Food Left Out Overnight

Occasionally leftovers do not make it into the fridge, and you need to know if it's still safe to eat. This guide is about food left out overnight.

March 28, 2013 Flag

The stew in my slow-cooker was just finishing cooking when I went to bed at 10:00 pm. It was way too hot to put in the refrigerator. I left it covered on the counter and refrigerated it at 7:30 in the morning. Is it still OK to eat?

By Suky

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Next time put it right into the fridge, doesn't matter that it's hot. If the crock is removable, just put a folded towel under if if your fridge shelves are glass. Uncover it to facilitate cooling. The reason people used to cool things before putting them in the icebox was that hot things would melt the ice. With a fridge, it's not an issue.

Best Answer

The FDA says food should not be eaten if left out after two hours. I don't adhere to this strictly but all night, I wouldn't chance it.

Yes, it is fine to eat. I do this all the time.

If the house is cool & not hot it's ok to eat.

March 1, 2013 Flag

Last night I cleaned some stalks of celery for soup this weekend and cooked it with the top greens. I left it in the water in a stainless steel pan overnight on top of the stove. Can I still use it? I put it in the fridge when I got up this morning.

By Rosemary P. from Medina, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceMarch 6, 2013
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Stainless Steel Sink
Removing Rust from a Stainless Steel Sink
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2017 at 9:51:45 PM on 10.0.2.64 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.