Drilling Holes in Glass

Glass crafters often find that they need to drill holes in glass to complete their project. This is a guide about drilling holes in glass.

Drilling Holes in Glass
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

How can I prevent glass shards from falling into a wine bottle, which is creating scratches in the bottle?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a diamond drill to drill a 3/4 inch hole in glass blocks. Can you help me find one?

By Greg I

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Home depot and or Menards have them as I have bought one a few years ago at Home Depot....maybe even try Lowe's.

Read More Answers...

Can someone tell me of a tool that will make a hole in a glass jar for wiring a light? The drill bit tools don't work. Or can I buy jars with a hole in them already? Please help.

By Donna

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can purchase glass drills. They have a rounded point. I dipped mine in oil and went slowly. Careful not to break through as that will crack your glass. Check the web to see what they look like. You may have to purchase them there also.

Read More Answers...

What do I need to cut a hole in glass (bottle, blocks)? I want to put lights in them and use them for decoration. Can anyone tell me the tools that I would need for this? Or if there is a web site that I could go to for help. Thanks.

By Karen from Reynoldsville, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get a diamond hole drill bit - sorta looks like a thimble. Use 3/4" as it is much easier to put the lights in. I use a drill press with the speed set around 1100 RPM (my press allows you to easily move the drive belt to raise/lower speed) Use a spray bottle with water only to keep the bit cool, and bear down with light to medium pressure. This process takes less than 30 seconds per block.

These hole drills create a smooth hole that will not cut your fingers. I then vigorously shake the block to knock off the glass edges of the glass piece that is inside the block. I then fill half-way with water, plug the hole and shake vigorously, then pour out. This brings out all glass bits and usually the glass plug - though who cares if it remains inside? You can't see it nor does it harm anything. I set it aside to drain/dry and the block is clean.

As to the lights - I use 50 or 70 lights, whatever is cheapest, with white cords. Cut off the end plug and tape the ends with scotch tape or white tape. It won't short out, and can't harm anyone/anything inside the glass block. I drill these blocks a case at a time, and I'm done with everything, including rinsing, in 15 minutes total.

Read More Answers...

We drilled a case of glass blocks and the rinse out process didn't work, there is still residue left inside. How do we get the cloudy residue out?

By Ma

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Crushed ice and salt swirled around the inside and then rinsed out. You can also use crushed ice and broken up egg shells.

How do you put a hole in the bottom of a wine bottle without breaking it?

By Dianne8897 from Wooster, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I do drill wine bottles with a drill press. This helps because you can exert even pressure. First fill the bottle with cool water all the way to the top and cork it. I use a vacuum sealing cork. Then use some plumbers putty to create a dam at the drill site and fill that with water. All this is to keep the glass cool. Drill away. The tricky part is at the very end, you don't want to put to much force because it can still splinter.

Read More Answers...

I am looking to find the best way to drill a hole in glass. I have used the Dremel rotary tool, and also a drill press. Both of these work, but it takes so long just to make one hole. It is very time consuming. I would be grateful for any info.

By Rose M from UT

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Having a diamond tipped bit helps. Also if you want one to last longer, sintered (sp?) is the way to go.

Does anyone know how to drill a hole in sea glass without it breaking?

By Marlene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had pretty good luck using my Dremel with a diamond bit and also my drill using masonry bits. The process is as follows: 1-wrap the area of the glass where you want to drill with masking tape, three or four times. 2-in a shallow container place a thin piece of wood, paneling or plywood work fine. 3-on top of the wood, place a regular cleaning sponge, nothing fancy. 4- once these items are stacked in the container, add enough water to cover the wood and wet the sponge, but do not cover it. 5- with your free hand place the piece of glass on the sponge, gently push down until firmly seated on the sponge and wood. 6- with your drill or Dremel in the other hand place the bit in the spot you want to drill then slowly start to drill, firmly holding the glass so it doesn't spin.

This speeds up the process of drilling only a little, but by constantly keeping the bit and the glass wet so it doesn't get hot there is rarely any breakage. Also, by having the sponge as a cushion you can keep constant pressure on the glass and the drill works faster. It may take some trial and error before you have a process that works for you, so try out on some glass that you aren't too concerned about. Hope this helps!

I bought an incense burner that is a jar and I would like to put a small hole close to the bottom for the scent to come out instead of having the incense coming out the top and having ashes everywhere. Any ideas on how to do this without breaking the glass?

Bobbi

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

try this one its a technique used on aquaruiums buy a diamond drill bit because diamond is like the hardest and they're thirty bucks.

Read More Answers...

If you drill your own glass blocks, you will need to clean out the glass dust. Following are some suggestions for ways to clean your blocks.

Try using rice and water shaken around in the block to clean it out. Then simply empty out the rice, rinse, and let the block air dry.

Another method that works well is to use an empty toilet paper roll attached to the end of your vacuum hose. Bend the unattached end into a cone shape and insert and tape a drinking straw to the cone. Put the straw inside the block and suck out the dust.

Finally, just wash each one with hot water "no soap", immediately after drilling and turn them hole side down in a dish drainer. Washing this quickly will not allow the glass dust to dry inside. They just sparkle when you are done.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How do you get the hole started with the glass hole drill bit?

By bhines38 from Princeton, IL

Drilling Glass

I'd put a mark with a permanent pen on the spot where you want to drill and cover it with masking tape. I wouldn't drill directly into the glass without that tape. Slowly begin, until you see some progress. Gently and slowly drill. Or call a glass company and ask them. (10/09/2009)

By PIKKA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Will a 10 inch drill press work for drilling holes in glass blocks for Christmas decorations?

By Christibelle from Houston, TX

Drilling Glass Blocks

We dealt with this the last two years. I tried a diamond bit, water running over bit, etc., finally took the blocks to local glass company. I paid a couple dollars a piece and they came out perfect. Perfectly round hole, etc. Glass companies have the right tools for doing this and for the price, it is well worth it. (10/28/2009)

By kkharp

Drilling Glass Blocks

Dewalt makes a diamond drill bit that will make the hole in about 3 minutes. They have different sizes, and I usually buy the 3/8 inch, and keep spraying the hole area with a water bottle and wipe it constantly with paper towel. Also rinse with warm soapy water and let air dry. The bits aren't cheap around 25.00, but if you plan on doing a lot of blocks it's well worth the money. I have bought 3 and done dozens and dozens of blocks as I make a snowman out of 2 sizes and drill 3 holes for each snowman. (01/30/2010)

By Nayzeers

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Has anyone made glass block luminaries? If so, how do you drill the hole in the side of the glass block? Any tips?

Patricia from Stoney Creek, Ontario CA

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

Pittsburgh Corning has just put a new glass block on the market. (DecorBloc) It comes in a maroon red box. There is a large hole in side of block and they also provide the insert to put in and also a hole in the insert for a plug for a coin bank or for the wire to come out of. The only thing is the price.
    They are pricey. $12-$19.00 for large and $9-$13 for smaller one. Joann's, Michael's and some Home Depot stores have them. Also Rona in Canada. (10/22/2008)

By Patricia

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

(submitted via email)
    Carrie, I know what you mean. It takes 5-10 minutes to drill one hole. Another tip is not to leave the blocks in the garage when it's cold. The glass is cold and then when you drill and the bit gets hot,
    the glass cracks.

Try calling a local glass and mirror place and ask if they would drill the hole size you need. It would be worth it if they don't charge a fortune.

Patricia (10/24/2008)

By jess

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

I use a diamond tip 1- 3/8 hole bit. It is meant to drill a hole perfect for the night light size bulbs. I punch small holes in the lid of a 2 liter soda bottle and fill it with cool water. While my spouse drills the hole I drizzle water from the bottle on the bit. It only takes about 1 minute to do each block. (11/03/2008)

By Deanna

Help Drilling Glass Blocks

We were told to coat the area with liquid soap. It helps to keep the area cool and lubricated while drilling. My husband said that it did help. (01/28/2009)

By Tracey C.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When making the lighted glass blocks, are the diamond bits round like a hole saw? Can a 3/4 size work? We have made some but have used a bit shaped like an arrow head. Is the round one the correct one to use?

Lady of the Lake

Drilling Glass

The arrowhead shaped bit is the correct one to use, they are sold as glass/ceramic bits. The hole saw bits will not cut glass effectively if at all without cracking. (03/07/2007)

By marinewife5

Drilling Glass

My experience is that you need to use a diamond bit which can be purchased at a home improvement store or hardware store. My husband uses the "arrowhead" type of bit to drill the beginnings of the hole because it just makes it easier to drill the actual hole. Be sure to keep your bit cool by using cool water drops at the drill site. We suggest you drill for a few seconds and stop to cool the bit and then begin again. I had originally used a 1/2" bit but have found that 3/4" works better for inserting the lights.

At first I was trying to put the lights into the block light tip first and then I discovered inserting them in base first worked much better. The biggest problem I have had was not breaking the glass, but cleaning out the dust once the hole was drilled. I've read on this thread that someone used rice inside the block with some water and shook it around to clean out the dust, but, I did not find that to work for me. However, maybe I did something incorrectly. Now I just put a drop of liquid dish detergent in the hole and fill it with hot water and let it set for a few minutes. Then I use a long handled brush, similar to the ones we used to use to clean out glass baby bottles years ago. I think I found it at a Dollar store.

One more thing, until a few days ago I had no problem with the lights I had purchased. However, somehow I bought a box of lights that had a connector on each end. One end had the prongs to fit into a receptacle and the other had only the receptacle for prongs to be inserted. Of course, neither of those ends will go through the hole so I wound up cutting the wires to the end without prongs, stripping back the wire a little and putting wire nuts on each strip of wire.

See photo. It worked beautifully and fit easily into the hole. The wire nuts can be purchased at home improvement, hardware, or electrical stores. Also, Walmart carries them. Don't make the mistake of putting the two stripped wired together and putting one nut on the two together because you'll burn out the entire string of lights and have to throw them away. Hope this helps. (08/31/2007)

By FirstLady

RE: Drilling Glass

Drilling Glass and cleaning insides

This is on cleaning the inside of the glass brick after drilling. I use a small drill press that I put in my utility sink and use the arrow head bit to drill a hole in one of the corners of the brick (as close as possible to one corner). I run water over the brick to cool the bit. Once the holes are all drilled I will run water into the hole for 3 seconds then swish the water back and forth in the brick and hold the brick with the drilled hole away from me. As I am swishing it around all the water will drain out. I do this three times. Then I leave the bricks to air dry until the next day if you are not in a hurry. (12/06/2007)

By David

Drilling Glass

I also use the arrowhead bit. Makes smooth hole. (10/22/2008)

By jkl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Crafts AdviceJanuary 30, 2013
    Star shaped glass candle holder.
    Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
    Glass Pedestal Dish With Brownies
    Making a Glass Pedestal Dish
    Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
    Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
    Gluing Glass to Glass
    Gluing Glass to Glass
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:10:35 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 318 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.