Foam Craft Ideas for Kids
A pliant material that is great for craft projects with children. This guide contains foam craft ideas for kids
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Using easy to cut foam craft sheets, you can make and decorate cans, boxes, lamps, etc.
Approximate Time: 2 hours
- foamie sheets
- Tacky glue
- craft knife/box cutter
- regular un-sanded grout
- grout knife or spreader
- various miscellaneous tools
- Cut foam sheets into 1/2 inch squares. Use the ruler and carefully cut a piece of foam into half inch strips, then turn strips and cut into 1/2 inch squares.
- Glue squares and any lettering or artwork unto a recycled tin can.
- After drying overnight, grout the gaps with the plain, white, un-sanded grout.
- Clean up any grout left on the "tiles" so that you have only the foam squares and grout lines showing.
- Use a water based varnish or coating, seal the grout and tiles with 2 or more coats.
Use cans as pencil holders, brush caddies, or other office/craft supplies. Small boxes can be covered to look like ceramic planters to hold plants and or flowers.
By Creativeman from Chatsworth, CA
April 15, 20100 found this helpful
Great idea, and I'm sure it wouldn't be as heavy as using real tiles. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Most kids love to make their own doorknob signs and decorations. But these fun foam signs also incorporate a sense of humor into the craft. Instead of just putting their name on the sign, encourage the children to think of a slogan that they want others to know about their room. By sorting through foam letters, they can help hand/eye coordination and spelling.
Related Content(article continues below)
Approximate Time: 15 minutes
- foam doorknob sign
- foam letters
- foam pictures/animals
- Give each child a foam doorknob sign. Have them think up and write down the slogan they want to use.
- Have the children sort a large supply of foam letters to find the exact letter and color needed.
- Have children pick out any additional pictures they want to glue or draw on the sign.
- Have children glue the letters into their slogan, then decorate the sign with foam pictures or hand drawings.
Slogans will need to be short and made of simple words, especially for young children. Try giving them ideas like:
- Swamp Area
- No big sisters (or big/little brothers and sisters)
- No Cleaning Zone
- Trash Pit
- The Princess Palace
- Wilderness Area
- Weird Wonders Inside
- No Adults
- Boys Rule (Girls Rule)
- Kid Heaven
By Aysha from Boise, ID
Read More Comments By guest (Guest Post) Flag
June 14, 20080 found this helpful
I was wondering if you can get the doorknob already cut? If not where do you get the foam?
Summer isn't over yet. Keep the kids busy with this cute blue bird project to hang in a window!Read More...
There are lots of foam shapes that you can use. You pick one out and then poke two holes or cut two small holes in each side. Pick a matching yarn, and then beads to go on the yarn, and then you have a cute little necklace.Read More...
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on March 30, 2017 at 1:10:38 AM on 10.0.1.124 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us