Share a SolutionAsk a Question

GFCI Circuit Breaker Won't Reset

It is extremely frustrating trying to determine why a GFCI breaker in your home won't reset after tripping. There are a few common reasons this might occur and you will want to pursue the possibilities until you identify the cause.

July 17, 2011 Flag

I have a breaker in my house that has a "test" button on it. It tripped and won't reset. I have checked and the only thing in my house that doesn't have electricity is one outlet in our bathroom. I replaced the outlet, but it still doesn't have electricity and the "test" breaker won't reset, it just keeps on tripping.

By Brent P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

We built a new brick home in 1995 and have (had) the same problem. It isn't the bathroom or you it is the electrician who put the lines in put too many things on the breakers. We had an electrician come and shift things around and added more breakers to our box and fixed the problem. Even if you replaced every breaker or ground fault plug you couldn't stop what is happening without shifting the load.

Best Answer

Oh by the way I forgot one of the problems was one of the ground fault plugs on the outside was getting moisture inside and tripping the button in the kitchen. The carport, back door, bathroom, front porch lite, and plugin, and the living room and utility room was all on same circuit.

I have GFCI's in my kitchen,bath room, garage and outside. If I use the out side GFCI then some of the other GFCI's go off line and I have reset each of the GFGI's in the house if I want want to use one of them. Then when I use the outside GFCI I have to reset that outlet. I have had an electrican over to look at the GFCI's several times and they say they work fine and see no problem so I live with it at the moment.

There's another GFCI, as foxrun41 wrote, which has tripped, either inside (another bathroom or kitchen) or on your home exterior. Obviously, the other outlet controls your bathroom plugin, so you need to do some 'Sherlock' sleuthing to locate the other one and reset it.

Man fixing and electrical outlet
Repairing an Electric Outlet
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalFebruary 28, 2017
Electrical Outlet
Electrical Outlet Stopped Working
electrician working on breaker box
Installing a New Circuit Breaker
Black cord plugged into a GFCI Outlet
GFCI Outlets Not Working
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 2:42:01 AM on 10.0.1.58 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.