Getting Dogs to Stop Marking Territory

Does anyone know how to stop a male dog from lifting his leg and claiming territory. I am having a big problem with this. Any helpful hints will be great.

By Sharon from East Hampton, NY

Answers:

Getting Dogs to Stop Marking Territory

Pet stores sell incontinent diapers for dogs as well as buying them on the internet. You might be able to find them on sale. Or you can take a towel that will wrap around the dog's body, and fold it a few times and pin together. Change it frequently during the day. (01/07/2011)

By Lorelei

Getting Dogs to Stop Marking Territory

It's possible that I'm missing something here, I've been wrong before :-), (It's a joke! I'm trying to be light hearted, here!) None the less, I've never heard of dogs marking territory and incontinence as the same thing.

I'm just not getting "Lorelei's" suggestion of diapering a dog that marks territory, they are two completely different behavioral/health issues, each requiring a different solution. Of course an older dog may be dealing with incontinence, but marking territory is not limited to older dogs: They will start doing so, indoors, in those puppy days, if not trained otherwise. If they start developing the habit in adulthood, something else is going on and a vet consult is needed.

I'd like to add my two cents worth here if I could understand the context, but diapering a dog for "marking" seems unnatural and down right icky. Wouldn't pet and person both be happier if the dog was trained to only "mark" outside if incontinence were not an issue? Seriously, even neutered dogs still "mark" but the well trained dogs only do it outdoors. Again, what am I missing in this conversation?

I'm seriously not trying to stir up anything, but I really don't get it. Additional information would be helpful as I would like to understand. Thanks in advance for any positive input.

(01/08/2011)

By KansasCindy

Getting Dogs to Stop Marking Territory
Spraying cat
Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying Inside
A pug sitting on the floor in the kitchen.
Dog Marking Territory in the House
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School
🎉
🎄