Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

Category Baked Goods
Cairo, Illinois was home to Eddie's Pastries who was the maker of this wonderful coffee cake that you may want to copy. This is a guide about Eddie's Pastries butter top coffee cake.

Attention all citizens and former citizens of Cairo, Illinois. I recently had posted a request for a long-loved Cairo, Illinois recipe from the 60s (or perhaps earlier?). The recipe I am in dire need of is the "original butter top coffee cake" from Eddie's Pastries in Cairo.

In my previous post, I had a kind person offer one recipe and another suggest a St. Louis Gooey Buttercake option. Unfortunately, I have tried every recipe offered on the web and each time my husband tells me it is still not the right recipe.

Also, it is nothing like a Gooey Buttercake or even a coffee cake. It is supposedly a legend of its own. After years of trying to bless my husband with the cake of his childhood, I am pleading with someone from Cairo, Illinois, to please offer the original recipe, and not one already on the web.

After one year of unemployment, my husband's birthday is quickly approaching and this may be the only gift I can offer him. I also know that a lady sells these cakes in Illinois, but I do not live close, nor could I afford such luxury at this time.

I would like to surprise him with "THE" recipe that I can make him each year for his birthday. Please help if you can. After such a hard year, this would be a wonderful gift to a husband whom I dearly love. Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your help.

By Marla from MO

Answers

Best Answer

Me again. I think I found it. The original cake has powdered suger on top but this looks like the real thing. I hope it is. Please let me know.
www.thehungrymouse.com/.../

Best Answer

This comes from my Aunt Mary who was born and raised in Cairo.

1 pkg yeast
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons shortening
1 egg
1/4 sugar
2-3 cups flour

Grease a 9 x 13 pan, can be a little larger
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Heat milk and melt shortening in hot milk. Cool.

Beat egg, add salt and sugar and mix
Add milk mixture. Add yeast and mix.

Add flour a cup at a time or less. After all the flour has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl. Cover with wax paper and let rise for two hours or overnight until doubled.

Place on a floured board and knead 200 strokes; roll dough in pan

Put topping (below) on dough and let rise in warm place.

Bake at 350 degrees on the middle shelf for 15 minutes. Watch carefully, the topping will become medium brown.

Topping:
3/4 cup margarine
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup powdered milk
2 Tablespoons flour
3 eggs

Cream margarine until light and fluffy. Add sugar, as your beating, add eggs one at a time. Add milk, flour, and vanilla. Continue to beat until the topping becomes very light and fluffy. Spread over the dough and let rise.

Best Answer

I am from Southern IL and ate eddies cakes every weekend. This is as close as I can find to the real thing.

Cake ingredients:
2 cakes of yeast
1 cup warm water
3/4 cup oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup boiling water
2 large eggs
6 cups unsifted all purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand. Mix oil, sugar, salt, boiling water and eggs until well blended. (add boiling water a little at a time)
Add disolved yeast to mixture. Gradually add flour. Dough will b sticky. Put bowl in fridge and let rise overnite lightly covered. Divide dough into 2 (at least) 13 by 9 pans pat out thin and let rise for 30 minutes.
Goo: (double this)
1 lb powdered sugar, 2 sticks of butter, 2 large eggs, 6 tablespoons Coffeemate, 1 tsp vanilla, 1/2 tsp salt.
Mix butter, eggs, creamer, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Gradually add powdered sugar and blend until smooth.

Spread goo on top of dough and bake at 350 degrees for around 30 minutes. Top will be light brown Do not ove rbake. This is awesome.

My husband was raised in the area of Cairo, Illinois. There was a bakery there that I believed was named Eddie's Pastries. They had a dessert called "butter top coffee cake" that people still rave about even 40 years later. On the web I have seen what people believe to be THE recipe, but each time my husband declares it is not the same. I have spent years kissing too many frogs trying to make this childhood memory come to pass.

We have experienced the vast unemployment like so many of you and have been unemployed for one year. My husband's birthday is quickly approaching and this may be his only gift. If anyone has what they believe to be THE recipe, please share it. Just any coffee cake or gooey butter cake recipe will not do. I am told they are simply not the same. I would so appreciate any and all help in this matter. If you are the holder of a true original recipe I will be forever grateful, as will my husband. Thanks everyone!

By Marla from USA

Answers:

Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

You might already have this recipe. I've never tried it, so I can't offer any advice on any adjustments, etc. Good luck on your search! I know it can be very frustrating when you're looking for that special recipe from long ago. Have a great evening!
JB

Butter Top Coffee Cake (From the Cairo Times)

Cake

Directions:

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
  2. Scald milk and melt shortening in hot milk.
  3. Cool and beat the eggs.
  4. Add salt, then sugar and mix.
  5. Add milk/shortening and mix.
  6. Add yeast and mix.
  7. Mix flour into batter 1 cup at a time (use mixer).
  8. After all the flour has been added, scrape sides of bowl, cover, and let rise 2 hours or overnight. When dough has doubled, put on board or floured cloth and knead 200 times.
  9. Divide the dough in half and roll each half to fit pans.
  10. Put dough in greased pans and put topping (see recipe below) on dough, let rise in warm place about 2 hours. Topping should be light and fluffy.
  11. Bake 12 to 15 minutes at 3S0' F on middle shelf. Just bake till top starts to
    brown slightly, don't overcook.

Eat and die a happy person!

Topping

Directions:

1. Cream the butter until light and fluffy.
  2. Add sugar and continue beating.
  3. Add eggs, one at a time.
  4. Add milk, then flour, then vanilla.
  5. Beat it more. (07/08/2010)

By JB

Eddie's Pastries Butter Top Coffee Cake

I suspect what you are looking for is the St. Louis "Gooey Butter Cake". In Cairo they probably called it butter top. It is the best cake in the world and I wish I had some now. If they have a Dearburgs (I may have spelled that wrong) in Cairo they might carry it there. Other Dearburgs in Illinois have it. If you can't find a recipe buy the gooey butter. I think he will recognize it. (07/08/2010)

By Lilac