Neutered Cat Spraying in the House

Category Cats
Photo of a fluffy Persian cat.
It's generally accepted that neutered cats are less likely to spray in your house. This page looks at reasons why a neutered cat may start spraying and ways you can stop this behavior. While not an easy task, you should be able to reverse this behavior.

I have had 4 indoor cats for 12 years. All were fixed as kittens. They are 12, 11, 10, and 9, all were rescued a year apart. All of a sudden the male, who is 11 years old is spraying everywhere in the house. The vet says he's fine. He does it right in front of me and tries to cover it up. The 9 year old is a male too and the 11 year old loves him, cuddles with him and follows him all over the house. None of my cats fight. Why all of a sudden is he spraying after all these years? Please help.

By Nancytoby from FT Myers, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Answers

Best Answer

Is he stressed out over something? Has something changed? Is he mad at you? We had a male cat (who was also 'fixed'). I found him when I was a teen & he was 1 day old. When I would come home to visit as an adult, he would be mad at me for being gone & would pee and/or spray my suitcase if he could get to it! He also did that around the house when he was upset with my mom sometimes. My mom had to clean up after his 'fits' with one of those odor neutralizers. He didn't start that until he was around 10 years old, did it for a year or two, then quit! He lived to a ripe old age of 19.

How do I get my male cat to stop spraying even after he was neutered?

By Lexie

Answers

Anonymous
Best Answer

By vern I had the same trouble with my neutered male. Health ok. Could not find any help. Looked on Internet. Bought calming collar, Natures Miracle Spray and diffuser from Pet Smart. This takes some time but well worth the time and cost. Will take a little time for results. Follow directions I hope you have good results as I have.

I just got my male, neutered cat today. He is a little over a year old and was neutered 12 days ago. I think he is spraying or at least he just smells really bad! Is this due to the fact he was recently neutered and is in a new environment? Is it likely that he will stop or he will stop smelling?

By Jenny S.

Best Answer

I agree with muttmom. Your cat may have an infection. Get him to the Vet as soon as possible. If you let it go much longer it could be very serious. It is an easy fix if caught early.

We have two gingers, one is a neutered tom and a spayed female. The female sleeps in the lounge and sometimes comes in the bedroom to look out of the window in the morning. The tom spends the night on the bed and wakes me in the morning either yowling in my ear or pulling my hair. Now at anytime he has started spraying my furnishings in the bedroom. He is not showing signs of sickness, he is eating the same, drinking, playing with the female, and sleeping. His coat is very glossy. So why is he doing this?

By Jean

Best Answer

You will need to have him checked for urinary tract infection at the Vet. Then check to see if he is watching any cats outside you home that may be making him feel territorial and make him feel the need to mark his "property" (your stuff). You may need to chase other cats off or block his view.

This is my only cat. He is 9 years old. I have had him since he was a kitten. He is neutered; it was done when he was 2 years old. He uses the litter box and marks. He also has access to a fenced in patio it is like a pet run. Only about 22 feet long and 6 feet wide.

There are feral cats marking the outside of the fence near a bush and he smells it and marks outside which is fine by me. But then he also does it inside.

I live in an apartment on the bottom floor; it is a cave as it is. Am I supposed to board up all the windows so he can't see the cats and never let him see the outside for the rest of his life? And I am supposed to live in darkness for the rest of his life?

I clean the areas when I find them, because they are always different spots. I use special industrial urine cleaner. So it does take the smell away from him and I, but he just marks it again or somewhere else. I even try taking him to the spot kinda like you would with a dog that crapped in the house, and let him smell it and I tell him "bad cat". I even go as far as putting him in the glass door shower and leave him for a time out.

There is no stress around here that I can think of. We are a quiet couple and we love him and spoil him to death, with treats, the good $20 dollar litter
and the good Blue food. He has fresh water all the time.

I also have a full apartment, top - bottom, with my rare international collections. I can't have him spraying all over porous materials, that I can't use the cleaners on.

He once sprayed on my rare collector baseball cards. I had to wipe them all down and store them in a air tight bag with scented baking soda.

I can't put everything up at hip level so he doesn't mark it. That is ridiculous. I am at my wits end and I refuse to give him up.

Please help.

(Yes I know I have a lot of stuff, I like it that way.)

Answers

Anonymous

Go to a vet to see if he has a medical problem such as UTI or diabetes. Once that is resolved, I would steam clean the house because I believe every time he sprays and re-smells he thinks it's a new cat.

Anonymous

You say there's no stress that you can think of??? Rubbing his nose his his urine, telling him bad cat and locking him in the shower sound pretty stressful to me! Also, yes you do have a lot of stuff and you may like it like that but your cat probably doesn't! Personally, and as a trainee cat behaviourist it looks like a very stressful environment for a cat!

I agree. Look at all of the stuff that person has! Any animal (or human for that matter) would be unnerved being a place like that all full of crap from top to bottom. Do something about the ferals on the back porch first, then address the hording issue. Holy moly.

I have 4 cats, 2 that are 10+, one that is about a year old, and one that is about 18 months old. In the last 3 weeks my 18 month old cat has started spraying in seemingly random places all over the house, and it is becoming more regular. I have looked at the reasons and how to cure it, but we have not been away for any long times, nor have there been any major changes around the house.

Please can anyone help and tell me why he is continually spraying and how I can stop him?

Sometimes cats see other cats outside that we dont see. Or they may smell them near to the house. This is often the reason a cat that has not sprayed before begins. Watch carefully out the window and look at your doors and patio doors. you can often see calling cards left at about cat level. If you cant discourage the visitors, block the view where they visit the house. Good luck

If you do not have an answer, the problem continues and you want it to stop, a vet visit might be a good idea. It is difficult to provide an answer with so little information.

I have 8 cats, 5 males and 3 females, all 5 males are fixed. The females will be soon. All of a sudden one of my males (one I've had longest) is starting to spray on my microwave and my entertainment center. I have never had a problem with it before and he has been fixed for over 2 years. Can anyone tell me why he might have started doing this and is there any way I can get it to stop?

By Tiffanie J B.

One of my neutered male cats was doing this. Any flat surface would do..top of microwave, top of dryer, bathtub, storage box lids, etc. Took him to the vet. Turns out he had intestinal ulcers. He's now on "calmicon" and hasn't sprayed or peed on anything inappropriate since he started the tiny little pills. He gets 1/2 a pill, once a day, so the cost is about 10 cents a day.

My cat was neutered many years ago, but continues to spray. It has wrecked all my doors and walls. I have tried those expensive plug ins as recommended by the vet, but he still does it. Can anybody help with a solution to my problem?

By Tracy

I have been having trouble for a couple of years with my male, neutered, indoor cat spraying around the house. He has a litterbox that I scoop everyday. He's been checked out by the vet. The vet also suggested an expensive pheremone plug-in that didn't work. I spray affected areas with enzyme spray. There are periods of time he doesn't do this, but it is definitely an ongoing problem. He is about 10 years old and never had a problem with this before. Any advice?

Sheila

Answers:

Neutered Male Cat Spraying In The House

My daughter's cat did the same thing. He was about 11 yrs. He started doing it just recently. Their house smelled terrible. The vet checked him out for kidney infections. He was fine. Have you had another male kitten in the house? That's what she thought maybe started it. But he was fixed when he was an 8 week old kitten. How do they even know about marking the territory? Anyway, they finally put him to sleep. (09/09/2007)

By LITTLE SUZY

Neutered Male Cat Spraying In The House

My brother's cat did this when his daughter was born. A friend's cat did this when her Poodle died giving birth to a stillborn litter. Another's cat did this when she brought a new kitten home. Another's did this when her sister moved in. It seems to be the way male neutered cats handle stress and change. Is something going on in your life or household? (09/10/2007)

By perfume and powder

Neutered Male Cat Spraying In The House

I have a male cat that is neutered and he started doing this when the windows are open and other toms are outside. He was attacked when he was 9 years old through the screen door and tore his cornea. Not much has convinced him not to do this. He is 14 now and we just clean up after him. If it gets too bad we just close the house back up and that calms him down. Have several other cats and they don't do this, so far. (09/11/2007)

By guest Mary

Neutered Male Cat Spraying In The House

Have there been an changes at all in your household? Cats are extremely sensitive to change.

You might want to give the spray pheromone a chance. I was using the spray pheromone (Feliway) and thought I would try the plug-in instead. I was very unhappy with the plug-in. I didn't think it was effective at all so I went back to the spray.

(09/11/2007)

By Maryeileen

Neutered Male Cat Spraying In The House

I too think this is stress related. I have a male neutered cat that I feed up on my dryer to keep his food away from our two chocolate Labs and one Dalmatian who like to chase him and I find spraying once in awhile on the washer. I think he does it when they try to corner him. (12/09/2008)

By spotscrazy