Repairing a Glider Chair

Category Chairs
Repairing a glider is generally more cost effective than replacing it, besides it may be your favorite chair and well broken in. This is a page about repairing a glider chair.

I have a 4 year old rocking glider for my nursery and from the looks of it, the bolt came out from the bottom on one side, collapsing one side of the chair as a result. When I try to stick the part back into the hole, it comes right back out after I sit. How do I fix it and secure it back in place?

Answers

Best Answer

This could be an issue with the wood being cracked or broken. You may need to put this back together and add some wood glue to make sure the wood is holding it correctly.

Best Answer

You may need to put some wood filler in the hole so that the screw has something to adhere to. The hole may have gotten larger over time with use. However, 4 years is not a long time.

I have a 25 year old glider rocker. The canvas that is the seat support under the cushion is ripped. I cannot find any replacement parts for it online. Any ideas where I might look?
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

The only way to repair your Glider Rocker is to re-upholster the rocker.

1. This is a heavy duty fabric that is normally bought at furniture stores or companies that re-upholster furniture.
  2. Remove the ripped piece of fabric and take this will you to buy a new piece. You can check local fabric stores in your area. Many of them will carry fabric that is designed for furniture.
  3. Once you have the new piece of fabric fit it in place and use either fabric/wood tacks or fabric nails, to attach this to your fabric back on your rocker.

My husband inherited a glider rocker that we had bought his mother at least 15 years ago, and it has been squeaking like a mouse for the past month. He's tried to lubricate the bearings, nuts, bolts, and washers. That did not help, and today he took the glider apart, finding out that one of the bearings was extremely worn out.

I have a photo attached of the set up, but we can't find the parts anywhere in order to replace them. I found this forum after searching online for any of the parts, and hopefully someone can give us some help.

Thanks!

I was given a rather old wooden glider. It has been in my family for many years and recently a part broke. How can I find this part or fix this chair?

Answers

Go to a furniture repair shop that specializes in restoring antiques. They can order the part for you. You could then have them fix it, or do the repair yourself.

to me it looks fairly straightfoward. You look for that particular piece, either at a furniture repair shop or woodworking shop, unscrew it and then screw the new one back in.

here's an eBay search that could have the parts www.ebay.com/.../glider-bearings

and here's one from home depot: www.homedepot.com/.../N-5yc1vZc7ns

Check with a furniture store, or see if someone has a 3D printer that could make a new one. Or, have a metal one made by an iron or welding shop or if you have an iron forge. We have a blacksmith who comes to our antique club who makes replacement parts for various things, you may have one in your area who will do the same.

Do you have more details about the chair? Manufacturer, year, model number, etc. The first thing I would try to do is find the part on eBay.

There are some reclaimed furniture parts for sale or you may be able to find another chair that you can use for parts. And do you still have all the pieces, maybe it can be welded together.

I received a free glider rocking chair for a church nursery. One of the cam bolts is coming out. In order to assess whether or not it needs to just be tightened or replaced, I need to be able to remove it and reinstall the screws. However, the bottom leg is blocking access to the head of the bolt with a socket wrench, and the clearance between the moving parts is too narrow to secure the middle of the bolt to keep it from moving when I try to remove the bolt with an adjustable wrench.

Any help would be appreciated.

My glider chair moves just fine when nobody's sitting in it. Starting a few weeks ago, when an adult sits and rocks, the rearmost tooth (rightmost in the photo) bumps against the locking bar. I don't see any loose screws or any other reason for the locking mechanism to be pushed lower when someone sits down, so I'm not sure exactly what's causing it or how to fix it. Any ideas?

We have 2 oak Best Chairs, Inc. glider rockers. As we are living at the beach and opening our sliding glass doors frequently, the snake coils under the glider rocker seat have rusted and one of the coils is broken. They need to be replaced. Does any one know where I could purchase these or have them replaced?

Thanks for any suggestions.

By Joyce from Holden Beach, NC

Answers

The chair maker's website may sell parts, that would be my first place to check if this is something you feel you can do yourself. Also a check of the Yellow Pages or an online search for upholstery supplies should yield several potential parts sources.

You could try your local adult education centre to see if the current upholstery class would take on the repair job if you feel you need a low-cost repair solution. They will likely only charge you the cost of parts in exchange for using your chair as a teaching moment.

And there are loads of local craftsmen who do upholstery and repair in your community. Try the off or online community bulletin board to find one reasonably priced with a good reputation for trustworthy work and service times.

No matter who does the work, make sure the part is coated with something like Rust-Oleum to prevent this repeating. Rust weakens metal but if coated with a protectant, you can expect years of service from the repair even in your coastal situation.

www.diyupholsterysupply.com/upholstery-springs.html

I need to replace the 12" X 12" fabric under the glider seat cushion and hardware which is 4 short springs and 4 bolts to hold fabric at back of glider

How do I tighten up or repair my rocker glider? When not in use it reclines too far back and smacks the wall, etc. When sitting in it, it comes forward and will rock or recline as you wish; but get up and it slams back into the wall. I have seen many people post this question, but no answers. Anyone?

When I lean back in the chair while rocking it makes a thunking noise. It seems to be on my right on the bottom part back of the chair. If I sit up straight or lean ahead a bit it glides smoothly. I am just wondering if maybe it's the ball bearings. I tightened any parts that were loose.

Answers

The nuts and bolts need to be tightened. Put the glider on a levelled surface and when u sit on it try not to put all Ur weight on one side.

You probably do have a problem with the bearings. They may need lubrication or replacing. I found a very informative article with photos here: tomstek.us/.../

If your glider is relatively new, I'd contact the manufactures and ask them.

Otherwise, it may need to be tighten or oiled up.

I inherited a glider rocker and it is stuck in the lock position. When I hold up the lock it will glide, but once I release it, it goes right back to lock. What can be done as this is useless for rocking my grandson?

Thank you.

Where can I buy the "s" spring for my glider chair?

I recently won a Stork Craft glider with ottoman at an auction. When I opened the box, the arms were missing and the upholstery covering the seat is trashed. The upholstery is an easy fix, I'm not worried about that. I plan on calling Stork Craft in the morning to price replacement arms, but does anyone else know where to possibly find them? I've been on Amazon, eBay, Target, and various other websites looking for the parts.

Answers

You are on the right track. Stork Craft is the best source. Look for the model number underneath the chair. You must get arms that fit that model.

Was this brand new or used? Did you ask the auction if they had the arms somewhere - perhaps in another box since they opened it and couldn't fit it back into the original box? But I would go with the company for a replacement.

Stork Craft is a good brand - parts would be difficult to find on line as they would be difficult and expensive to ship - and would probably not be in good condition. You may not care about the condition but a seller would not want to show something that was maybe very torn/worn.
I do not know how much time you have before you will be needing this chair but you could try placing ads (free) on Craigslist and Freecycle asking for used chairs, particularly the arms. I believe a large number of the parts/arms will be interchangeable but you could always check one out.
It looks like the Storkcraft company is requiring a LOT of information about parts for orders on their email site.
So you may have to try calling them but be sure to have the model number.
Just for information as to the amount of information required for on-line parts order:

www.storkcraft.com/PartsOrder.aspx

But - here is a site that you can send just an email without all of the other information.

storkcraftdirect.com/.../

I have this old rocker I saved from the trash, but it needs a new bottom (fabric and springs). Anyone know how/where I can get the supplies to fix it?

The zig zag springs keep popping out of the holes. Any suggestions? As soon as I put them in the hole, they slide right out.

We picked a glider off Craigslist. Everything about the chair and ottoman work fine, except while rocking in the chair, a small bump occurs when rocking its full length (to the back). If we rock just mildly (just a few inches), there aren't any bumps or noises. I can almost compare it to a very tiny speed bump. I'm hoping there is a way to fix it so that the whole swing will be smooth.

I already tried tightening all the bolts, and even oiled them (even though they don't squeak). These didn't seem to solve the issue. Any Ideas? Is it a part broken? What usually causes this?

Load More

Home and Garden Repair Furniture ChairsFebruary 13, 2013
😎
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf93217780.tip.html