Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

My husband was raised in the area of Cairo, Illinois. There was a bakery there that I believed was named Eddie's Pastries. They had a dessert called "butter top coffee cake" that people still rave about even 40 years later. On the web I have seen what people believe to be THE recipe, but each time my husband declares it is not the same. I have spent years kissing too many frogs trying to make this childhood memory come to pass.

We have experienced the vast unemployment like so many of you and have been unemployed for one year. My husband's birthday is quickly approaching and this may be his only gift. If anyone has what they believe to be THE recipe, please share it. Just any coffee cake or gooey butter cake recipe will not do. I am told they are simply not the same. I would so appreciate any and all help in this matter. If you are the holder of a true original recipe I will be forever grateful, as will my husband. Thanks everyone!

By Mom from USA

Answers:

Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

You might already have this recipe. I've never tried it, so I can't offer any advice on any adjustments, etc. Good luck on your search! I know it can be very frustrating when you're looking for that special recipe from long ago. Have a great evening!
JB

Butter Top Coffee Cake (From the Cairo Times)

Cake

• 1 package yeast
  • 1 1/4 C warm water
  • 1 C milk
  • 1/4 C shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 C sugar
  • 4 to 5 C flour

Directions:

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
  2. Scald milk and melt shortening in hot milk.
  3. Cool and beat the eggs.
  4. Add salt, then sugar and mix.
  5. Add milk/shortening and mix.
  6. Add yeast and mix.
  7. Mix flour into batter 1 cup at a time (use mixer).
  8. After all the flour has been added, scrape sides of bowl, cover, and let rise 2 hours or overnight. When dough has doubled, put on board or floured cloth and knead 200 times.

9. Divide the dough in half and roll each half to fit pans.

10. Put dough in greased pans and put topping (see recipe below) on dough, let rise in warm place about 2 hours. Topping should be light and fluffy.

11. Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 3S0' F on middle shelf. Just bake till top starts to
    brown slightly, don't overcook.

Eat and die a happy person!

Topping

• 3/4 C butter (better with butter)
  • 1 1/2 C sugar
  • 1/4 C powdered milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 tbs flour
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Directions:

1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Add sugar and continue beating.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time.
  4. Add milk, then flour, then vanilla.
  5. Beat it more. (07/08/2010)

By Newfmom

Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

I suspect what you are looking for is the St. Louis "Gooey Butter Cake". In Cairo they probably called it butter top. It is the best cake in the world and I wish I had some now. If they have a Dearburgs (I may have spelled that wrong) in Cairo they might carry it there. Other Dearburgs in Illinois have it. If you can't find a recipe buy the gooey butter. I think he will recognize it. (07/08/2010)

By Ann

Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake
Black smooth top cooking range.
Cleaning Spills on a Smooth Top Stove
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
piece of coffee cake
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipes
🎉
🎄