Garden Uses for Banana Peels

Besides being a good addition to the compost pile, these peelings can be an excellent fertilizer for some plants. This guide is about garden uses for banana peels.

My grandmother always had the most beautiful gardens I had ever seen. Peonies, roses, clematis, you name it she had it; but she never used man made fertilizer. I spent a month with her during a summer vacation. One day after breakfast, she was cutting up banana peels into small pieces and crushing egg shells into tiny pieces. She then mixed the banana peels and egg shells together. She told me to go put them in the garden and mix them into the dirt. This was all she used as her natural fertilizer for the flowers. I now use them in my gardens and, wow, what a difference. You have to try this. Enjoy the beautiful blooms.

By SPTRAVIS from Halifax, Nova Scotia

My grandma always had the most beautiful roses, and I believe it was because she fertilized with used coffee grounds and banana peels! I saved banana peels and egg shells in a freezer bag over winter, and then put in the bottom of each hole before I planted my tomatoes. What a difference! Guess they love the calcium and magnesium!

Banana Peel Tooth Whitener - woman rubbing the inside of a banana peel on her teeth

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Banana peels have so many uses, but did you know you could use the inside of the peel to whiten your teeth? This is a guide about using banana peel to whiten teeth.

After reading about banana peels helping roses, I wonder what effect they would have on houseplants - would they have an adverse reaction to the plant? Thanking in advance for any help.

Maggie

I pureed a banana peel in 4 cups water and put a bit on several different houseplants. So far, I've had no adverse affects. I did use an organic peel so I can't comment on one that has the fungicides and mold-retardants on it.

Rene

I heard that it adds potassium to the leaves when you use it to clean the leaves, I am not sure if this true

Banana trees in the wild digest the rotted fruit and the potassium helps the trees produce more fruit. If you have a potted banana tree in your home, it is a good idea to feed it in this way every once in a while. I don't know if this applies to all house plants but potassium is contained in plant food.

banana peels can also polish your green indoor plants,the inside of the peel.Living in FL.we put the peels outside on Staghorns.

I leave them whole, and just bury them about 6" or so away from the base, an inch or so under the soil line. I've even buried whole bananas that did not get eaten in time.

Banana peels can be used to shine shoes,dash boards or anything else that requires lanolin.

I tried to use banana peels chopped up inside of the house for house plants and got fruit flies all over the house. I use them outside in the garden and they are wonderful for the plants and compost.

I use banana peels to feed my vermicomposter. The worms love it. Someone mentioned they got fruitflies using the peels in the house. I freeze mine first for at least 72 hours. This kills the eggs on the peel. I freeze everything for my worms. It just breaks down faster.

I am getting ready to plant a climbing rose bush. Will banana peels help if I put them under my rose bush before I plant it?

By LeLonnie from Kalispell, MT

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hi LeLonnie, I don't know about prior to planting but yes, yes, yes on the banana peels for roses. They are high in nutrients and roses love them. Just pull back some dirt around them, drop a peel or two and put dirt back over. Your neighbors will be asking how you grow such beautiful roses! You can puree them into a liquid form also. Makes great plant food for indoor plants too. In the winter time, you can freeze them until needed. Happy growing to Ya'