 of fabric (all types, including: velvets, wool, some lace, silks, etc.) in the Salida, California area. The recipient would need to pick up. Any ideas who to contact?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can post on Craigslist for free. Or, if you have Facebook ask if any of your friends or family would like them.

January 10, 2017 Flag

I have a large box of old, ripped clothes and other fabrics that I would like to donate to someone for a project instead of throwing them away. They have been in the attic, I am in the middle of a move, and I don't have a washer or dryer here, so ideally I would donate them dusty and you could wash them. I am willing to deal with it if I know they'll go to something good instead of a landfill though.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Donate to Goodwill. They shred them, or so I have read.

I have a sewing workroom and have excess of fabric and some odd sizes of drapes in large volumes. Can someone pick up from my factory?

If you are in the United States visit this link for local quilting guilds in your area. http://www.amer  world/guilds.php

Your city's senior center has contacts as well as local hospitals' neonatal units.

When my mother passed two quilting quild ladies came and gratefully took away a lot of fabric from her collection and assured me they would use it and not throw it away.

I would like to donate fabric (all types, including: velvets, wool, linings, some lace, etc.) in the New York City area. I live in the borough of Queens, but would be open to other areas. Any suggestions?

Pat

Look up the local chapter of Project Linus in your area via internet...they take donations of fabric and yarn to make blankets for kids in hospitals, kids of wounded warriors, in disaster areas, etc. A very worthy cause...

December 18, 2016 Flag

Were can I donate fabric and sewing items to charity?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fabrics and sewing goods are always welcome items at nursing homes, any church thrift store, and of course all of the big name charities but I personally give my items to my local Hospice Thrift Store.

I feel like I know just where the money is going to be used as Hospice does such wonderful work in caring for the terminally ill.

Hospice cared for my late husband and my daughter-in-law and they were truly wonderful.

We were never charged (even for a long time stay) and from my understanding there is never a cost to the patient or their family for their services.

If I am incorrect in my information, I truly hope someone will make the correction.

I want to donate fabric that I did not use. Can I donate patterns also? Where can it donate these sewing items?

I have fabric I would like to donate to Pins and Needles. I don't mind paying shipping costs...just like to know the material is being used. Please let me know if you are interested.

Does anyone want yards of cotton or flannel material? I am in the Cassopolis Michigan area.

I found a Project Linus!, In Three Rivers Michigan.

I also have fleece. maybe they will take that as well.

thank you!

Where can I donate several boxes of brand new Christmas yardage? They are cotton prints great for making Christmas quilts, aprons, etc.

Our group is in need of Christmas fabric. We make mini tree skirts to be sent to deployed military personnel. A small tree with skirt is in every gift package sent.

April 2, 2016 Flag

I have free fabric to donations for charity sewing. I'm thinning out my fabric stash, all kinds of scraps to yards of material. I want to give it to people who sew for the charity of others, let me know your situation, through this site.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have 3 large bags of material to give to charity.

December 3, 2015 Flag

I am downsizing, hurray, and have a considerable amount of fabric to donate. I live in Laconia, New Hampshire in the Lakes region, but will drive some to donate. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Look for the local chapter of Project Linus. They make blankets, quilts, afghans for children in hospitals, disaster situations and for children who have lost parents in the wars. Check online, they love to receive donated fabric or yarn for these blankets that bring so much comfort to children in need.

October 21, 2015 Flag

My mom is closing a business that uses yard goods fabric). We need a place/charity in the Tampa Bay, Florida area that has a use for such material. Does anyone have such a charity in mind?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check for the local Project Linus chapter in your area. They make quilts, blankets, afghans for children in hospitals, in disaster situations, etc. They are always willing to take donate fabric and yarn. I am in our local chapter here in Maryland and get so much satisfaction making blankets for children in need. Try looking up Project Linus on the internet for your local chapter.

August 24, 2015 Flag

Where can I donate apparel fabric in Grand Rapids, Michigan?

Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Rose is right. There are a lot of organizations that do homeless work. You could also donate to the local senior citizen center. I hope that helps.

January 7, 2016 Flag

I have boxes of sewing material to give away. Does anyone know where I can donate it to charity in Fayetteville North Carolina?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

check online for a local chapter of Project Linus. They make blankets and afghans for children in hospitals, disasters, children who have lost parents in the war, etc. The ladies in our chapter make beautiful quilts and the group accepts donated fabric or yarn, it would be put to good use. Just do a search for Project Linus

September 17, 2015 Flag

Does anyone know where I can donate fabric in the Pittsburgh Pennsylvania area?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Look for quilting groups? Perhaps those who make blankets for others?

March 9, 2016 Flag

We have some fabric rolls that we would like to donate to charity. We are located in Garden Grove California. Any suggestions? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check online for a local Project Linus chapter. They make blankets, quilts, afghans, etc. for children in hospitals, disasters, camps for children of wounded warriors, etc. and would love donated fabric. The quilts these ladies make are amazing, so much love put into their making for these children.

March 1, 2016 Flag

Where could I donate new quilting fabric and sewing notions in the Eugene Oregon area?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Why not call a fabric shop or quilting center for information about people who make quilts for charity?

July 16, 2015 Flag

Where can I donate fabric in Baytown, Texas?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Look into local quilting clubs / groups, especially Rotary or Kinsmen clubs where members' wives make quilts for families in need.

July 1, 2015 Flag

I have quilt shop quality cottons that I need to de-stash and donate. They have been pre-washed. I need a group in Indianapolis or Fishers Indiana.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wish you lived close by...why not call the local churches or any organizations that help the homeless (food kitchens, etc) and see if they'd like them to create blankets?

You might ask your local library if they know of anyone who does this kind of work for the community.

I hope you find a home for your cotton.

:D

April 20, 2010 Flag

I have lot of free fabric samples. Anyone have any ideas where I can donate them? Thanks.

By Janet from Milwaukee, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use my old fabric to make pet toys and sell them online. They usually sell fast.

Load More
sewing and yarn supplies
Donating Craft Supplies
Better Living Charity AdviceMay 26, 2013
Donating a Car to Charity
Donating a Car to Charity
young medical professional holding sign- Blood Donors Wanted
Donating Blood
donate sign
Donating Household Items to Charity
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 11:23:58 AM on 10.0.1.228 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.