Garbage Tips and Tricks

Keeping your trash contained and reducing odors is important. This page contains garbage tips and tricks.

I use Dollar Tree bags for trash. I love that I can seal it around the edges with a rubber head band. However, it billows inside and sometimes causes the trash to poke a hole or two in the bag.

So I beat it to the punch. I poke a hole near the top, push out the air around the bag and it works great. Hope that helps!

Do you save those used zip lock bags? I often have several and rinse them out and let them dry. Then take an 2-3 pound coffee can and line it with your used ziplock bag. Use the coffee can lid to keep odors in and fill it until the bag is full, then just pull it out and zip it up and toss. No mess, no fuss and certainly no smell.

By barbnov55

I have started placing my old t-shirts, night shirts, and any other cotton clothing that is no longer fit to wear on top of my dryer to place in the bottom of the kitchen garbage can. My laundry equipment is in the corner of the kitchen so it is convenient. When I change out the bag I just roll up the old shirt or whatever and place it in the bottom. It will soak up some of the moisture in the trash. One more use out of otherwise unusable items.

By Marty Dick from Houston, TX

Paint both the inside and outside of your new metal garbage can's bottom with asphalt roofing sealer and the container should last ten years or more, instead of the usual one or two.

Insert the edge of your trash bag in an open drawer, then close the drawer. You will then have both hands free for disposing of trash. The drawer acts as a third hand!

Third Hand for the Trash Bag

I am quite a fanatic about having garbage cans in my house. Truth is, we don't have them. We recycle the plastic grocery bags and hang them on a hook in the kitchen.

They fill up quite quickly, but when full, outside they go to the large garbage can.

Need an inexpensive but unique small waste paper basket? Reuse containers from plants or flowers, or go to your local craft store and buy a plant basket.

One way I like to use plastic wrap is to tear off a sheet and line the bottom of a wastebasket with it. That way, when it comes time to empty the wastebasket out, clean up is a little easier.

Velcro a placemat behind your trash can for easy clean up when your kids miss the basket.

With regular wear and tear, our trash bin wheels broke and it was getting harder to push out every week. For the City of San Diego, if you need a new trash bin given that it is over 10 years, it will cost you $70 + a $25 delivery fee.

A trash bin with newly repaired wheels.

I keep a roll of trash can liners in the bottom of the can. When I take the full one out to throw it away, the roll in the bottom of the can is right there.

No searching or looking elsewhere for the roll.

Large trash cans on wheels are worth every penny when its time to take the cans to the curb.

One might consider putting a small trash can in each room. This would come in handy when trying to tidy up in a hurry. You'd save on steps wasted on having to go to another room to toss something out.

Color code special garbage cans or storage bins in your garage for such things as - sporting goods, toys, backyard fun etc.

On trash night in our neighborhood my mom and myself take the pickup and go around to houses and look at their trash. (We don't dig through it, we look at it.) This is legal from what I hear because once someone has put trash out it is fair game.

We have found things from perfectly good toys to play outside, to antique furniture that looks great and has that old look and feel to it. By Casey

I use one trash bag per week since I started recycling. I have cheap dollar store barrels to collect flattened boxes and cardboard, plastic bottles, glass, etc. I put it all into one barrel in my laundry room all week, then separate it on trash day.

When using canned foods and products, if at all possible, cut both ends off the can and smash the can till it's flattened.

Have trash bags handy whenever you need to take a full bag to the curb. This is a page about storing extra bags in the bottom of the trash bin>.

Small white metal garbage can with a lid.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Using plastic grocery bags as trash liners can be cost effective but do they work as well? This is a page about grocery bags vs. garbage bags.

Plastic grocery bag

This page is about saving money on garbage bags. There are a number of ways to save on these bags and reduce the bulk of your garbage.

Garbage Bag

Organizing Garbage and RecyclingApril 25, 2013
🐛
😷
😎
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Garbage-Tips-and-Tricks.html