Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Following Fashion Inexpensively

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
2 women shopping at a sale

Trying to keep up with the latest fashions can be very expensive. This is a guide about following fashion inexpensively.

Solutions: Following Fashion Inexpensively

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Find Inexpensive Ways to Follow Fashion Trends

I realize that I have gotten into the habit of looking at fashion trends in magazines (and now online), then figuring out an inexpensive way to follow the fashion. For example, I just bought a SILK black fringed long scarf, with gold stripes for $4.00, when scarves not as nice are $12.00 even at Cost Plus! Ditto for the jewelry there. Even at $4-$5.00, I can get better deals and usually better quality. I love to get the Anthropologie catalog, both print and online, but I only use it as a style guide. Some DIY crafty people online have been doing the same.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

Tip: Ignore Fashion, Buy What You Like

There is fashion and there are things you just like. Espadrilles, for example, those rope soled canvas shoes that originated in the South of France. They come in both flat and wedge styles. I always take mine out for the summer. And this year, they are actually IN fashion! So I get compliments, but I will be wearing them next summer, and as long as they last, because they are part of my personal style. (And P.S. if you get them out-of-style/season, you can get bargains, like I did!)

By Pamphyila from Los Angeles

Article: Clothing; Fashion, Frumpy, or Frugal?

I guess it's pretty obvious that if you try and keep up with fashion, you will go broke. My goal is to try and keep up the illusion of keeping up with fashion.

For instance- there are some colors that are just considered dated. I try not to wear those colors. A lot of times it isn't so much the color, but the fabric that it has been applied to that makes it look so dated.

When a popular color from the past appears again, it is usually with trendy clothing. If it regains popularity, it will soon appear on the more classic pieces.

It is pretty easy to develop your sense of what is outdated. Just go into a thrift store and look around. Most of the clothes will be outdated. Take note of the colors, fabric, styles, and lines of the clothing.

Look at the armholes. That's a dead give away. Older clothes have very little allowance in the armhole. Today's clothing is more relaxed, and while armhole sizes have been decreasing, they are still larger than in most of the clothing you find in thrift stores.

There are good buys in Thrift Stores, but it takes a good eye to separate that which is fashionable and of value from items that are hopelessly outdated. Clothing with classic lines can last for years without going out of style.

If you always shop seasonal sales, you may be able to find new clothing just as cheap in retail stores. In February and March you will find Sweaters at give-away prices. Sweaters are a great staple in your wardrobe. Since they are a separate they can be worn in many ways. Try and keep them in neutral colors, and you will find many uses for them, either dressy or casual.

If you want to save money on clothing, you need to develop your own personal style, and stick with it. No matter how fashionable an item of clothing , unless it looks good on you, you will look frumpy.

It takes a bit of time in the beginning, but saves time and money in the long run. Everyone is different. Learn which lines flatter your figure and the shape of your face, and what colors are flattering to you skin tone.

Learn which styles of necklines flatter you (such as a jewel neck, v-shaped, rounded, square, cowl, etc). Look at yourself in the mirror applying the squint test. Step back and squint at yourself in a mirror to get an overall general impression of yourself. Are you full of curves, straight lines, or both? If you have a round face, you will not look good in clothing with bold straight lines. If your face is angular, avoid clothing and accessories with rounded lines.

Apply this to your accessories also. Don't carry a rounded handbag if you have an angular frame. If you are straight lined or angular, don't buy a pouch type purse.

There are many kinds of patterned designs. Some are rounded, some are very geometric and full of straight lines. Everyone talks about color- but wearing clothes that are in harmony with your body type is just as important.

Once you know your style, another advantage is that you can shop online with confidence- often saving you time and money.

If you do your homework, you can avoid costly buying mistakes. Your wardrobe will go together better, and you will find that you need few clothes.

By Nikki Willhite

Fab Family Fashion at Thrifty Prices

Hi everyone!

Well - I have discovered a new site and wanted to share it with you all. It's centered around fashion and accessories for the whole family and it's fantastic!

Up till now all we have heard about is a 'certain auction site' - and because I had some clothes to sell (and was looking for some too) I tried that route and it was pretty awful...

So, I looked around and found a wonderful alternative - http://www.clothesagency.com - and it is terrific!

In short - it's an international website - with Members from all over the world (I checked - and Membership is free too!) and if you're looking for something to wear at a reasonable price, you can find the most gorgeous clothes on there - from High Street basics to serious designer labels, to mouth-watering vintage names and all affordable...

Their motto is: 'Where Frugal is the New Chic"!

I found the site to be easy to navigate and to my surprise and delight, when I placed my first order, (I succumbed sooo quickly!), the actual owners were the people to reply, and not some machine..

It was easy to pay, I received my items within a week and I was thrilled with them.

I have told all kinds of people about the site - it has ladies and mens as well as gorgeous kids stuff on there and they tell me they ship all over the world - so don't be put off by it being based in the UK - (there is a lovely testimonial on the first page of the ladies section - that might help!)

Their selling policies are also the best I have found on the web - they charge a very small monthly listing fee (28 day listings) for sellers and this is the best bit - they DON'T hit you for end-of-sale commissions!! Woohoooo!

I am now selling a few things from my own wardrobe on there - Clothes_Peg is my seller name! So please check out my few things and hopefully use the site yourself!

The bottom line is that it is a great site - whether you are shopping for fantastic bargains or looking to sell some of the contents of your wardrobe that you just don't want any more - this is the place to visit.

Above all - the folk who run it are kind and caring and give a great service. Again - the address is http://www.clothesagency.com - good luck!

View This Page

This page is not on ThriftyFun, but we had to share it. Be sure to come back and rate it.

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!