Protecting Hardwood Floors

Category Flooring
A dining room with hardwood floors.
Hardwood floors while beautiful and durable are subject to wear and tear from shoes and furniture. This is a guide about protecting hardwood floors.

My dining room chairs were scratching my hardwood floors. Instead of spending money on the stick-on felt thingys that fall off, I cut furry fabric (I used a 2 liter bottle cap as a template for cutting) and hot glued them to the feet of all my chairs.

By Jenn from Lenox, MA

This is something I haven't thought about since the 1950s when everyone had hardwood floors. We bought a 1955 rancher and DH is refinishing the living room and hall floors. I just remembered some things I used to do to protect my floors when moving furniture.

My couch and chairs had the little legs on them with the "skirt" which came down to cover the legs. I put baby socks on the legs to protect my floors. I folded washcloths in 4ths to use under the edges of things where the baby socks weren't suitable. With the renewed interest in hardwood flooring these hints might be helpful again.

By Marty from Knoxville, TN

As we all know, dogs will keep going back to the places they smell their scent. Even if we can not smell it, they can. My little Yorkie ruined our carpet, which we are pulling up and replacing with hardwood. We tried everything to keep him from peeing on the carpet; treats when he peed outside, rooms gated off, scat mats (mild shock when stepped on), and of course he has a litter box, crate, and fenced back yard. He would sneak and pee if we left the room even for just a minute.

We don't want him to ruin the hardwood like he ruined the carpet. So, although it sounds silly, as a last resort we started using dog diapers! The male version just looks like the dogs are wearing a back brace. You stick a sanitary pad on the inside and it wraps around them with Velcro. My dog wears it whenever he is in the house, but we take it off him when he goes outside (because we want him to smell himself in the backyard!)

So far, so good! Just the presence of the "diaper" seems to be deterring him from peeing. And the pad held his urine well the times we didn't get the diaper off him in time (like when he ran outside to pee), so it seems to work. This diaper-deal is actually working out quite a bit better, although his "manhood" is confined, he is not as confined! He has more freedom now than ever before because we have been able to take down some gates and let him roam around the house more. My thoughts are now focused on prevention.

I would say replace hardwood boards the dog has peed on or get the smell out just enough for you to not smell it, and then put a diaper on your dog so he can never mark your floors again!

I have an antique rocker I would like to use on a hardwood floor. How can I keep it from scratching the floor other than buying an area rug for it?

By Rachel D.

Go to Home Depot, Lowe's or your local hardware store and buy felt strips that are made specifically to put on the bottom of furniture to keep it from scratching your floors. They also make the furniture very easy to move.

Hi - you can use felt on the bottom of the rocker but it could be "dangerous" as this will make the rocker slide very easily when you begin to use. It could "slide" right out from under you! I had a friend that had something similar happen and it had bad consequences - use an area rug.

Hopefully someone else may have a better idea.