Browsing: Food Left Out Overnight

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Food Left Out Overnight

Occasionally leftovers do not make it into the fridge, and you need to know if it's still safe to eat. This guide is about food left out overnight.

Food Left Out Overnight

March 28, 2013 Flag

The stew in my slow-cooker was just finishing cooking when I went to bed at 10:00 pm. It was way too hot to put in the refrigerator. I left it covered on the counter and refrigerated it at 7:30 in the morning. Is it still OK to eat?

By Suky

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Yes, it is fine to eat. I do this all the time.

If the house is cool & not hot it's ok to eat.

Next time put it right into the fridge-doesn't matter that its hot. If the crock is removeable, just put a folded towel under if if your fridge shelves are glass. Uncover it to facilitate cooling. The reason people used to cool things before putting them in the icebox was that hot things would melt the ice. With a fridge its not an issue.

The FDA says food should not be eaten if left out after two hours. I don't adhere to this strictly but all night, I wouldn't chance it.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food Safety AdviceMarch 6, 2013
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Stainless Steel Sink
Removing Rust from a Stainless Steel Sink
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:10:43 AM on 10.0.0.69 in 498 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.