Yellow Flower Photos

I thought with all the bad winter weather we are having in Minnesota, a nice picture of wild flowers picked from the prairie, this last summer would be nice. They were so pretty this year, I just had to pick some.

By Jan from Springfield, MN

I see these flowers on my way to work and have never seen them anywhere else, other than at this spot. Maybe someone dropped some seeds or the seeds found their way there by blowing in the wind? A friend tried to dig some up and put them in her garden but they didn't come back.

Does anyone know what they are and any suggestions on how to bring them to another location in hopes that they will spread in my yard as well as they do on the roadside? The picture is blurry but they look like some type of sunflower without the seedy middle. Thank you.

Andrea from Turner, ME

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

Hi I cannot tell for sure as the pic is blurry but they look like some my mom gave me. They are tall and have yellow daisy like flowers. My mom said many people used to plant them around their outhouses LOL sorry, no name but the multiply and have rhisomes.
jean in oHIO

By Elaine (Guest Post)

Like you say, the picture is a bit blurry but they could possibly be Melampodium. Check the top picture on this link. davesgarden.com/.../
They are an annual and will not come back again if you live in a cold zone. I have had good luck with these by buying the plant some years and other years (like this one) they did not do well. I can tell you they like the heat and our summer has been very cool.

They look like "Jerusalem Artichokes" to me; they are the ones with the rhizomes; and the rhizomes are edible. You ought to be able to find them; although I had thought that they normally transplant well. You might try again--just be sure you get the rhizome.

By Betty (Guest Post)

They look like the wild flowers in my picture. These are some type of daisies that are abundant in the ditches along our NC country roadsides. They bloom in the Fall and are beautiful. I would also like to know the name of the plants.

It might be a good idea to check with a local agricultural representative or park naturalist or someone, just to make sure these are not some noxious weed. We have some very lovely yellow flowers that grow in our ditches, but they are a terrible weed in the pastures and hay fields. Cows or any other animal will not eat them. They are pereniels and spread by self seeding as well. They do not look like your plant, but you should check what this is before you transplant it into your flowerbed. Also, sometimes things that grow quite nicely in the wild can be terribly invasive in ones flowerbeds. I transplanted wild strawberries into my flowerbed, for a nice little groundcover, and they are taking over. I have to rip them out by the handful.

i agree with the person that said Jerusalem artichokes, or sunchokes. They can be prolific once established, and are indeed edible. Maybe your friend watered them too much as they are drought resistent. For more...

en.wikipedia.org/.../Jerusalem_artichoke

These flowers are called black or brown eyed susans. They are related to the sunflower, and grow abundantly where I live in KS. The sunflower state, btw. :) I have them all over my yard, they enjoy growing at the edge of fields or forests. Our property is bordered with woods, and these are on the property just where the grass stops and the trees begin.

You can try to plant them elsewhere, but as a wildflower, I might check with your extension first to see if they are categorized as a "noxious weed" where you live.

Answer this Question

18 Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

I loved this blossom! While my husband and I were hiking above Sunset Beach here on the Oregon Coast, we came across these unique blossoms. I'd never seen anything like them before in my life.

Yellow Ribbon Blossom Flower With Ferns in the Background

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

I called this one "Beauty's Beginning". I almost named it "Innocence", just because of her young age and beautiful, womanly shape. I am not sure what type of flower this is, but I love the colors and shape.

Large Pink and Yellow Flower Blossom

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

I am not sure of the name of these blossoms, but I loved the way that they resembled the rays of the sun. You can also see a small honey bee approaching this front flower, ready to get busy!

Large Yellow Sunburst Flower

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

While walking the paths leading through the gardens of Shore Acres State Park, this pretty little yellow blossom caught my eye. I loved the way some of the petals curled, I also like the color yellow - it reminds me of sunshine!

Closeup Pastel Yellow Flower Petals

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

Yellow is not my favorite color. It should be. I have it everywhere this spring. It sorta grows on you, I think.

Yellow In My Garden - yellow flowers including pansies

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

I'm not sure what this plant is but there will be an abundance of the yellow flowers to come. Then, just the greenery. It seems to grow no matter what.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

This lovely flower was part of our summer garden in 2012.

Pretty pale yellow flower.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I just love to take pictures. This one turned out great.

Bright yellow flowers with brown centers.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

This beautiful flower, God's creation, was the perfect solution to calm my nerves and help me focus on what is important in life. Someone very precious to me, my daddy, was going through numerous health problems.

Yellow Wildflower

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2
Load More
Photos GardenSeptember 25, 2013
🎄
😷
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Yellow-Flower-Photos.html