Browsing: Drilling Holes in Glass

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Drilling Holes in Glass

Glass crafters often find that they need to drill holes in glass to complete their project. This is a guide about drilling holes in glass.

Drilling Holes in Glass
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 4, 2012 Flag

I am looking for a diamond drill to drill a 3/4 inch hole in glass blocks. Can you help me find one?

By Greg I

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try Home Depot or Lowe's. Like the poster said, they aren't cheap, but they last. You could try your local freecycle group also.

Home depot and or Menards have them as I have bought one a few years ago at Home Depot....maybe even try Lowe's.

Read More Answers...

December 27, 2010 Flag

Can someone tell me of a tool that will make a hole in a glass jar for wiring a light? The drill bit tools don't work. Or can I buy jars with a hole in them already? Please help.

By Donna

You need a diamond drill bit. There are several sizes, just depends on what you are going to put through the hole. I make night lights with very small wine bottles, drill a hold about 1/2 inch from the bottom of the glass on one side and then stuff a 25 light string in the bottle. They burn very cool and I never turn them off. The LED lights may even be better, just can't find a small enough string for my needs. Good luck!

You can purchase glass drills. They have a rounded point. I dipped mine in oil and went slowly. Careful not to break through as that will crack your glass. Check the web to see what they look like. You may have to purchase them there also.

Read More Answers...

August 31, 2010 Flag

What do I need to cut a hole in glass (bottle, blocks)? I want to put lights in them and use them for decoration. Can anyone tell me the tools that I would need for this? Or if there is a web site that I could go to for help. Thanks.

By Karen from Reynoldsville, PA

I drill a lot of glass blocks and glass bottles, but I changed from the old carbide glass drill bits to a diamond drill bit. Since then, I have never broken any glass.

www.ameriglasco.com/Glass-Diamond-Drill-Bits/Diamond-Drill-Bits.shtml

A good diamond drill bit makes a huge difference.

Get a diamond hole drill bit - sorta looks like a thimble. Use 3/4" as it is much easier to put the lights in. I use a drill press with the speed set around 1100 RPM (my press allows you to easily move the drive belt to raise/lower speed) Use a spray bottle with water only to keep the bit cool, and bear down with light to medium pressure. This process takes less than 30 seconds per block.

These hole drills create a smooth hole that will not cut your fingers. I then vigorously shake the block to knock off the glass edges of the glass piece that is inside the block. I then fill half-way with water, plug the hole and shake vigorously, then pour out. This brings out all glass bits and usually the glass plug - though who cares if it remains inside? You can't see it nor does it harm anything. I set it aside to drain/dry and the block is clean.

As to the lights - I use 50 or 70 lights, whatever is cheapest, with white cords. Cut off the end plug and tape the ends with scotch tape or white tape. It won't short out, and can't harm anyone/anything inside the glass block. I drill these blocks a case at a time, and I'm done with everything, including rinsing, in 15 minutes total.

Read More Answers...

November 14, 2013 Flag

We drilled a case of glass blocks and the rinse out process didn't work, there is still residue left inside. How do we get the cloudy residue out?

By Ma

Crushed ice and salt swirled around the inside and then rinsed out. You can also use crushed ice and broken up egg shells.

July 29, 2009 Flag

How do you put a hole in the bottom of a wine bottle without breaking it?

By Dianne8897 from Wooster, OH

Hello Dianne! I do not know an answer to your question, but I wanted to say hello to you. I'm in Wooster, Ohio too!

Misty

I do drill wine bottles with a drill press. This helps because you can exert even pressure. First fill the bottle with cool water all the way to the top and cork it. I use a vacuum sealing cork. Then use some plumbers putty to create a dam at the drill site and fill that with water. All this is to keep the glass cool. Drill away. The tricky part is at the very end, you don't want to put to much force because it can still splinter.

Read More Answers...

March 22, 2012 Flag

I am looking to find the best way to drill a hole in glass. I have used the Dremel rotary tool, and also a drill press. Both of these work, but it takes so long just to make one hole. It is very time consuming. I would be grateful for any info.

By Rose M from UT

Having a diamond tipped bit helps. Also if you want one to last longer, sintered (sp?) is the way to go.

September 19, 2011 Flag

Does anyone know how to drill a hole in sea glass without it breaking?

By Marlene

I have had pretty good luck using my Dremel with a diamond bit and also my drill using masonry bits. The process is as follows: 1-wrap the area of the glass where you want to drill with masking tape, three or four times. 2-in a shallow container place a thin piece of wood, paneling or plywood work fine. 3-on top of the wood, place a regular cleaning sponge, nothing fancy. 4- once these items are stacked in the container, add enough water to cover the wood and wet the sponge, but do not cover it. 5- with your free hand place the piece of glass on the sponge, gently push down until firmly seated on the sponge and wood. 6- with your drill or Dremel in the other hand place the bit in the spot you want to drill then slowly start to drill, firmly holding the glass so it doesn't spin.

This speeds up the process of drilling only a little, but by constantly keeping the bit and the glass wet so it doesn't get hot there is rarely any breakage. Also, by having the sponge as a cushion you can keep constant pressure on the glass and the drill works faster. It may take some trial and error before you have a process that works for you, so try out on some glass that you aren't too concerned about. Hope this helps!

July 13, 2005 Flag

I bought an incense burner that is a jar and I would like to put a small hole close to the bottom for the scent to come out instead of having the incense coming out the top and having ashes everywhere. Any ideas on how to do this without breaking the glass?

Bobbi

They make a special drill bit just for glass and tile. You must drill at a low speed and keep the glass coll by misting with water while drilling. The drill can be bought at any hardware store...and they come in many sizes.

Stanlie

try this one its a technique used on aquaruiums buy a diamond drill bit because diamond is like the hardest and they're thirty bucks.

December 16, 2011 Flag

If you drill your own glass blocks, you will need to clean out the glass dust. Following are some suggestions for ways to clean your blocks.

Load More
Crafts AdviceJanuary 30, 2013
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Glass Pedestal Dish With Brownies
Making a Glass Pedestal Dish
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 24, 2016 at 8:04:39 PM on 10.0.2.171 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.