Browsing: FoodSaver Reviews

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

FoodSaver Reviews

This kitchen appliance can help you vacuum pack all kinds of foods. This guide contains FoodSaver reviews.

Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 13, 2011 Flag

The local super market has a Rival Seal-a-Meal on sale for only $50. I have borrowed my friend's FoodSaver and it worked great. The cost of the Food Saver is the only reason I haven't already purchased one. I don't know anything about the Seal-a-Meal. Is it worth getting for $50?

By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the food saver (got it at the Goodwill for $5) It is an older model. It does work well, but I am sure the rival would do as well. The bags are what make the difference. Unlike plastic bags, they do not allow moisture or air to pass through. This is what allows them to freeze food over a long period of time. I also have the small hand held food saver that works with the ziplock resealable foodsaver bags. I use these a lot for cheese etc. where you want to use some and store the rest. But nothing beats the foodsaver bags for long term. The food saver sealers come up on ebay but be sure the seller has tested the machine. I ordered two at Christmas that arrived DOA. I have saved a small fortune with the foodsaver.

To get 50 dollars of use from a seal a meal or food saver you will have to use it a lot. I have 2 seal a meals and I use both regularly. Not just in the kitchen because it won't actually save you that much. If it is to freeze and keep stuff longer then it won't pay for itself, bags are one width and you can cut to many lengths but one use only. Store frozen stuff longer in the freezer simply by putting it in a plastic freezer bag seal, wrap in paper (some people even use newspaper but I use brown paper bags or uncoated white paper. You can use the uncoated because you supply the coating with plastic bag. You can just slip the plastic bags in a brown paper bag and fold down the top and put a clothes pin on it.

If you craft then the seal a meal can be used there to seal small bags of buttons threads etc. I collect buttons and do woodworking and I use mine to seal matching buttons and in the shop I keep my nuts and screws tidy in sealed plastic bags I made to size. I bought this one for 2 dollars 8 years ago brand new in box at a yard sale.

I have a Food Saver and I just love it. I have saved a lot of money by buying in bulk and freezing the food. However, I thought I'd save money on the bags by buying Wal-Mart brand, not a good idea. The bags leaked and I got freezer burn on some itiems. They didn't hold a vacuum. What is so expensive are the bags. I buy a box of the Food Saver bags at Costco for $45. There's several sizes of bags in the box and it lasts me a long time depending on if we catch a bunch of salmon or not. That's what I've used a lot of bags on but the salmon 's just as fresh after a year as the day it was caught, so it's worth it.

Get on the Food Saver website and sign up for e-mails. They often have great sales. If you are not in a hurry to purchase one and can wait until after the holidays, you can buy one really cheap directly from the company.

Read More Answers...

August 15, 2008 Flag

Don't buy the Foodsaver v1205. It worked for a couple of months then quit! I will never buy another Foodsaver product.

D. from Mason City, IA

I agree with you. I'm on my second -- shame on me -- and it doesn't work correctly most of the time. My first one was just out of warranty and this time I figured it just wasn't worth the "effort" to try to talk to the company. Like you I'll never buy another FoodSaver product! thanks for letting me vent!

I bought one years ago, one of the first they made. It lasted for decades, was used regularly, and only had to be fixed once. I liked it so much that I bought a second one about 3 years ago. I use it all the time and have never had a problem with it. My first one still works, but the new ones can be used for wet items, which I really like. I garden and freeze regularly, buy everything in bulk and repackage, and seal all prepackaged things (like cake mixes, etc), since we live in the south and had problems with bugs. My point is, mine gets used A LOT. Personally, I never realized so many had problems with theirs. My experiences have been pleasant. I'm not sure of my model number...

Seems like they half way work up until the warranty then it's nothing but a big hassel. Never seem to seal properly or suck out the air that needs to be! Very fustrating when you spend money for something that doesn't do what you expect. I garden plus my husband hunts and also fishes, so if anyone has a suggestion on other machines beside FOODSAVER, that actually works--I'd really appreciate the input!

I bought a tilia game saver turbo plus for 279.00 a plastic part where the vacuum lines connect broke I contacted the company. They wouldn't sell me a $1.00 part they want me to buy a new machine don't by foodsaver products.

Read More Answers...

March 19, 2013 Flag

PROBLEM: FoodSaver fails to shut off and seal bag. After investigating this problem on two different models (V835 and Compact II), the problem was found to be that the vacuum pump was no longer able to produce a hard enough vacuum to trigger the sensor which initiates the heating strip which seals the bag.

SOLUTION: Replace entire unit. Do not waste your time or money buying a new heating strip, which is one of few replacement parts offered.

July 28, 2005 Flag

Reviews of FoodSaver Vacuum Packaging Systems. If you have one of these, please post your feedback below and be sure to mention which model you have in your post and how much it cost.

I've never had any problems with the Minipack machine. I have been selling these machines and discounted bags for quite a few years now. My family is in the commercial food equipment company which is how I got started. The bags I sell will work in ANY machine and they are reusable, etc. If you do large volumes I would suggest investing in a minipack sealer (around $299) and remember, they ultimately pay for themselves in the long-run!

December 1, 2010 Flag

Food and Recipes Food Tips Kitchen ToolsJanuary 21, 2013
Foodsaver on Kitchen Counter
Foodsaver Tips and Tricks
A woman putting on deodorant.
Deodorant Reviews
Foodsaver
Repairing a Foodsaver
Foodsaver
Repairing a Foodsaver
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 7:56:17 PM on 10.0.1.53 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.