Finding College Scholarships

Category Scholarships
A student using a computer and tablet.
The cost for a college education can be astronomical. Finding and securing a scholarship can help lessen the financial burden. This is a guide about finding college scholarships.

May is coming soon. Some schools are very good at helping kids look for scholarships; others are not. Often times home schoolers and adults need guidance for scholarships as well. So, here are a few that I have picked up throughout the years.

By mom-from-missouri from NW MO

If you have a high school senior in your household, check out http://www.fastweb.com for lots and lots of scholarship opportunities. Many require writing an essay -- if your son or daughter is good at creative writing, they will have an edge! By Becki in IN

Look to local sources when applying for scholarships. You are much more likely to get a scholarship from the school's PTA than you are to get the scholarships given by giants like Coca-Cola and Calgon. It's all a numbers game. National scholarship searches will have hundreds more applicants than local organizations. So increase your odds of getting some dough for school by going local. Many local scholarships in rural areas typically have less than five applicants. Check with your guidance counselor to see what is available

By Brandi M. Seals

Does anyone know about any grants or scholarships for college that you can apply for without a lot of hassle?

Pam

Best Answer

Check with your college financial office, but anything will require a lot of effort and time if it is really worth it to you.

Best Answer

The only help I received was after I filled out my FAFSA form for college. It helps to do the FAFSA form before March 1st to be eligible for State Grants. I try to do my FAFSA before July 1st to avoid the Federal Interest Rate Annual Increase.

www.fafsa.ed.gov

I am in dire need of an education scholarship, can you help?

By Okama from Kenya

Best Answer

My husband recently decided to go back to school. The first step is to choose "where" you want to go to school. Second is to talk to an advisor of that school about getting financial assistance. The advisor will be able to direct you to possible web locations for applying for assistance. My husband was fortunate enough to qualify for a "Pell Grant". With a "Pell Grant", as long as his grades stay up, his education is payed for up to a certain amount. We also ended up having to take out a "small" loan for the remainder of the tuition, and living expenses which doesn't gain interest or have to be paid on until 6 months after he graduates.