Feed Pumpkin To Your Dogs

Have any leftover canned pumpkin or maybe even fresh pumpkin that didn't get used up in pies? Try giving some to your dog.

On the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, I was making pumpkin cheesecake and I had a lot of leftover pumpkin. I was planning on making muffins or something with it after the holiday. Well, our dog Honey started making a nuisance of herself in the kitchen, wanting some. A quick check on the internet verified that pumpkin was safe for dogs, even recommended as an ingredient in many homemade dog foods. So we gave her a scoop and she polished the bowl clean! I have been giving her a little bit as a treat now and again as I had 4 pie pumpkins so quite a bit of pumpkin to eat our way through

Be sure to only feed them a small amount at a time, and use pure pumpkin, not any type of filling with spices and sugar. It is packed with fiber and vitamins and she acts like I opened a can of wet dog food so everyone is happy.

Jess in Oregon

Answers:

Feed Pumpkin To Your Dogs

Cooked pumpkin is safe for dogs in moderation! It can provide increased fiber and vitamin A in their diet. Large doses of vitamin A are very toxic to dogs and raw pumpkin is not good for them. It's hard to digest and can lead to intestinal blockages which are often life threatening in dogs. A little cooked or canned pumpkin mixed in with their food is fine but only in moderation. (12/03/2008)

By Shelter Worker

Feed Pumpkin To Your Dogs

I have been giving my T-cup chihuahua, Mitzi, canned pumpkin in her meals twice a day for two years. She loves it. Since she's so little, she gets three small meals a day. Morning is kibble and a little canned meat, lunch is an Alpo cookie crunched up with a scoop of warmed pumpkin mixed in and then topped with a small scoop of baby food (the meats), dinner is kibble with warmed pumpkin topped with baby food.

She's lost weight on this meal plan. I love to eat canned pumpkin out of the can, too. In fact, if I'm craving something at night, instead of having ice cream, I'll have a 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin with some cinnamon on it topped with some cool whip. Works for me! ;-) (12/04/2008)

By lovesthosehounds

Feed Pumpkin To Your Dogs

Pumpkin, for dogs, is generally used for constipation or diarrhea only (1 tsp. per day, for a large dog - no more). I wouldn't recommend feeding it to them any other way or in any other quantities. I have 3 large dogs and always keep pumpkin handy. I buy a can, when it's on sale, divide it up into small bags (about 1/2 cup per bag) and put them in the freezer. I can then quickly thaw a tsp. to give them if they get sick. (12/05/2008)

By Mable C.

Feed Pumpkin To Your Dogs
Pumpkin Patch
Pumpkin Patch Locations
Pumpkin Cream Pie Recipes
Pumpkin Cream Pie Recipes
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies
🎉
🎄