Fruit Fly Control

How do you get rid of fruit flies? At the end of summer when I start bringing the bounty from my garden into my house the fruit flies are everywhere.

Julie from Lindon, UT

Answers:

Apple Cider Vinegar Trap

I have problems with fruit flies only when I have any fruit ripening on the counter. I do wash all my fruit when I bring it home but sometimes have a problem. Once you get one, it seems you get the whole generation of them.

My daughter's boyfriend who manages a restaurant suggested what he used as a trap in the restaurant kitchen. Pour some cider vinegar in a jar, cover it with plastic wrap, and then rubber band it tight. Punch some holes in the top with a toothpick. This trap has one fruit fly in it. Like someone suggested there are different types of pests. So what works for one may not work for others. At least, we have a variety of ideas to use.

By Laura

Wine Trap

Wine in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Use a rubber band to make it tight and poke holes so they can get in (make sure they aren't too big so they cant get out. Place in your sink at night and on the counter during the day. Once you get several change the wine by dumping the old in your trash and taking it out right away! Vinegar and hot tap water works great in the drain too. We also put a wine container in the bathroom under a night light and caught several!

By Kael