GFCI Circuit Breaker Won't Reset

Category Electrical
Close up of a GFCI Circuit Breaker.
It is extremely frustrating trying to determine why a GFCI breaker in your home won't reset after tripping. There are a few common reasons this might occur and you will want to pursue the possibilities until you identify the cause.

I have a breaker in my house that has a "test" button on it. It tripped and won't reset. I have checked and the only thing in my house that doesn't have electricity is one outlet in our bathroom. I replaced the outlet, but it still doesn't have electricity and the "test" breaker won't reset, it just keeps on tripping.

By Brent P.

Best Answer

We built a new brick home in 1995 and have (had) the same problem. It isn't the bathroom or you it is the electrician who put the lines in put too many things on the breakers. We had an electrician come and shift things around and added more breakers to our box and fixed the problem. Even if you replaced every breaker or ground fault plug you couldn't stop what is happening without shifting the load.

Best Answer

Oh by the way I forgot one of the problems was one of the ground fault plugs on the outside was getting moisture inside and tripping the button in the kitchen. The carport, back door, bathroom, front porch lite, and plugin, and the living room and utility room was all on same circuit.

I have GFCI's in my kitchen,bath room, garage and outside. If I use the out side GFCI then some of the other GFCI's go off line and I have reset each of the GFGI's in the house if I want want to use one of them. Then when I use the outside GFCI I have to reset that outlet. I have had an electrican over to look at the GFCI's several times and they say they work fine and see no problem so I live with it at the moment.

There's another GFCI, as foxrun41 wrote, which has tripped, either inside (another bathroom or kitchen) or on your home exterior. Obviously, the other outlet controls your bathroom plugin, so you need to do some 'Sherlock' sleuthing to locate the other one and reset it.