Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor

Hardwood floors add beauty to your home; keeping them looking their best requires some care with regards to your furnishings. This is a guide about furniture on hardwood floors.

Video: Stopping Furniture from Sliding Backwards

This video shows you a quick and easy way to prevent furniture from sliding backwards on hardwood floor. View View the full project here: Keeping Furniture From Sliding on Hardwood

Solutions: Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Keeping Furniture From Sliding on Hardwood

We recently had hardwood flooring installed in our house. The first problem that I encountered afterward was that our couch needs to sit away from the wall, but on the hardwood, it always slid backwards. I wanted a solution to keep the couch exactly where I wanted it but also one that wouldn't show too much. Ultimately we decided to use pieces of the leftover hardwood cut to the length I needed. Here's what we did:

1. Measured the distance that I wanted to keep the couch out from the wall, then cut two length of flooring to the right length.
  2. I purchased a sheet of sticky-backed felt (like the felt feet) at the hardware store and cut 4 strips, the length and height of the board ends, to protect the wall and the couch legs. I stuck those to the board ends. Felt on Boards
  3. Then I took some non-slip shelf liner and cut to strips just smaller than the board so they wouldn't show. Non-Slip Liner Under Board
  4. I put the boards behind the couch, with the liner underneath, and pushed the couch back against them. The couch has stayed in place, just how I want it and the boards just blend in with the flooring!
Board Behind Couch

Tip: Keeping Your Couch From Sliding

We have a really nice and shiny hardwood floor, but that means that furniture and rugs tend to slip. So we found the anti-slip material and put it under the rug. It worked so well that we wondered if it could keep our couch(es) from slipping. We discovered that a small piece of the anti- slip material under each leg of the couch works great! Now the couch doesn't move every time we get up from sitting down.

By tiller from the Netherlands

Tip: Prevent Scratching of Hardwood Floors

In order to prevent scratching your hardwood floors, just glue some soft felt to the bottom of your furniture legs.

By Robin

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!