Fruit Fly Control

Any quick easy tips to get rid of fruit flies in the kitchen?

Answers:

Vinegar Trap

Take small bowls filled with apple cider vinegar with 3 to 5 drops of dish washing liquid mixed in and place where you notice the flies. They will be attracted to the vinegar and as they investigate will drown since the soap creates a barrier that prevents them from escaping. Empty the bowls daily and keep putting out fresh bowls of the vinegar mixture until the flies are gone.

With severe problems you may find that the vinegar traps work for a while and then stop working. This tends to occur when several different types of fruit flies are present. Some are attracted to the vinegar scent and others don't seem to notice. When the vinegar doesn't work you can use left over wine. Leave the wine in the bottle add a couple of drops of the dish soap and leave the opened bottle where you notice the most flies. Good luck!

By Deb

Fruit Fly Control

You have to make sure that there is nothing a fruit fly can eat. I have a dish washing soap dispenser sitting on the counter. I found them clustered on that. I think they were eating the soap!

When I have a problem I take everything off my counter. I bleach all surfaces, including the sink and sink drain. I cover the cat food and move it out of my kitchen.

You can not have anything in your house that they can eat. They do not just stay in the kitchen either. They will go anywhere in your house that they can find something to eat.

By beckyalan

Traps

I found the best way to get rid of fruit flies was to leave an un-rinsed wine bottle open on the counter, then cork it when a lot of fruit flies are inside. It will take a few days for the fruit flies to die so move it to your garage once you've caught a bunch.

Another option is to put fruit (I used pineapple) in a jar to lure in the fruit flies and then cover. Again, wait until they die before opening the jar. I didn't have good luck with the dishwashing liquid. Good luck to you!

By Sandy

Keep a Clean Kitchen

All of the posted feedback suggestions are good, but I might add to not leave any dirty dishes in the sink and keep the trash can emptied.

By Connie

Bleach

I had a terrible problem this summer with the fruit flies all over the house, anywhere there was a drain. A friend told me to pour 1 cup of bleach down the drains and follow with boiling water. I continued using boiling water down every drain (kitchen, bath etc) daily for about a week and and do this at the first sign of them. Works great, no more problems.

By certified

Gnats and Cat Litter

If you have fruit flies then any one of the suggestions given should work. However, sometimes gnats are mistaken for fruit flies. If your litter box is not cleared of cat feces on a frequent basis, gnats will become a problem in your home. If you do have cats, change the litter and you'll notice that your gnat problem with literally stop overnight.

By Suzanne S.

Vinegar and Water

I have found that rather than using chlorine bleach to disinfect the drains (which is not at all good for the water supply), using straight vinegar, followed by a kettle full of boiling water, will do the trick, without the harm to the environment.

By flowergirl

Wash Fruit When You Bring It Home

When you buy produce at the grocery store, and you bring it home. Rinse it under the taps. Fruit flies lay their eggs on Banana Skins. Wash the bananas as soon as you can, and you won't get fruit flies in your kitchen.

By Evelyn