Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors

Red Chair on Hardwood Floor

Hardwood floors add beauty to your home; keeping them looking their best requires some care with regards to your furnishings. This is a guide about furniture on hardwood floors.

Video: Stopping Furniture from Sliding Backwards

This video shows you a quick and easy way to prevent furniture from sliding backwards on hardwood floor. View View the full project here: Keeping Furniture From Sliding on Hardwood

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Solutions: Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Keeping Furniture From Sliding on Hardwood

We recently had hardwood flooring installed in our house. The first problem that I encountered afterward was that our couch needs to sit away from the wall, but on the hardwood, it always slid backwards. I wanted a solution to keep the couch exactly where I wanted it but also one that wouldn't show too much. Ultimately we decided to use pieces of the leftover hardwood cut to the length I needed. Here's what we did:

1. Measured the distance that I wanted to keep the couch out from the wall, then cut two length of flooring to the right length.
  2. I purchased a sheet of sticky-backed felt (like the felt feet) at the hardware store and cut 4 strips, the length and height of the board ends, to protect the wall and the couch legs. I stuck those to the board ends. Felt on Boards
  3. Then I took some non-slip shelf liner and cut to strips just smaller than the board so they wouldn't show. Non-Slip Liner Under Board
  4. I put the boards behind the couch, with the liner underneath, and pushed the couch back against them. The couch has stayed in place, just how I want it and the boards just blend in with the flooring!
Board Behind Couch

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Keeping Your Couch From Sliding

We have a really nice and shiny hardwood floor, but that means that furniture and rugs tend to slip. So we found the anti-slip material and put it under the rug. It worked so well that we wondered if it could keep our couch(es) from slipping. We discovered that a small piece of the anti- slip material under each leg of the couch works great! Now the couch doesn't move every time we get up from sitting down.

By tiller from the Netherlands

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Prevent Scratching of Hardwood Floors

In order to prevent scratching your hardwood floors, just glue some soft felt to the bottom of your furniture legs.

By Robin

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!