Fruit Fly Control

How do you get rid of fruit flies? At the end of summer when I start bringing the bounty from my garden into my house the fruit flies are everywhere.

Julie from Lindon, UT

Answers:

Fruit Fly Control

I have problems with fruit flies only when I have any fruit ripening on the counter. I do wash all my fruit when I bring it home but sometimes have a problem. Once you get one, it seems you get the whole generation of them.

I started this fruit fly trap a few days ago and it seems to be working. In a jar, I placed a piece of cantaloupe, put a funnel -- spout down, on the top, taped it to the jar using masking tape, so the flies can't get out. I think as of today, I have the whole group. It's like a family reunion in there. They can get in but they can't get out.

My daughter's boyfriend who manages a restaurant suggested what he used as a trap in the restaurant kitchen. Pour some cider vinegar in a jar, cover it with plastic wrap, and then rubber band it tight. Punch some holes in the top with a toothpick. This trap has one fruit fly in it. Like someone suggested there are different types of pests. So what works for one may not work for others. At least, we have a variety of ideas to use.

If I have the problem again, I will replace the cantaloupe with cider vinegar or maybe try both together. You have to keep the fruit flies happy in order to catch them. Good luck. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

Fruit Fly Control

Fruit flies-drain flies and fungus gnats. All just as annoying but all require different action to relieve the problem. Unfortunately they often get mistaken one for another. You need to know which one you have to get rid of them. I have some pictures up and info on all three. Hope it helps.
http://pestcemetery.com/?cat=16 (11/17/2007)

By Dutch 1962

Fruit Fly Control

Wine in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Use a rubber band to make it tight and poke holes so they can get in (make sure they aren't too big so they cant get out. Place in your sink at night and on the counter during the day. Once you get several change the wine by dumping the old in your trash and taking it out right away! Vinegar and hot tap water works great in the drain too. We also put a wine container in the bathroom under a night light and caught several! (03/05/2008)

By Kael

Fruit Fly Control
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
Close up of housefly on white background
Homemade Fly Traps
Apricots hanging on the tree.
Growing Apricots
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
🎉
🎄