Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Garbage Tips and Tricks

Keeping your trash contained and reducing odors is important. This page contains garbage tips and tricks.

October 20, 2004 Flag

Ever wonder what to do with all the paper advertisements and leftover grocery ads that you always end up throwing away? Here's something my mother has passed along to me. Fold them up and fit them into the bottom of your garbage cans throughout the house. You may need to fiddle around with it a little bit to make sure it's sitting on the bottom snugly, edges may stick up but that's ok. Then use your leftover grocery bags for trash can bags (as I hope everybody does anyways).

The paper ads on the bottom will soak up any liquids that may drip through your bags. This saves on time and hassle in cleaning your garbage can. Especially handy for the kitchen garbage as raw meat juices or liquids inevitably seep through.

May seem like a no-brainer for some people but thought I'd share anyways!

By pookster

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

My Grandmother Lottie always done this very thing. They owned a beer tavern and she did the cleaning. They received the newspaper daily so she used it. The paper also absorbs odors.

One way I like to use plastic wrap is to tear off a sheet and line the bottom of a wastebasket with it. That way, when it comes time to empty the wastebasket out, clean up is a little easier.

I also use plastic bags from grocery stores, I kept an empty bag in the bottom of the waste basket.

November 22, 2011 Flag

Whenever I open a new bag of trashbags, I just dump them in whether a roll or loose bags into the bottom of the can. When I empty it I always know that there are bags in the bottom of the can. I also don't use the wire closures that come with them. I just roll the top of the bag down and tie it.

Source: Used to work in a pharmacy and that is what we did.

By arsonhorse from Denham Springs, LA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Worked great for me until one of the bags leaked which made a mess of all the other bags at the bottom of the trash can so I quit storing them there.

Third Hand for the Trash Bag

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 3

Insert the edge of your trash bag in an open drawer, then close the drawer. You will then have both hands free for disposing of trash. The drawer acts as a third hand!

Take an 2-3 pound coffee can and line it with your used ziplock bag.

I have started placing my old t-shirts, night shirts, and any other cotton clothing that is no longer fit to wear on top of my dryer to place in the bottom of the kitchen garbage can. My laundry equipment is in the corner of the kitchen so it is convenient.

Paint both the inside and outside of your new metal garbage can's bottom with asphalt roofing sealer and the container should last ten years or more, instead of the usual one or two.

Find storing your rubbish bags messy? I store mine at the bottom of the waste bin. That way, they are right where you need them when you pull the used bag out!

I keep a roll of trash can liners in the bottom of the can. When I take the full one out to throw it away, the roll in the bottom of the can is right there. No searching or looking elsewhere for the roll.

Need an inexpensive but unique small waste paper basket? Reuse containers from plants or flowers, or go to your local craft store and buy a plant basket.

We use small garbage cans in many of our rooms. To cut out the cost of small garbage bags, I use the plastic bags that my groceries come in.

Velcro a placemat behind your trash can for easy clean up when your kids miss the basket.

I am quite a fanatic about having garbage cans in my house. Truth is, we don't have them. We recycle the plastic grocery bags and hang them on a hook in the kitchen. They fill up quite quickly, but when full, outside they go to the large garbage can.

Large trash cans on wheels are worth every penny when its time to take the cans to the curb.

One might consider putting a small trash can in each room. This would come in handy when trying to tidy up in a hurry. You'd save on steps wasted on having to go to another room to toss something out.

Color code special garbage cans or storage bins in your garage for such things as - sporting goods, toys, backyard fun etc.

On trash night in our neighborhood my mom and myself take the pickup and go around to houses and look at their trash. (We don't dig through it, we look at it.) This is legal from what I hear because once someone has put trash out it is fair game. We have found things from perfectly good toys to play outside, to antique furniture that looks great and has that old look and feel to it. By Casey

After unloading groceries, I put the empty bags in the bottom of the wastebaskets all over the house. When I throw one out that is full, an empty one is right where I need it.

I use one trash bag per week since I started recycling. I have cheap dollar store barrels to collect flattened boxes and cardboard, plastic bottles, glass, etc. I put it all into one barrel in my laundry room all week, then separate it on trash day.

When using canned foods and products, if at all possible, cut both ends off the can and smash the can till it's flattened.

August 19, 2007 Flag

A few days ago someone posted a tip to use newspaper as a garbage bag. They said to line garbage with loose newspapers and at the end of the day just crumple papers with the days trash up into your outside garbage can. I like this idea but was wondering if their is a way to make an actual "bag" from the newspaper that would work as well as a normal plastic garbage bag. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tracey from Duluth, MN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can easily use a grocery bag as a pattern, and then tape it together.

Best Answer

Yes, way back when I was a bride we lined our trash cans with newspapers. Using a brown paper bag as a pattern, you sew the bags together and making the gusset at the bottom.

Extra layers are put into the bottom section. Now, In this 'new fangled' age, styrofoam egg cartons,cereal boxes on side, plastic bag to be disposed of spread across bottom, or old magazine etc. strengths the bottom and prevents leaks coming through.

Organizing Garbage and RecyclingApril 25, 2013
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 24, 2017 at 8:10:45 AM on 10.0.1.21 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.