CatsPets

Female Cat Has Started Spraying

Kallie, our lovely 15 year old cat, died suddenly a few weeks ago. We got Abby as a kitten about 1 1/2 years ago. I'm sure Abby knows that Kallie is gone. Lately, I have noticed that she will not go in the litter pan anymore and seems to prefer to go outside. She also has started spraying in many places around the house. She has been spayed. Anyone have any suggestions about this behavior? I just emptied the pan, washed it out, and refilled it with clean litter.

By Rose from Malvern, PA

Try buying a new litter box. She still smells the scent of the older cat. That's what we did with our kitten and it solved the problem. Hope this helps.

Yes, plastic absorbs odors that you can't remove. She's now the dominant cat. Good luck! Sorry about your loss, too.

You might think about a kitten, usually they will friend or even take over its care to work through their grief. It is a must to replace the pan. Move it to another place even in the same room, just change things to help the adjustment. I think the kitten will work though. I even had one take a puppy without a mama to task to work through her loss.

Seems to be a behavior problem. Maybe a new kitten or cat for company otherwise they do have medication to calm your cat and help with the behavior problem. Another thing that can help is to keep your cat in one room preferrablely the bathroom with litter, food and water for one to two week(s). Once she is let out again she may go in litter box only...she also may have a bladder problem and may need to go to the Vet/Clinic. I hope all her problems are resolved. Rescue Cat Mom :O)