Fruit Fly Control

Category Flies
Fruit flies can reproduce very quickly and if you don' stop them early you can end with many in your home in a short time. This is a guide about fruit fly control.

You just bought some bananas or other fresh fruit at the market recently. Now you are seeing tiny spots before your eyes. Your kitchen is enveloped in a haze of tiny flying bugs. You probably have fruit flies. This is a guide about getting rid of fruit flies.

Read More... Was this helpful? 3

I am just curious if anyone has heard of a homemade fly paper type remedy for fruit flies? We have these in our office at work and would like something natural to use, as we have people in our office 24/7. Thanks for any response.

By HelenF. from Pensacola, FL

Answers

Best Answer

I tried everything and found the most natural remedy to be about 1/4-1/3 cup apple cider vinegar with a few drops of cooking oil in a glass. Keep this near fresh fruit (or wherever the flies are) and they will dive into the mixture and drown. It works better than anything else.

Fran

There have been times in the past when a few fruit flies would come into my house via grocery shopping and they multiplied. I usually make sure there is no good food source for the little rascals, swat the ones I can, and they are gone within a few days.

We had a few show up about a month ago and I did all the usual stuff, but we soon had an invasion. I searched the house, and found that my son had left an open cup in the bottom of his closet. It had contained a milkshake, and the little buggers came flying out of it like crazy.

I make sure that all food is covered, dishes are rinsed and put in the dishwasher, trash is removed daily. I removed the cat bowls and am temporarily using small paper plates that are tossed out daily. I've even put all the plants outdoors. The little monsters will not go away.

It's annoying to try to eat a sandwich and shew fruit flies at the same time. They are in every room in the apartment. I know they usually lay their eggs in a food source, but I feel like I've eliminated any potential nesting areas. Short of an insect bomb, does anyone have an idea of how to get rid of these pests?

Dianne from OR

Answers:

Gnats and Fruit Flies

Gnats from plants: in a spray bottle, fill with water, a few drops dish soap and a few drops of peppermint oil (essential oil). Spray the soil where the gnats are.

Fruit flies: open a bottle of gel hand sanitizer. Gnats love this and then get stuck in the gel.

Pouring bleach down your drain is bad for the environment and also not a good idea if you have a septic tank.

By yaffadreams

Fruit Fly Trap

I made a funnel of paper and placed and taped it over a jar with a little pineapple juice mixed with vinegar. The fruit flies are drawn to the mixture and they can manage to get into the jar down the funnel, but cannot figure out how to get back out. I have eliminated whole rooms of fruit flies by doing this. Any kind of fruit will work, especially if it is starting to rot, but with the lack of rotting fruit, the juice mixture works great.

By Mom to 11

Dish Soap

I have the little devils too. I found they like the bubbles when I put dishes in to soak. I use an old plastic glass and put dish soap, then run the water into the glass to fill it with a nice head of soap bubbles. I will come out later to find the little guys have expired on the foam. I also have the pantry moths from a box of dog bones that are driving us crazy too.

By Kathy

Pill Bottle Trap

I can appreciate your frustration as I have to deal with them as well. So much so that I wonder if they have beat the rabbit as the fastest multiplying life form on earth.

Here are some of the things that have worked for me:

1. Take a pill bottle and carve a hole in the center of the top of the lid. Fashion a small funnel out of a piece of glossy magazine paper. Fill the bottle 1/4 way with witch hazel, put on the lid and insert the funnel. Then place it in the area where the fruit fly infestation is the worse. The flies are attracted by the smell of the witch hazel. They fly into the funnel to get at it, but cannot find their way back out and drowning in the very thing that attracted them.

2. Second, get them drunk. Seriously, but a bottle of generic Kahula and put about one ounces in a rocks glass. The smell of the sweet coffee liquor attracts them and when they attempt to get to the sweetness, the alcohol hits them first. So they end up in the bottom of the glass, wait for it. Dead drunk.

Of course wash the mix down the drain unless you are really really needing a drink. Just figure you can get some protein while you get bombed.

By Bob P

Wine and Dish Soap

I used to be a bartender and we used to pour some wine in a shallow cup and add some dish soap. The little pests go after the wine and coat their wings with the soap so they can't fly out. You don't have to mix it, just let the soap float on top.

By sassybritches

Sticky Fly Strip

I've tried the vinegar and dish soap, it works pretty well, especially if you put it under a single light in a room overnight. The best thing I've found is to hang a sticky fly strip where they seem to be the worst, usually next to the kitchen sink. I don't hang it over the sink because one year I ended up with my hair caught on the fly strip. Yuck. It usually only takes a week to catch all the original flies and the ones that hatch out a few days later.

By chriself

Dish Soap and a Slice of Fruit

This works. One small jar filled half-full with water. Add two drops of dish soap which breaks up the surface tension. Add the butt slice of an orange or lemon and fully submerge. The flies are attracted to the fruit, but drown because there is no surface tension on the water.

By saddlebag

How do you get rid of fruit flies? At the end of summer when I start bringing the bounty from my garden into my house the fruit flies are everywhere.

Julie from Lindon, UT

Answers:

Apple Cider Vinegar Trap

I have problems with fruit flies only when I have any fruit ripening on the counter. I do wash all my fruit when I bring it home but sometimes have a problem. Once you get one, it seems you get the whole generation of them.

My daughter's boyfriend who manages a restaurant suggested what he used as a trap in the restaurant kitchen. Pour some cider vinegar in a jar, cover it with plastic wrap, and then rubber band it tight. Punch some holes in the top with a toothpick. This trap has one fruit fly in it. Like someone suggested there are different types of pests. So what works for one may not work for others. At least, we have a variety of ideas to use.

By Laura

Wine Trap

Wine in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Use a rubber band to make it tight and poke holes so they can get in (make sure they aren't too big so they cant get out. Place in your sink at night and on the counter during the day. Once you get several change the wine by dumping the old in your trash and taking it out right away! Vinegar and hot tap water works great in the drain too. We also put a wine container in the bathroom under a night light and caught several!

By Kael

Any quick easy tips to get rid of fruit flies in the kitchen?

Answers:

Vinegar Trap

Take small bowls filled with apple cider vinegar with 3 to 5 drops of dish washing liquid mixed in and place where you notice the flies. They will be attracted to the vinegar and as they investigate will drown since the soap creates a barrier that prevents them from escaping. Empty the bowls daily and keep putting out fresh bowls of the vinegar mixture until the flies are gone.

With severe problems you may find that the vinegar traps work for a while and then stop working. This tends to occur when several different types of fruit flies are present. Some are attracted to the vinegar scent and others don't seem to notice. When the vinegar doesn't work you can use left over wine. Leave the wine in the bottle add a couple of drops of the dish soap and leave the opened bottle where you notice the most flies. Good luck!

By Deb

Fruit Fly Control

You have to make sure that there is nothing a fruit fly can eat. I have a dish washing soap dispenser sitting on the counter. I found them clustered on that. I think they were eating the soap!

When I have a problem I take everything off my counter. I bleach all surfaces, including the sink and sink drain. I cover the cat food and move it out of my kitchen.

You can not have anything in your house that they can eat. They do not just stay in the kitchen either. They will go anywhere in your house that they can find something to eat.

By beckyalan

Traps

I found the best way to get rid of fruit flies was to leave an un-rinsed wine bottle open on the counter, then cork it when a lot of fruit flies are inside. It will take a few days for the fruit flies to die so move it to your garage once you've caught a bunch.

Another option is to put fruit (I used pineapple) in a jar to lure in the fruit flies and then cover. Again, wait until they die before opening the jar. I didn't have good luck with the dishwashing liquid. Good luck to you!

By Sandy

Keep a Clean Kitchen

All of the posted feedback suggestions are good, but I might add to not leave any dirty dishes in the sink and keep the trash can emptied.

By Connie

Bleach

I had a terrible problem this summer with the fruit flies all over the house, anywhere there was a drain. A friend told me to pour 1 cup of bleach down the drains and follow with boiling water. I continued using boiling water down every drain (kitchen, bath etc) daily for about a week and and do this at the first sign of them. Works great, no more problems.

By certified

Gnats and Cat Litter

If you have fruit flies then any one of the suggestions given should work. However, sometimes gnats are mistaken for fruit flies. If your litter box is not cleared of cat feces on a frequent basis, gnats will become a problem in your home. If you do have cats, change the litter and you'll notice that your gnat problem with literally stop overnight.

By Suzanne S.

Vinegar and Water

I have found that rather than using chlorine bleach to disinfect the drains (which is not at all good for the water supply), using straight vinegar, followed by a kettle full of boiling water, will do the trick, without the harm to the environment.

By flowergirl

Wash Fruit When You Bring It Home

When you buy produce at the grocery store, and you bring it home. Rinse it under the taps. Fruit flies lay their eggs on Banana Skins. Wash the bananas as soon as you can, and you won't get fruit flies in your kitchen.

By Evelyn