Drilling Holes in Glass

Glass crafters often find that they need to drill holes in glass to complete their project. This is a guide about drilling holes in glass.

November 4, 2012 Flag

I am looking for a diamond drill to drill a 3/4 inch hole in glass blocks. Can you help me find one?

By Greg I

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found my bits at Sears. They are not cheap, but they last a long time!

Try Home Depot or Lowe's. Like the poster said, they aren't cheap, but they last. You could try your local freecycle group also.

December 16, 2011 Flag

If you drill your own glass blocks, you will need to clean out the glass dust. Following are some suggestions for ways to clean your blocks.

Try using rice and water shaken around in the block to clean it out. Then simply empty out the rice, rinse, and let the block air dry.

Another method that works well is to use an empty toilet paper roll attached to the end of your vacuum hose. Bend the unattached end into a cone shape and insert and tape a drinking straw to the cone. Put the straw inside the block and suck out the dust.

Finally, just wash each one with hot water "no soap", immediately after drilling and turn them hole side down in a dish drainer. Washing this quickly will not allow the glass dust to dry inside. They just sparkle when you are done.

December 27, 2010 Flag

Can someone tell me of a tool that will make a hole in a glass jar for wiring a light? The drill bit tools don't work. Or can I buy jars with a hole in them already? Please help.

By Donna

You might also try a glass company in your area. They work with glass and may have the tools you need.

You need a diamond drill bit. There are several sizes, just depends on what you are going to put through the hole. I make night lights with very small wine bottles, drill a hold about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the glass on one side and then stuff a 25 light string in the bottle. They burn very cool and I never turn them off. The LED lights may even be better, just can't find a small enough string for my needs. Good luck!

August 31, 2010 Flag

What do I need to cut a hole in glass (bottle, blocks)? I want to put lights in them and use them for decoration. Can anyone tell me the tools that I would need for this? Or if there is a web site that I could go to for help. Thanks.

By Karen from Reynoldsville, PA

My daughter and I are currently working on these. Get a 1/2" glass drill bit, they are shaped like an arrowhead at the tip. When drilling, drill slow and try to keep the drill bit wet so it doesn't get too hot.

A drill press works best to hold the block still while drilling but we had a friend drill ours. Make sure you rinse the glass bits out right away after drilling, let dry overnight, fill with 50 count or less lights & decorate.

fill with 50 count lights or less & decorate.

I drill a lot of glass blocks and glass bottles, but I changed from the old carbide glass drill bits to a diamond drill bit. Since then, I have never broken any glass.

www.ameriglasco.com/Glass-Diamond-Drill-Bits/Diamond-Drill-Bits.shtml

A good diamond drill bit makes a huge difference.

November 14, 2013 Flag

We drilled a case of glass blocks and the rinse out process didn't work, there is still residue left inside. How do we get the cloudy residue out?

By Ma

Crushed ice and salt swirled around the inside and then rinsed out. You can also use crushed ice and broken up egg shells.

July 29, 2009 Flag

How do you put a hole in the bottom of a wine bottle without breaking it?

By Dianne8897 from Wooster, OH

It's not easy! You need a special drill bit. You can sometimes use the one made for drilling ceramics but a diamond bit works much better. & while you're drilling you need to have someone drip water on the bit & the area being drilled. This prevents heat build-up. At least this is how a friend told me she drilled a sheet of glass which is basically the same thing (but not as thick as a pop bottle.

Check this out:

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/MAIN.htm

They sell flat nose diamond bits & also have a "how to" section.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/674_Drilling_Ceramic_Tile.shtml

Hello Dianne! I do not know an answer to your question, but I wanted to say hello to you. I'm in Wooster, Ohio too!

Misty

March 22, 2012 Flag

I am looking to find the best way to drill a hole in glass. I have used the Dremel rotary tool, and also a drill press. Both of these work, but it takes so long just to make one hole. It is very time consuming. I would be grateful for any info.

By Rose M from UT

Having a diamond tipped bit helps. Also if you want one to last longer, sintered (sp?) is the way to go.

September 19, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know how to drill a hole in sea glass without it breaking?

By Marlene

I have had pretty good luck using my Dremel with a diamond bit and also my drill using masonry bits. The process is as follows: 1-wrap the area of the glass where you want to drill with masking tape, three or four times. 2-in a shallow container place a thin piece of wood, paneling or plywood work fine. 3-on top of the wood, place a regular cleaning sponge, nothing fancy. 4- once these items are stacked in the container, add enough water to cover the wood and wet the sponge, but do not cover it. 5- with your free hand place the piece of glass on the sponge, gently push down until firmly seated on the sponge and wood. 6- with your drill or Dremel in the other hand place the bit in the spot you want to drill then slowly start to drill, firmly holding the glass so it doesn't spin.

This speeds up the process of drilling only a little, but by constantly keeping the bit and the glass wet so it doesn't get hot there is rarely any breakage. Also, by having the sponge as a cushion you can keep constant pressure on the glass and the drill works faster. It may take some trial and error before you have a process that works for you, so try out on some glass that you aren't too concerned about. Hope this helps!

July 13, 2005 Flag

I bought an incense burner that is a jar and I would like to put a small hole close to the bottom for the scent to come out instead of having the incense coming out the top and having ashes everywhere. Any ideas on how to do this without breaking the glass?

Bobbi

They make a special drill bit just for glass and tile. You must drill at a low speed and keep the glass coll by misting with water while drilling. The drill can be bought at any hardware store...and they come in many sizes.

Stanlie

try this one its a technique used on aquaruiums buy a diamond drill bit because diamond is like the hardest and they're thirty bucks.

December 27, 2010 Flag

How do you get the hole started with the glass hole drill bit?

By bhines38 from Princeton, IL

Answers:

Drilling Glass

I'd put a mark with a permanent pen on the spot where you want to drill and cover it with masking tape. I wouldn't drill directly into the glass without that tape. Slowly begin, until you see some progress. Gently and slowly drill. Or call a glass company and ask them. (10/09/2009)

By PIKKA

August 31, 2010 Flag

Will a 10 inch drill press work for drilling holes in glass blocks for Christmas decorations?

By Christibelle from Houston, TX

Answers:

Drilling Glass Blocks

We dealt with this the last two years. I tried a diamond bit, water running over bit, etc., finally took the blocks to local glass company. I paid a couple dollars a piece and they came out perfect. Perfectly round hole, etc. Glass companies have the right tools for doing this and for the price, it is well worth it. (10/28/2009)

By kkharp

Drilling Glass Blocks

Dewalt makes a diamond drill bit that will make the hole in about 3 minutes. They have different sizes, and I usually buy the 3/8 inch, and keep spraying the hole area with a water bottle and wipe it constantly with paper towel. Also rinse with warm soapy water and let air dry. The bits aren't cheap around 25.00, but if you plan on doing a lot of blocks it's well worth the money. I have bought 3 and done dozens and dozens of blocks as I make a snowman out of 2 sizes and drill 3 holes for each snowman. (01/30/2010)

By Nayzeers

October 27, 2009 Flag

Has anyone made glass block luminaries? If so, how do you drill the hole in the side of the glass block? Any tips?

Patricia from Stoney Creek, Ontario CA

Answers:

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

Pittsburgh Corning has just put a new glass block on the market. (DecorBloc) It comes in a maroon red box. There is a large hole in side of block and they also provide the insert to put in and also a hole in the insert for a plug for a coin bank or for the wire to come out of. The only thing is the price.
They are pricey. $12-$19.00 for large and $9-$13 for smaller one. Joann's, Michael's and some Home Depot stores have them. Also Rona in Canada. (10/22/2008)

By Patricia

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

(submitted via email)
Carrie, I know what you mean. It takes 5-10 minutes to drill one hole. Another tip is not to leave the blocks in the garage when it's cold. The glass is cold and then when you drill and the bit gets hot,
the glass cracks.

Try calling a local glass and mirror place and ask if they would drill the hole size you need. It would be worth it if they don't charge a fortune.

Patricia (10/24/2008)

By jess

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

I use a diamond tip 1- 3/8 hole bit. It is meant to drill a hole perfect for the night light size bulbs. I punch small holes in the lid of a 2 liter soda bottle and fill it with cool water. While my spouse drills the hole I drizzle water from the bottle on the bit. It only takes about 1 minute to do each block. (11/03/2008)

By Deanna

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

We were told to coat the area with liquid soap. It helps to keep the area cool and lubricated while drilling. My husband said that it did help. (01/28/2009)

By Tracey C.

October 5, 2009 Flag

When making the lighted glass blocks, are the diamond bits round like a hole saw? Can a 3/4 size work? We have made some but have used a bit shaped like an arrow head.

Load More
Crafts AdviceJanuary 30, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Glass Pedestal Dish With Brownies
Making a Glass Pedestal Dish
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
🎉
🎄