Fixing Glider Rocker That Squeaks

I have a wooden glider rocker that I can no longer use because of the horrible squeaking noise it makes as it rocks. I have tried WD40, spray graphite, and even Pam cooking spray to no avail. Does anyone know how to make the squeaking stop?

Crystal from Muncy, PA

Answers:

Fixing Glider Rocker That Squeaks

Check carefully where the squeak is coming from. If it's a loose screw or joint, no amount of oil will fix it; you'll have to tighten or reconnect it. If none of your lubricant applications have helped the problem, this is probably what you're dealing with.

You might also check if it's the chair itself squeaking or if the squeak is coming from the floor beneath the chair when you're sitting. A very tiny floorboard movement can make big noise. (09/13/2008)

By NY Mom

Fixing Glider Rocker That Squeaks

Try putting some Vaseline around all the joints (where wood joints come together). Put a little Vaseline just above the joints, then, using a hair dryer, heat the Vaseline until it runs down into the joints. Before doing this, put an old towel or something absorbent under the area. The Vaseline will seep into the joint and will stay there as a lubrication. Simply wipe off the excess and it will not discolor the wood. I found that it worked for me. I wish you a squeak free day. Al (02/19/2009)

By Uncle Al