Browsing: Frugal Decorating Ideas

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Frugal Decorating Ideas

It doesn't have to cost a lot of money to decorate your home. This guide contains frugal decorating ideas.

Rustic looking bookcase.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 21, 2008 Flag

I have a friend who is relocating for her new job and doesn't want to bring anything with her - or even buy new furniture, as she doesn't know how long she will be there. If I were her, I would use it as a chance to do some cheap experimental decorating.

Make a little side table out of a large roll of newspapers tied, with a glass plate on top. Or a pile of old hardback books. Make bottle lamps with converters from the hardware store, wine bottles and thrift shop shades. Use old wood crates for side tables. Make brick and board bookcases. Put your mattress on the floor. Put transparent contact paper on the windows for privacy.

Look around for neat found objects. (I had a big piece of wood I dragged in from a camping trip in the big living room of my old NYC apt. Or collect neat river stones or shells). Make a footstool from a foam cooler covered with a remnant. Make wastepaper baskets from recycled ice cream cardboard containers wangled from your local ice cream place. Recycle any and all containers you can. Be creative!

By Pamphyila from L.A., CA

October 8, 2008 Flag

Framed Cosmetic Mirrors as Bathroom ArtSave or collect cosmetic mirrors (pick them up at sales or thrift stores) and hot glue them to an acrylic or glass frame. Some are upside down. You can mat the background with a coordinating fabric of your choice (under the glass). I used a black 100% polyester here. This is a fun and interesting conversation piece that can go where ever you want to hang it! I hung mine in the guest bathroom - over the toilet! Everyone asks about it!

By PJ from Omaha, NE

December 29, 2005 Flag

I had an extremely large wall behind my couch with cathedral ceilings and couldn't afford to buy large pictures to "balance" the room. We purchased very inexpensive wood molding from Home Depot, mitered it and attached to walls with finishing nails.

Pictures On Large Wall

August 23, 2010 Flag

I always find really nice place mats at local thrift stores. I like ones made from straw, seagrass, and other materials like that. I really like the ones that are loosely woven so you can see through them.

April 15, 2004 Flag

I have been collecting wine and champagne corks for some time now. Never knew what to do with them. Now that I am moving to a brand new apt., a.k.a. clean slate.

December 9, 2008 Flag

I have been redecorating my bedroom and found many items at yard sales, trash day, etc. I have a "new" hand made quilt for my bed that was given to me, and I needed something to accent it. Since I live on a fixed income, my brain went into gear.

August 19, 2008 Flag

For inexpensive artwork that looks like an oil painting, you can use a picture from an old calendar (or similar paper stock) by gluing it to poster board or cardboard and then lay a piece of cheese cloth over the picture. Next step is to brush on a thin coat of shellac over the cheese cloth.

May 28, 2009 Flag

I was looking for some super cheap decorating ideas for a small concrete fenced back yard, e.g., seating, lighting, plants, etc.

By Melissa B

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm not sure where you live but in my area freecycle.org has many people wanting to give away outdoor tables, planters, chairs etc. check it out.

Go to Goodwill. I found some great pots and sconces. The sconses I hung on the house - one on each side of the back window and flower pots line the steps off the deck.

I use one thing on my deck that is perfect for what I want. I took strings of Christmas lights, the tiny ones that go on the tree or around windows, and use only white lights. I attached them up under the railing around my deck, including going down the steps.

This puts out just enough lights to be nice, without putting out enough to be bright or to attract mosquitos. If it's too much light, I simply remove bulbs here and there, or if they arn't the kind that you can do this, then cover some with black electircal tape. The lights don't get hot so it's safe. I love the way it makes my deck look at nite.

If you don't want to use these lights then rope lights will work too. Again, with these if it's too much light, just put black electrical tape every so often until you get the amount of light you want.

Container garden! This year I discovered "recipes" for planters; from a "Spaghetti" planter with tomato plant and herbs; to colourful combinations and varying heights.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer, you could always trek down to the library to find books on building the furniture you want, maybe see if you could score some reclaimed wood from demolition sites. Another cool place to look is at the Architectural Clearinghouses; where construction materials are recycled. You could maybe find a cool old clawfoot tub for a planter... stuff like that. Craigslist and Kijiji are good too! Have fun!

Empty food tins, instead of being recycled can by upcycled into luminaries. Clean and remove labels then use a hammer and nail or metal punch or ice pick (anything sharp enough to make a hole) to carefully punch holes in the sides of the cans without making dents. You can just make random holes or try to make star patterns or anything at all, really. Be sure to add a couple of holes near the top if you want to hang these from a tree or your fence, but be sure to use long pieces of cord or string. Add candles (from the dollar store).

January 24, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a frugal decorating website? Any ideas?

By Jenny from MN

try-

diynetwork.com

bhg.com

livingapartments.com

Try www.frugal-home-decor.com. They have lots of step-by-step, easy and frugal ideas.

Kathy Wilson has a great site. thebudgetdecorator.com I get her weekly newsletters on decorating. She has some great ideas. Hope this helps, Faith

The BHG site has a lot of good inexpensive ideas for decorating.

Well, the best thing to do is to go to Google and type in "budget decorating" and see what comes up. I did that and thebudgetdecorator.com came up. It seems like a good website. I also found rentaldecorating.com, which is a great site.

Home and Garden Home Improvement DecoratingMay 25, 2012
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
Fall decoration with pumpkins, gourds, and Indian corn.
Decorating with Pumpkins
Fondant cake.
Decorating Cakes With Fondant
Feng Shui Decorating, Feng Shui Decorating
Feng Shui Decorating
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 4:16:55 AM on 10.0.0.134 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.