Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding College Scholarships

The cost for a college education can be astronomical. Finding and securing a scholarship can help lessen the financial burden. This is a guide about finding college scholarships.

March 4, 2011 Flag

May is coming soon. Some schools are very good at helping kids look for scholarships; others are not. Often times home schoolers and adults need guidance for scholarships as well. So, here are a few that I have picked up throughout the years.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I seem to remember hearing about a left handed Scholarship at 1 time, though it wouldn't work for me.

January 23, 2005 Flag

If you have a high school senior in your household, check out http://www.fastweb.com for lots and lots of scholarship opportunities. Many require writing an essay -- if your son or daughter is good at creative writing, they will have an edge! By Becki in IN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

PLEASE do not pay for scholarship searches or any type of finanical aid service. These are SCAMS. You can do it all yourself for free and it doesn't take much time.

May 11, 2006 Flag

Look to local sources when applying for scholarships. You are much more likely to get a scholarship from the school's PTA than you are to get the scholarships given by giants like Coca-Cola and Calgon. It's all a numbers game. National scholarship searches will have hundreds more applicants than local organizations. So increase your odds of getting some dough for school by going local. Many local scholarships in rural areas typically have less than five applicants. Check with your guidance counselor to see what is available

By Brandi M. Seals

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 3, 2007 Flag

Does anyone know about any grants or scholarships for college that you can apply for without a lot of hassle?

Pam

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Check with your college financial office, but anything will require a lot of effort and time if it is really worth it to you.

Best Answer

The only help I received was after I filled out my FAFSA form for college. It helps to do the FAFSA form before March 1st to be eligible for State Grants. I try to do my FAFSA before July 1st to avoid the Federal Interest Rate Annual Increase.

www.fafsa.ed.gov

If you are serious about having someone give you money, it seems like the least you can do is put forth the effort to apply, write an essay, or the like. This weeds out the serious students from the flakes!

Check with any of your public school bus drivers.If they have a Bus Driver's Association at their school they will provide some money to a lucky recipient.

My husband has driven a bus for decades and our district has no money to give out (I'm also a returning student, and if they had anything, I'd know about it)--it's really nice that some other schools will.

But I agree with the other posts, it takes quite an effort to get any help. Sometimes you fill out piles of forms and write loads of essays for very little help, since competition for scholarships or grants is stiff. The hardest part is finding the time. When you're going to school full time, have a home, family and such, time is too limited to fill too many applications. I've had to cut back on hours (12--still full time) to make time to do mine.

Just a note, some require you to fill out the FAFSA to even apply for their scholarships, and in some schools, it may be too late to even do that for the upcoming year.

Go to your public library, someone there will help you get started and yes, Iam afraid you will have to put in "the effort"

You need to fill out the FAFSA. Most colleges require that anyway. Also, check your state's department of education website for state scholarship information. It does take some effort--they have to know enough about each applicant in order to be able to decide who all to give it to.

August 20, 2010 Flag

I am in dire need of an education scholarship, can you help?

By Okama from Kenya

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My husband recently decided to go back to school. The first step is to choose "where" you want to go to school. Second is to talk to an advisor of that school about getting financial assistance. The advisor will be able to direct you to possible web locations for applying for assistance. My husband was fortunate enough to qualify for a "Pell Grant". With a "Pell Grant", as long as his grades stay up, his education is payed for up to a certain amount. We also ended up having to take out a "small" loan for the remainder of the tuition, and living expenses which doesn't gain interest or have to be paid on until 6 months after he graduates.

Did this "small loan" that isnt' due payment until 6 months after graduation have any particular name to it? What would I inquire about at a lending institution?

Education College Life ScholarshipsMarch 11, 2016
A girl who has graduated, wearing her cap and gown.
College Graduation Party Ideas
college students
Inexpensive Activities for College Students
A girl working on online college courses using a laptop.
Taking Online College Courses
Pink piggy bank wearing graduation cap with money in the slot.
Saving Money for College
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 9:27:39 AM on 10.0.1.148 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.