Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

0 0EmailFollow
A girl with blonde hair.

Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

Here are questions related to Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing.

Question: Getting Hair Back to Natural Color

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Best Answers

By Kat [7]03/02/2014

Sorry to tell you, but there's no such solution. The best you can do is go to a salon and have them use color remover on your black ends, then have them color all your hair to a slightly lighter version of the color it was before it turned white.

The reason I say get a lighter version is that black haircolor and very dark haircolor has a tendency to highlight shadows and wrinkles. This was something I learned in cosmetology school, but didn't believe until I saw a few photos of the teachers: One of them used to color her hair very dark, then the next year she had changed over to a blonde or pale brown color, and looked about 15 years younger.

On the other hand, if you are speaking of those liquids you use frequently on your hair that are supposed to gradually change your haircolor back, that's not exactly what they do-they deposit a coating of metal salts on your hair shaft, which oxidize and turn dark; over time it builds up and makes the hair appear darker.

The problem with that is, if you decide to go back to actual haircolor, the metal salts will react with the haircolor, and you could end up with very strange hair color-green, or purple, or an unnatural reddish color. That's the reason you aren't supposed to use anything metal when you mix haircolor, because of that reaction. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Best Answers

By weinerdog41 [33]03/02/2014

There is no way you can get your hair back to it's natural color. As we age the hair looses it pigment. I don't like my grey hair either so I color it.

Question: How Do I Get My Hair Color Back to Its Natural Color?

I have very pretty silver hair, but dye it jet black and wear it short. I want to go silver all the way! What's the best way?

By Ann

Most Recent Answer

By dinairene08/03/2011

So my hair was a great natural dirty blonde, with natural highlights. And I stupidly went to dye it lighter, the first time I've ever dyed it it turned orange, so then I went to dye it a dark brown to get rid of the orange and for awhile it was brown but from all the sun my roots turned orange.

So I went to the hairdresser the other day and asked for a dark blonde expecting it to be at least close to my natural colour. Totally wasn't! It turned orange again. I spent $100 dollars and all I get is a shitty colour, so now I have to go to the hairdresser again and dye it a light brown

My hair is a medium length abit longer then my shoulder. How long do you think it'll take for my natural hair to grow back, i totally regret dying my hair.. but we all make mistakes

Please answer back I need loads of help right now! And good opinions.

Question: Returning to Natural Hair Color

I dyed my hair medium brown in November of 2014 and my hair is naturally really blonde. Should I dye my hair my natural color or let it grow out?

By Jazz

Most Recent Answer

By Wanda 02/20/2015

I would have a salon color it as close to original color as can be while you are waiting for the real color to come back in. Easy fix really.

Question: Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

I have dirty blonde hair/ash brown hair. I'm not really sure what to call it. Anyway I have about an inch and a half of my roots grown out and the rest is a very pale blonde. I'm wanting to get a hair dye close to my color and than just let it grow out. But I'm not sure if I should dye it all or just the blond parts and leave the roots. If I dye it all will they be two different colors? Please help!

By Cheryl

Most Recent Answer

By hopeful [26]01/29/2015

If the blonde hair is porous it will not come out well at all if you put a tint (dye) to match the roots. When I worked as a hairdresser, (now retired) we would use a "filler" to fill the open scales on the hair shaft before we used the tint to color it back. Anyway you look at it, there will be a lot of damage to the blonde hair.

I suggest you at least talk to a hairdresser before you do anything. This can be really a really tricky prodeedure, and in our shop there was only 2 of us out of 10 that knew how to do it, and even then it was scary.

On the other hand, if the blonde hair hasn't been damaged, it could be a pretty easy fix. Most bleached out hair is very damaged though.

Question: Getting Rid of Bright Red Highlights

I have naturally dark brown/black hair. I bleached it and put bright red highlights in it and it looks terrible. I tried a dark brown dye and it made the red less bright, but all together it's still there! What now? Should I keep dyeing it or is bleach the only way out?

By Brittany

Most Recent Answer

By Marg [16]01/05/2015

Over-treated hair can get brittle and can break off. As Dinah said, please see someone qualified before you do anything else. They can rescue it for you.

So I have naturally medium brown/ashy-ish hair color. Over the years I've highlighted it and added more and more highlights to where most of my hair is light blonde, but all different shades. I'm tired of bleaching and maintaining it. I'm wanting to go to a color that will blend well with my natural hair color. I like colors with red/eggplant tones. But I'm open to anything you think would look best. I have relatively tan skin and brown eyes.

By Jesse V.

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]03/06/2015

If your hair is already damaged and different shades from frequent home box colors, it will be very difficult to approximate a return to your natural color on your own. You should consider seeing a hair stylist for a professional color recommendation and treatment. At this point, you can't expect immediate perfection when starting with damaged hair so a stylist may be able to help in stages and over time.

I have cut my hair because of a previous ombre disaster and I have sprayed a little lightner/peroxide, just a bit, all over my hair. But, ever since I can't get rid of the brassy colors. I dyed it 3 times with medium brown and my natural color is a brownish/blonde color. I really want to know how I can get my natural back or what I should do? Should I go to a salon or what?

By Marry D

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]03/02/2015

A hair stylist will be able to determine the best method to improve your hair problem. Sometimes, the best plan is to just let your natural hair grow out.

Question: Getting Hair Color Back to Natural

Years ago I had a lovely light brown colour, but got so bored of it and went black. In one year I think I dyed it about 3-4 times. It's been a good year and a bit since I put black in my hair and no matter how much my hair has grown it has stayed dark. I'm upset my natural colours not coming back out, but I want to go for a chocolate brunette. I've been given advice to put in a lighter brown than I want for it to go to a normal brown and then been told to put in the exact colour I want and it will appear. I don't know what to do should I go for a lighter or the exact colour?

By Ayesha A from East London

Most Recent Answer

By Captgray200002/05/2015

A hairdresser recommended Color Oops hair color remover to me because my hair is too dark. I haven't used it yet but the directions say you can re-color the same day after it gently removes permanent and semi-permanent hair color in 20 minutes. I bought it at Rite-Aid.

mother and sonMy hair is naturally a dirty blonde. I have been dying my hair for the last two years brown/black, and it comes out almost jet black. My roots are grown out about two inches now and I'm wanting to get my hair back to my natural color, without having to bleach it.

Would I dye my hair one last time (not my roots) to a brown and use highlights close to my color until I get all the black out? Or would the black just overcome the color still?

By Amanda

Most Recent Answer

By Keila03/08/2015

Never ever dye, dyed black hair with a light colour. It will turn out to a brassy, orangy colour no matter what hair type you are, what your natural hair colour is. It all comes down to the fact that you have dyed your hair to a really dark colour, It may not show up right away once you've dyed it, say with a light ash blonde, light brown. But the colour will start to show 3 days after you've dyed it due to the sun lightening your hair and just the chemicals in the dye it self reacting in your hair.

My natural hair colour is black, dyed it alot of times, from black to red to brown to mahogany and then one day I thought if I were to dye my hair blonde with a blonde dye (not bleach) first then dye it brown, the brown will turn out lighter. And well of course, I did it, dyed it blonde first and guess what, it turned to a blonde orangy and brassy at the roots of my hair (my hair also felt incredibly dry and just not healthy).

So I was so scared, I freaked out, the day after I used the brown dye thinkin it would cover up all the orangy blonde brassy tone in my hair, but it didn't. It actually made my hair worst; it made it more orangy. So the day after that I bought 2 more dyes. 'Dark brown' Got my friend to do my hair, and it didn't work once again. My hair turned out to be like a dark orange colour, still brassy, just an ugly colour. & so I decided to dye it black and so I did, it was a relief. Brassyness, orangyness all gone.

Then I heard about this colour remover, So I tried it thinking if I were to use it, it will literally just remove all the dyes I've used for the past few years including the recent ones and that it will bring back my natural black hair colour. But what happened was, it took the black dye away, and left me with the brassy orangy blonde hair colour again, just the one I had right before the black dye.

So it just took off one layer of dye, the hair remover cost me £20, it smelt absolutley horrible, smelt like rotten egg, my hair smelt for days, shampoo nor conditioner couldnt take the smell off and also made my hair very dry, sticky and just dead. And so I had to re-dye it back to black again and I just left it like that ever since.

So I recommend you, if your natural hair colour is not black, just literally grow it out. Don't do anything at all. That 'growing it out' doesn't work for me because my natural hair colour is black. I can't tell if it's my natural hair colour or still the dyed black hair, so I don't know when to start dyeing again. & If you're really like, won't listen or just eager to change your hair to a lighter shade. Always try dyeing it with small amount of hair to see how it turns out.

Question: Going Back to Natural Hair Color

I dyed the front part of my hair a dark purple-blacky colour and I don't like it at all. I want to go back to my normal auburn hair color. How do I do this? If I dye my hair, what colour will it go with a red hair dye?

By Lottie from Britain

Most Recent Answer

By SharDae FukkThots C.01/07/2015

I'm kind of having the same problem except I'm red. Was wondering what purple would do.

I have dyed my hair a lot and I've dyed my hair black about 4 months ago. My roots were starting to grow out. (Keep in mind my natural hair is a medium brown.) I just got Colorfix to get the black out my hair, but now it is an orangish color. I want to dye my hair my natural color but I don't know what color dye I should get. My hair is naturally medium brown, but with this orangish color if I get a box of medium brown dye will it turn out too dark or should I get a light brown dye?

By Steph

Most Recent Answer

By Kristen R.01/18/2015

Get a medium brown hair dye, but if your going to dye your color back natural. You'll want to go to your local beauty supply store mine is Sally's Beauty Supply get a protein filler you should need #2 warm brown. It needs the reds and brown tones in order to take the dye. I do this when I strip the hair color out to change.

Question: Getting my Dark Hair Colour Back

My hair is naturally dark brown. I used 'Sun In' to lighten my hair. My hair colour is now currently light brown. Is there a way to remove the hair dye, or would I have to re-dye it? If so what brand would you recommend?

By Sab

Most Recent Answer

By Kay N.12/08/2014

Sun-In is not really a dye. You will either wait until your hair grows itself out or use a real dye on your hair. I use Sun-In to lighten my hair and just let it grow back out.

Right now I've been trying to grow my hair out long and natural, but I have dyed my hair a lot of times in the past. Once I dyed it red, so it still gets the little red tint sometimes. My natural hair color is dirty blonde, and right now it's blonde with a bit of brown, but it still don't look like my natural hair color, what can I do? I'm really impatient on waiting for my hair to grow out.

By Amanda L

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]10/27/2014

The only way to get your hair back to its natural colour is to wait for it to grow out. You could colour it to a shade that is close to your natural colour, and then it wouldn't be so noticeable.

I am naturally brown. I recently got blonde highlights in my hair. I got sick of the highlights in my hair and went dark brown. I used a semi-permanent hair dye. A year and 6 months have passed and I don't know if my hair has returned back to natural. In certain lighting it's looking as though I have caramel highlights in my hair! Is that my natural hair coming through or is it my blonde highlights? Help!

By Kate

Most Recent Answer

By Cathy04/19/2014

Those are your highlights showing through. Although the darker brown dye is permanent, it will slowly wear away, and those bright places that were your highlights will appear as caramel places. This happens to me also. Your natural color will only appear at the roots as your hair grows.

I dyed my hair blonde yesterday night and it went ginger so I went and got some black/brown hair dye and put it on. It's black/brown now, but I want my natural colour back. I'm afraid if I keep washing the blonde will return. I had natural brown hair by the way. So what should I do?

By Keely

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J [46]11/15/2013

Using your regular shampoo, do daily washings. Do not use anything harsh. Most self given hair dyes have a short life span. I am a swimmer and 3 weeks is all I get from my OTC less than $8 boxes. I have found a few about $10-15 that will give me 60 days....
Do not keep mixing more hair dye until the problem resolves itself....the hair is going to rebel from the chemicals and you would hate to deal with a permanent serious issue.
If you can afford a short hair cut, that is one way to really change the color faster. I always do my hair color before getting a hair cut.

Question: Lightening Hair Dyed Black

In November 2014 I dyed my hair dark brown/black. Before that I had dirty blonde hair with some highlights. After I dyed it I liked it dark for a while, but now I miss my blonde hair.

I will be going to a hair place to fix my mess, but I don't even know where to begin, or if my hair person will. I look terrible with light brown hair so I don't want to dye it close to my original color. Is there any way to get it back to my original color in one day by dyeing it blonde, or would I have to bleach my hair? My hair is long so it would take forever to grow out. What are your thoughts on what I have to do?

By Mallory

Question: Getting Hair Back to Natural Color After Coloring

I have naturally dirty blonde/light brown hair. I dyed my hair a dark brown recently and I absolutely hate it. I want my hair back to my old color. So do I just buy the stuff and dye it back to my light brown or bleach it first?

By Kelsey

I was meant to get a few highlights on my hair about two weeks ago, but unfortunately there are too many of them. I tried to get used to them, but I want my dark hair colour back. I have curly hair and it was very dark, so pretty much black hair. My highlights aren't blonde blonde, it's more of a dark blonde. How can I go back to black hair without damaging too much my curls or turning it into a weird colour?

Thank you!

By Eli M

I bleached my hair to get to a blonde. I want to go back to my dark brown/black color. Would I be able to go dark again with just a drugstore dye like L'oreal Ultimate Natural Black? I don't want to damage my hair more than it is already because it has been bleached. What would be my best choice here?

By Joanna R from Houston

I am a natural redhead. I dyed my hair chocolate brown but it came out dark brown, almost black. I managed to get it to fade a little bit, but not much. My red hair and old highlights are slowly coming through. My question is what should I do to speed up the process? I am trying to grow my hair long for my formal next year.

My hair is just past my shoulders. I went to a hairdresser a while a go for a cut, but she butchered my hair. She made one side shorter than the other, and butchered some parts of the back of my hair. The thickness camouflages it unless you look really close. So just wondering, should I let all these problems grow out or go to hairdresser?

By Alicia H.

Solutions: Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!