Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

Beautiful But Invasive Flower
Beautiful But Invasive Flower
If you didn't know any better, you'd think this was a beautiful flower you'd like to have in your garden. True, it is very pretty, but beware, VERY invasive. I started out with 1 (1 gallon) plant several years ago and that plant sent out roots all around my water garden. Be sure you "contain" it if you don't want to see it EVERYWHERE. It's the devil to pull up and to control!

By Kathy from Canton, NC

Answers:

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

What kind is it? A Bachelor Button? (06/25/2008)

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

I am sure it is not a bachelor button. Kind of looks like a sea holly but not sure. (06/25/2008)

By Elaine

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

It looks like some sort of wild thistle. Although I am Scottish, and the thistle is the national flower of Scotland. varieties of it are considered noxious weeds in several states. What we see as beautiful flowers are actually natures way of attracting bees to pollinate...so thank you for the warning on this one - it is a pretty flower! (06/25/2008)

By Cathy S

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

This is what I think it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornflower

Also called a Bachelor Button. I have some growing in my yard. They haven't invaded though. It might grow differently in different areas. (06/25/2008)

By ThriftyFun

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

I know it is NOT a cornflower nor bachelor button. Wish I had a start. (06/25/2008)

By LAVAUN.

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

It is called the Mountain Blewett and blooms in PA in mid-late May and then sporadically over the rest of the summer. It will pop up in unlikely places but in Pennsylvania, at least, it is easy to control. (06/25/2008)

By BellaNell

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

'Centaura montana' is the Latin name of the perennial species and it is known by several common names, Mountain Bluet, Perennial Bachelor Buttons, and Perennial Cornflower.
The annual type is bachelor button or cornflower.
I have a plant of the perennial type, planted in a non-irrigated bed, here in Kansas, and it hasn't spread at all. I suspect the level of invasiveness has something to do with climate and/or location within the garden. (06/26/2008)

By shishi

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

To me from what I can tell people in the north call this a lady slipper. Here in the south I have heard them called devil toes. I prefer lady slippers. They can become invasive because of the long seed pods that form on them. They bust open and there are literally thousands of tiny seeds. (06/26/2008)

By MADELINE

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

I place my bet on Cornflower, related to Milk Thistle, which really spreads in fields here in Texas. I'd check with Ed Baker's Natural Garden Tonic book for a solution to spray on it so it will die out. Don't be tempted to use anything that might harm the soil or make it unplantable.

God bless and help you. : ) (06/26/2008)

By Lynda

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

It is a bachelor button! So called because it was like a blue version of the pink carnation in the lapel of the married man. It spreads from seed. Deadhead it and it won't spread. (06/29/2008)

By kimhis

Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower

FYI I posted this picture. You're right, LAVAUN, it's definitely not a Bachelor Button of the annual variety. shishi (26)wins the prize...it is the Centaurea "Montana". Trust me, I know what it is. Perhaps it does multiply by seeds, but I've never given it a chance to try. Mine multiplies by underground "feeder roots". (06/30/2008)

By KCC

Nightshade.
Garden: Beautiful But Invasive Flower
Blue and pinkish purple morning glory blooms.
Getting Rid of Morning Glory
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
Flower Garden
Planting a Flower Garden
🎄
🍂