Making a Duct Tape Trash Bin
Gold Post Medal for All Time! 899 Posts
July 15, 2015
This awesome little trash bin is fun to make and is inexpensive.
- small cardboard box
- duct tape
- plastic grocery bag, optional
- Use scissors to remove the flaps and lid from the box, if necessary. The begin wrapping it with tape, starting at the top edge. If you want to add a contrasting stripe, leave a gap and then keep wrapping with tape. TIP: For best results start and stop each layer of tape on the same side of the box and overlap the edges a little bit.
- The final layer of tape, at the bottom of the box, should overhang about half way (as shown below). Use scissors to snip the tape at the corners, then fold the long sides down.
- Trim the corners off of the shorts sides. Add lengths of tape to cover the bottom of the box. Then fold down the short sides.
- Add one layer of tape to the inside edge of the box. Then add another layer on the outside that overhangs about halfway.
- Snip the tape at the corners and fold down the pieces over the edge of the box.
- Add the contrasting tape to the gap that you left.
- Put a plastic bag into the box and enjoy your new trash bin! TIP: If you find that the can slides around or tips over in the car you can add a few strips of Velcro (hook side only) to the bottom of the box. It will stick to the carpet and stay in place.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.