Garbage Tips and Tricks

Keeping your trash contained and reducing odors is important. This page contains garbage tips and tricks.

One way I like to use plastic wrap is to tear off a sheet and line the bottom of a wastebasket with it. That way, when it comes time to empty the wastebasket out, clean up is a little easier.

I also use plastic bags from grocery stores, I kept an empty bag in the bottom of the waste basket.

Insert the edge of your trash bag in an open drawer, then close the drawer. You will then have both hands free for disposing of trash. The drawer acts as a third hand!

Source: I saw a friend do this.

Do you save those used zip lock bags? I often have several and rinse them out and let them dry. Then take an 2-3 pound coffee can and line it with your used ziplock bag. Use the coffee can lid to keep odors in and fill it until the bag is full, then just pull it out and zip it up and toss. No mess, no fuss and certainly no smell.

By barbnov55

Instead of throwing out those large plastic laundry detergent containers, rinse them thoroughly, (use suds from rinsing in laundry load.) Cut off the top of the container and throw away. I keep the lids for the kids to play with and to measure detergent, etc.

Then use the bottom 2/3 of the container for trash on counter in bath or kitchen.

I use my cutoff detergent bottles to store the toilet bowl brush beside the commode.

I have started placing my old t-shirts, night shirts, and any other cotton clothing that is no longer fit to wear on top of my dryer to place in the bottom of the kitchen garbage can. My laundry equipment is in the corner of the kitchen so it is convenient. When I change out the bag I just roll up the old shirt or whatever and place it in the bottom. It will soak up some of the moisture in the trash. One more use out of otherwise unusable items.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

I agree with Tamaram. We recycle everything. The best stuff goes to the charity shops, the rest to collection points for recycling. It can all be used for something.

Paint both the inside and outside of your new metal garbage can's bottom with asphalt roofing sealer and the container should last ten years or more, instead of the usual one or two.

I keep a roll of trash can liners in the bottom of the can. When I take the full one out to throw it away, the roll in the bottom of the can is right there. No searching or looking elsewhere for the roll.

Need an inexpensive but unique small waste paper basket? Reuse containers from plants or flowers, or go to your local craft store and buy a plant basket.

Velcro a placemat behind your trash can for easy clean up when your kids miss the basket.

I am quite a fanatic about having garbage cans in my house. Truth is, we don't have them. We recycle the plastic grocery bags and hang them on a hook in the kitchen. They fill up quite quickly, but when full, outside they go to the large garbage can.

Large trash cans on wheels are worth every penny when its time to take the cans to the curb.

One might consider putting a small trash can in each room. This would come in handy when trying to tidy up in a hurry. You'd save on steps wasted on having to go to another room to toss something out.

Color code special garbage cans or storage bins in your garage for such things as - sporting goods, toys, backyard fun etc.

Garbage Bag

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about saving money on garbage bags. There are a number of ways to save on these bags and reduce the bulk of your garbage.

On trash night in our neighborhood my mom and myself take the pickup and go around to houses and look at their trash. (We don't dig through it, we look at it.) This is legal from what I hear because once someone has put trash out it is fair game. We have found things from perfectly good toys to play outside, to antique furniture that looks great and has that old look and feel to it. By Casey

I use one trash bag per week since I started recycling. I have cheap dollar store barrels to collect flattened boxes and cardboard, plastic bottles, glass, etc. I put it all into one barrel in my laundry room all week, then separate it on trash day.

When using canned foods and products, if at all possible, cut both ends off the can and smash the can till it's flattened.

A few days ago someone posted a tip to use newspaper as a garbage bag. They said to line garbage with loose newspapers and at the end of the day just crumple papers with the days trash up into your outside garbage can. I like this idea but was wondering if their is a way to make an actual "bag" from the newspaper that would work as well as a normal plastic garbage bag. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tracey from Duluth, MN

Best Answer

You can easily use a grocery bag as a pattern, and then tape it together.

Best Answer

Yes, way back when I was a bride we lined our trash cans with newspapers. Using a brown paper bag as a pattern, you sew the bags together and making the gusset at the bottom.

Extra layers are put into the bottom section. Now, In this 'new fangled' age, styrofoam egg cartons,cereal boxes on side, plastic bag to be disposed of spread across bottom, or old magazine etc. strengths the bottom and prevents leaks coming through.