Garden Glove Tips and Tricks

Category Helpful Hints
Garden gloves not only help protect your hands while gardening, they can also provide some unexpected benefits. This is a guide about garden gloves tips and tricks.

I coat my hands with Bag Balm before putting on my leather gardening gloves. This helps keep my hands and nails healthy while, at the same time, keeps my gloves supple. As anyone who has ever used them knows, once they are damp, they tend to dry stiff, making it difficult to put them on.

Great idea! My hands always got so dried out with the dust coming through the cloth gloves....so would work for them too.

We have been wearing rubber gloves under our winter and even gardening gloves this year. Hands stay dry, warmer, and cleaner!

It has prevented our fingers from splitting (a painful condition that no amount of lotion seems to help!) and keeps fingers warmer in the cold by holding in your body heat and keeps nails cleaner (when gardening.)

It came in handy when we got 30" of snow this week too!

Use your gardening time to give your hands the spa treatment. Before you put on your gardening gloves, coat your hands with a thick coating of moisturizer. Rake your nails across a bar of glycerine soap to put the soap beneath your nails, and rub olive oil into the nails themselves. While you are gardening, your hands will be moisturized. When you finish, use a nail brush to remove the soap and wash your hands.

By Chris

This sounds like something good to try but what type of gloves do you use?

I cannot imagine using the same gloves over and over but maybe I am not looking at this tip correctly.

Maybe try some thin gloves inside your garden gloves?

I often pass by my garden, and have found that I consistently pull little weeds out from the soil. Then I have to spend a few minutes trying to get the dirt out from under my fingernails. Now I leave an extra old pair of gardening gloves outside, right by the garden.

By Kat M.

My six year old son was bitten on the back side of his upper thigh by a brown recluse, we thought at first it was a fire ant, my son brought it to our attention the second day and we were not sure yet what exactly bit him, by day three it looked alot worse and his leg had swollen to twice the size, we took him to his doctor where he confirmed the bite, put my son on antibiotics and sent us home, two days later it was much worse and besides the incredible swelling, there was a mass of some sort inside of his leg and the bite area had opened up, i squeezed on his leg and some pus and black fluid came out but not alot, we took him back to the doctor who put him on stronger antibiotics and did not seem alarmed, that is when I took matters into my own hands, I bought some large gauze pads and a tube of drawing salve and started putting the gauze pad wiith a good amount of the drawing salve on his bitten leg twice a day, morning and night, each time I took the pad off to change it, there would be pus and blackened fluid I thought to be blood, then three days after I started this treatment method, I had just changed his dressing in the morning and no more than an hour later, I heard my son screaming from the living room, I ran from my bedroom to where he was at and at the bite site it had ruptured and black fluid and pus was literally shooting from the bite site on his leg at least six inches high, I slapped my hand over the stream of fluid and actually could feel it hitting my hand there was so much pressure coming from the wound, about 20 to 30 seconds later the stream slowed and I actually witnessed his leg shrink right before my eyes, when the last bit of dark fluid came out, I gave it one good squeeze and rich red blood came from the opening, three days later his leg was healed and the wound had covered with a slight melting skin look about it

Before I start working in my garden, I put a thick coat of lotion on my hands then I put on my cotton garden gloves. When I finish in the garden, I pull off the gloves and have very soft hands.

Close up of clasped hands with dirt imbedded under the fingernails

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about preventing dirt from getting under your fingernails. Even if you wear gardening gloves, dirt often gets under your nails as you work.

Want to keep your hands warm while working outside during these cold winter months?

Gardening, even with gloves on, can dry out your hands. Apply petroleum jelly or hand lotion to your hands before putting on your gardening gloves and your hands will be soft and smooth after a day of gardening.

Buying Gardening Gloves

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about buying gardening gloves. Using the best gloves for the job, protect you hands when gardening.