Browsing: Earning Extra Income

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Earning Extra Income

There are many ways that you can earn income over and above your regular job. On-line sales and part time jobs for friends and neighbors are options. This is a guide about earning extra income.

February 18, 2017 Flag

Hands assembling a round Christmas ornament.

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Put your crafting, baking, or decorating skills to work and earn some extra money for the holidays. This is a guide about use your skills and to make extra Christmas money.

June 29, 2016 Flag

Hand sewing elephant crafts

This is a guide about sewing craft items to make extra money. If you like to sew, perhaps there are projects that you enjoy doing that can also help you to make some extra money.

June 26, 2012 Flag

Photo of Craigslist's website homepage.

This guide is about selling items on Craigslist. There are no fees when selling items on Craigslist, but there are other things you should keep in mind.

May 8, 2012 Flag

eBay Logo

This is a guide about selling on eBay. If you are considering selling on eBay there are some things to consider in order to make it a positive and profitable experience.

February 14, 2012 Flag

Woman Working Call Center

This is a guide about finding part-time work. Sometimes we need to work part time to supplement the family income, in addition to our primary job, or while we are going to school.

June 14, 2010 Flag

What is a good way to earn money without getting an official job?

By McKay from Vancouver, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Don't know if it's a good way but it's my way. I go to yard/garage sales and buy music CDs and DVDs really cheap and then resell them on Amazon.

A lot of different factors: the condition of the CD/DVD, whether it is mass produced or local/amateur produced, the condition of the case (I have a bunch of replacements so this doesn't bother me too much). And above all the price. These are all factors to whether or not I buy a CD/DVD.

There is always the chance these items are not resellable (they have no listing on Amazon or the market is flooded and they aren't worth selling).

I figured out what my bottom line was for the gas to get to the post office, the postage, the cost of the enveloped for mailing, etc. And I have a minimum I will sell CD/DVDs for based on these factors. These are all foactors you will have to figure out as well.

Best Answer

If you like animals you could do house sitting for pets or do a dog walking service. You can also hit garage sales to buy items to sell at your own yard sale or at a flea market. I have made a living doing the later. I deal in antiques that I find at yard sales and junk shops. People give me their unwanted items to have yard sales with and I also pickup things people put out to the curb before the garbage man gets there. I also put things on consignment in consignment shops.

Best Answer

Put your best foot forward. If you good in baking biscuits,or any other baking, cooking, making jams, preserves or pickles and sell them in Flea markets or Home Industries. Take orders for a family dinner and charge them for the meals plus for delivery.When families go on holiday do home sitting or take care of their pets. There's many ways to make money.

If you are good at crafts you could and make crafts and sell them from home or at craft fairs. If you are good at selling, there is Avon. I guess it depends on what you mean by extra money. Why don't you want an actual job? I know lots of really elderly and disabled people that have jobs. Actually if a person is in GOOD health, it is good for them to get out and work at a job, because of your interaction with different types of people. Startin in 1958, I have done several types of work, starting in the old fashioned dime stores(something like the dollar stores now), going to college, teaching school, raising my two daughters, working in a factory, various office jobs, that I could have done even without taking a two year secretarial course. I retired at age 65 and am enjoying my retirement, even though all I have to live off is $700 a month. I don't worry about what I can do for my grandkids, because that is their parents responsibility. If I see something on sale that I know they can use, I get if for them, but it isn't real often.

I would do cooking, house cleaning, wash windows, sewing, ironing, cutting lawns, trimming bushes, etc. Any chores that need to be done around the home.

June 14, 2010 Flag

What are some ways to earn extra money at home? I have a good, but stressful job, so I would rather not do any extra overtime days because I don't want to get burnt out. I have to stay at my job forever since I am paying off a big debt. However, I only get paid every two weeks and I would like extra cash for things like gifts, clothing, happy meals for my grand kids, yard sales, etc. I need the work to be flexible because I want to be able to spend time with my grand kids and family when they need me. So any thoughts? Also how much does one charge for doing laundry and how much per piece of clothing for ironing?

Thank you!

Grandma From Richmond, KY

Feedback:

Spooling Fly Thread

I'm not sure what area you live in, but I live in the Midwest, where we have lots of rivers and lakes and fishing is quite popular. I work at home for a fly company spooling their fly thread, it's just part-time work. I make about $600.00 a month, but it keeps me busy and I can make my own schedule.

By Alica

Dog Training

I decided to become a dog trainer and I am still in the learning process, but once I get my business going, I will quit my present job. Once I graduate, I will continue working at my present job and earn extra cash doing in-home training until I feel secure enough to quit my present job.

Training obedience doesn't require much physical effort if you are concerned about that. Mostly it's teaching the dog owners how to handle their dogs. My study course is half online and half in the "field" and I haven't gotten to that part yet.

If you love dogs, becoming a trainer is a way to make extra cash. There are other options to this as well. You can learn how to train guidance dogs, service dogs like search and rescue or law enforcement.

I realize this isn't for everyone, but dogs are my passion and wouldn't it be wonderful if humans didn't put their dogs in shelters because they (humans) didn't know how to train their dogs? That's the main reason dogs are in shelters and rescues and that's the main reason dogs die. Something to consider.

By Ann

After School Care, Tutoring or Writing

You could do some after-school care and make $200 per month, but would need to be at home every school day for that. Tutoring is good money, as long as you have some sort of qualification. Do you like to write? There are some writers' websites that will help you learn how to submit articles to paying magazines. It can take a while to get in, but would give you the pocket money you are looking for.

By Princessgrace

Medical Transcription

My sister in law works from home doing medical transcription and my ex sister in law has decided to do the same. She is taking a four month class while working full time. My sister in law makes about 12 dollars an hour doing this.

By Christi

Childcare

I have 2 preschoolers and need a reliable babysitter about 1x week. I would love to have an experienced grandma to sit for us and would gladly pay well for her! High school and college girls just don't understand what little kids are all about. You should think about using your skills like child caring and let people know you are interested in that type of work.

By Lauren

Baking

Baking can be big money. I do this every once in a while. Birthday cakes can sell for as much as $20, and you will only have less than 3-4 dollars in it. Mine are around $5 invested, but if I catch the decorations and cake mixes on sale or clearance then my profit margin is way higher. Use the dollar store toys for the decorations on top, add candies, etc. And usually you will get tips as a bonus.

Cookies are good sellers as well as dog cookies. I can't make enough dog cookies to keep up with the demand when I do get the time.

By kattankerous

Shattering the 2-Income Myth

I just read a great book called "Shattering the 2-Income Myth". It teaches ways for a stay-at-home spouse to "work the home". There are a lot of things you can do from home, working or not, to make up for the lost income. It's really interesting and has hundreds of great tips. Pick it up from the library.

By jhansen

Flea Markets

Is there a flea market in your area where you could set up? Are there weekly auctions or estate sales? When I was separated this kept me going. A small investment in box lots that I resold at the flea market was what I sold. It was a hobby at first, but I loved it. It helps if you have a van or a pick-up truck, or car with a big trunk. I met lots of nice people plus I met my present hubby. I still love auctions.

By NellieMary

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Budget & Finance Making MoneyFebruary 24, 2017
eBay Logo
Selling On eBay
Hand sewing elephant crafts
Sewing Craft Items to Make Extra Money
Photo of Craigslist's website homepage.
Selling Items on Craigslist
Woman Working Call Center
Finding Part-time Work
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 3, 2017 at 2:23:44 AM on 10.0.2.106 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.