Storing Extra Bags in Bottom of the Trash Bin

Have trash bags handy whenever you need to take a full bag to the curb. This is a guide about storing extra bags in the bottom of the trash bin.

Ever wonder what to do with all the paper advertisements and leftover grocery ads that you always end up throwing away? Here's something my mother has passed along to me. Fold them up and fit them into the bottom of your garbage cans throughout the house. You may need to fiddle around with it a little bit to make sure it's sitting on the bottom snugly, edges may stick up but that's ok. Then use your leftover grocery bags for trash can bags (as I hope everybody does anyways).

The paper ads on the bottom will soak up any liquids that may drip through your bags. This saves on time and hassle in cleaning your garbage can. Especially handy for the kitchen garbage as raw meat juices or liquids inevitably seep through.

May seem like a no-brainer for some people but thought I'd share anyways!

By pookster

Top Comment

Use some of the paper from your shredder.

Whenever I open a new bag of trashbags, I just dump them in whether a roll or loose bags into the bottom of the can. When I empty it I always know that there are bags in the bottom of the can. I also don't use the wire closures that come with them. I just roll the top of the bag down and tie it.

Source: Used to work in a pharmacy and that is what we did.

By G-Ma to 5 from Denham Springs, LA

Find storing your rubbish bags messy? I store mine at the bottom of the waste bin. That way, they are right where you need them when you pull the used bag out!

By Sue from Melbourne, Australia

After unloading groceries, I put the empty bags in the bottom of the wastebaskets all over the house. When I throw one out that is full, an empty one is right where I need it. I do this with the roll of kitchen bags, too. I keep it in the bottom of the kitchen trash can.

By Linda

Here is a time saver tip; keep your extra trash bags at the bottom of the barrel, so when it is full, just remove the bag and reach down for a new one!

By Elizabeth Robinson from Boston, MA

Answers:

Store Extra Bags in Bottom of the Trash Bin

I used to do this in the kitchen but one time the bag got a hole in it and yucky stuff got through. I had to wash a large roll of garbage bags and they were still sticky when I unwound them. So I don't do this anymore. Sometimes I will lay one or two across the top rim so they hang off the back and put the bag over them that way. I do keep the extra bags in the bathrooms this way though. (10/16/2009)

By Christine Biernat

Every time I see this tip posted, I can't help but think how all you guys must have MUCH cleaner garbage and/or trash cans than I do! (10/17/2009)

By Cyinda

Fold about two trash bags and lay in bottom of your trash can. When it is time empty the bag, you have one there to replace right away.

By Phyllis from Edenton, NC

Answers:

I don't stop at two, I put the whole roll of bags in the bottom of the trash can. Each one of my trash cans has a roll in it of the size that fits that can. Even the one in the car! (07/23/2009)

By Cricket

I've done this for years! I learned it from the hotel maids. (07/24/2009)

By Debbie Dzurilla

I also use a couple of extra trash bags to line the already lined barrel. So it means that I have three bags on top of each other already in the wastebasket.
Pull one out and have another already there. (08/18/2009)

By Lorraine

When emptying out your trash bins, put several trash bags in the bottom of the bin. The next time you empty the trash, there is a bag there ready to use.

Source: I learned this from working maintenance in a factory.

By Robin from Gothenburg, Sweden

Answers:

This is such a good idea. I take it a bit further, though, and actually put several bags opened in the container at one time. That way you just lift out the top one and there is another right there and ready to be used. --- I do this with bigger bags for the kitchen and smaller ones for the bath and bedrooms. Saves time and space! (08/06/2008)

By Lee