Deep Butter Coffee Cake Recipe

Category Coffee
Coffee Cake
Coffee cake can be a delectable treat any time of year. Add some deep buttery flavor to make your next coffee cake especially good. This page contains deep butter coffee cake recipe.

When I was a young adult there was a bakery in St Louis, Mo that sold deep butter coffee cakes with a crumb topping, they were to die for! I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for this? It might also have been a gooey butter coffee cake with crumb topping. Thanks

Sherri from Anacortes, WA

Best Answer

Is this it?

1/2 cup butter softened

1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened

1-1/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups flour, unsifted

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 cup milk or heavy cream

---

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or you can use two 8" round

cake pans. Cream butter and cream cheese until light. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time and vanilla until well blended. Set aside. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture, alternating with milk to butter mixture beating well after each addition. Turn into baking pan(s), sprinkle with topping mixture. Bake in 350 oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

---

Topping:

1/3 cup brown sugar, packed

1/3 cup flour, unsifted

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

2 tsp. butter softened

Blend all ingredients together with a fork.

For an extra crumbly coffee cake, double topping recipe.

Best Answer

Rachael Ray show had Paula Deen on yesterday with a Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake recipe. Might look it up on the RR website. Looked yummy!

Editor's Note: We have that recipe here:

Here's the best link for her delicious recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/j8xhl

St.Louis had the best bakeries that I have ever been to. There was one on Sydny just off S. 18th St. that was to die for. I have yet to find any that can put out that kind of quality. Now that was a long time ago so maybe no-one bakes like that any more. Good luck in finding a substitute.

To R. Timmons - they were the German bakeries that were the best. I'm talking back 36 years ago so it's hard to remember where I used to shop, but we lived close enough to walk to Cherokee St, so the bakery might have been there. I miss those good old days, the texture of the cheesecake was very light and almost spongy and melted in your mouth. Yum yum! The deep butter cake was so rich and good I can't even think of how to describe it, and I'm not talking about gooey butter cake.

To U*u*U - thanks for the recipe, I'm gonna try it!