Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Category Coloring
Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

I dyed my hair a dark brown and it turned out dark brown with a bit of ginger. So I tried to dye it again to get rid of the ginger and it just turned darker so I when to get some highlights put in to lighten it. The highlights turned ginger, but did lighten my hair to a light ginger. It's not what I wanted. How can I get my natural light brown hair back?

I don't agree. Henna falls somewhere between a semi-permanent and a permanent color. Natural henna does not penetrate the hair shaft as do most 'regular' colors. Instead, it coats the hair shaft, making further treatments such as coloring or permanent waving very difficult. I've never advised using natural henna, and certainly not in this case.

I recently got my hair dyed. I was trying to go light brown from my natural colour of dark brown. I would like to get it back to my natural colour without dyeing it again. How could I do this? Thanks x

Permanent color won't wash out. Semi permanent will wash out eventually. If you used permanent color you will have to dye again.

My natural hair color is a dark blond/light brown color. I recently dyed it a light blond and I think it looked way better with my natural color. How do I get it back?

If you use a strong medicated shampoo, such as Head and Shoulders, it will make the color fade out. This will take a while but it will be quicker than growing it out. This works best on boxed dyed hair.

My hair was blonde and I dyed it a brownish purple. Will my hair every go back blonde?

Good advice!

Please please help. I need a quick fix. I had permanent purple hair and I used colour b4 to strip it out and it went back to my natural hair colour being ginger, but my roots went blonde. So I put semi permanent pine green hair dye on top. I has mostly taken, but some of it has gone brown. Is there anyway to fix it without bleaching it all out and starting again?

Please please help.

Hi there! I colour my hair all the time. I suggest spot colouring using a used toothbrush to just dab the parts that have gone brown because the bristles are sturdy and the dye won't spread to unnecessary parts. Don't redo your whole head as it will damage it. Here is a photo of me doing just that today. You can see where it has depleted and I am touching it up with the blue dye.

Curiosity kills me as always. I'm curious about my hair. When I dyed it at first, it had a bleach. So, it was more of a light-brown color. Then the second time I dyed my hair, my hair color was like gold, brown, yellowish. Just like that. Our school doesn't allow my hair color, so I turned it into light-brown.

Now, I want to return back to my original hair color which was dark brown. So, please, answer me. Just give me advice or home remedies. So, I can return it back.

Kamsahamnida!

I think you should use either semi-permanent die if you ever want to go back to your natural colour. I am a red head and I like my hair but tonight I am dying it for the first time and I am terrified if it won't go back to its normal colour. I am using semi permanent die so it should come out. If I don't like it does anyone have any tips on how to get it back to my natural hair shade?

How long does it take for hair dye to come all the way out and for your natural hair color to come back in completely throughout your hair?

it took me six years for my hair to grow back to shoulder-length from the time I got a crew cut. That's about how long it would take for the new, non-tainted hair to grow out.

I dyed my hair blonde in September of 2016. My natural hair is light/dark black. Because my hair was dark, the color didn't come out to be too bright, but more of a honey brown and I was more than okay with it. That was my first time ever changing the color of my hair and I have not retouched my roots. Now almost 7 months since changing to honey brown, I've decided I want to go back to a color similar to my natural hair. I don't know if I should just go to regular black and allow the color to fade after washing a couple times, or just do a dark brown?

As your hair has already been subjected to chemical treatments, any of the darker shades will more than likely go darker than the color shown on the box. It is good that you are taking this into consideration.

A good permanent color should not fade appreciably after just a few shampoos. I think a darkest ash brown might be your best bet, as your original black is not a warm color.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could take the guesswork out of your hair coloring? I mean like, know in advance what the results will be before you apply the color over your entire head?

Well you can!! Do a strand test from scalp to ends. Then you will know whether to go lighter or darker, or use the same color you used for the strand test. This test is so simple, most people overlook it or don't want to be bothered, and then spend months regretting they didn't do it. Such a shame.

(Are you readers paying attention??? In my early years as a hair burner, I made the mistake of using a certain chemical on my sister's hair. Within two minutes her hair turned to the texture of ABC chewing gum (ABC=already been chewed). I rushed her to the shampoo bowl and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. Actually, I rinsed most of her hair right off her head.

She was kind about the whole matter and graciously accepted the money I gave her to buy a wig. She wore that wig for months. A simple strand test would have saved her hair and prevented a big hole in my wallet, not to mention my feeling like an imbecile for quite a while).

I learned my lesson. When in doubt, DO A STRAND TEST, FIRST!!

My natural hair color is a dark ash blonde. I got bored of my hair color and wanted to dye it so I dyed it a dark chocolate brown. I used a product by Natural Instincts. When I washed my hair and let it dry naturally my hair turned black at the top and a really dark brown black color at the bottom. I went to my cousin so she could strip some of it out and it was still too dark, so then she gave me this color eraser. I used that and my hair turned orange.

I went back to her the next day and she dyed it brown again so then I left my hair alone for a while. Then I dyed my twin sister's hair a color close to mine to match because we like to match with everything most of the time. The color of the dye turned her hair a light warm mahogany brown red color, so I used some coconut oil and vinegar to strip some of the red out and got some of the really red color out, but it left it a copper color. So she and I go buy some Color Oops and it turned her hair orange and it smelled bad. She was stuck with the smell in her hair for the longest time. It eventually faded out after doing it so many times. Then we used the Color Oops on my hair and my hair matched the color of leaves in the fall and it matched my family's log home and the porch. So we did it a second time. My hair got even brighter so then she and I go to this place called Borricks and they toned her hair out and mine out. She had hers toned once and I had mine toned twice. It sucked and our hair was still orange. So we went this salon and asked them if they could fix our hair color so it could get back to its original color and they ended up dyeing it brown again! And I'm still stuck with that same color and my sister's hair is a shade or two darker than mine. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point and just want my natural color back. It really saddens her and I. Can some one please help and give some really good advice?

As a former hairdresser, I strongly advise you to stop doing anything at this time! I'm very surprised that your hair hasn't broken off given all that you have done to it. Simply wait and let it grow out, the get a good cut to remove the old color. The professionals did the best they could to get you out of the red/orange. Be patient! I can say this to you because I have done all kinds of chemical things to my own hair over the years, once having it break off at the scalp! YIKES! I KNOW you don't want that to happen! Good Luck!

I dyed my hair black and it is growing out and I am wanting to know if there is a way that I can dye my hair a lighter color and not get orange. The color I used was a mix of the darkest black and the darkest blue mixed together. I am naturally a dirty blonde and would like to get back to that or even lighter is fine. Any ideas on the best way to go about changing from black to another color without getting an orange or red color?

To lighten hair more than two shades you need a 2-step process. The first step lifts the existing color out and the second step deposits the desired color on. This is not an easy task, and is best left to a professional.

I had black hair last week. My natural hair color is white. I have used Nirvel Color Out like 15 times and my hair within a week has become orange and my roots are platinum blonde.
I have tried to use a lighter hair dye to dye my hair and camouflage the orange like Igoria Royal E-0 with a 9% vol and the color is getting darker like a chocolate brown! I have also tried to lighten it with a bleaching powder and 9%. I let it sit on my hair for about 20-30 minutes and it got darker too. I'm desperate, I don't know what to do to lighten my hair from orange to blond. Maybe lift it 2-3 tones so they match my roots better. The color I want to end up is light grey to match my natural white roots better. Please help!

thank you for your ideas Shirley!

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Best Answer

There is no way you can get your hair back to it's natural color. As we age the hair looses it pigment. I don't like my grey hair either so I color it.

I got my hair dyed grey awhile back and now I am wanting to get it back to my natural colour which is a mid brown. I want to know if it is possible? I really want my natural hair back without having to go back and forth to a hair salon.

In order for mid brown to be colored grey, it would first have to be pre bleached to the pale yellow stage. I will assume that's what happened in your case. The silver shades with their blue base and the platinum shades with their purple base (sometimes called 'grey'), would not even show up on mid brown hair without pre bleaching.

This pre bleaching leaves the hair in a very porous state. It can 'grab' color easily when re coloring, and often go darker than the person wanted. Conversely, often this very porous hair will not hold the re coloring agent very well, and a filler may be required prior to the re coloring.

What you ask is possible. My advice to you is to leave this procedure to a professional. If done properly, I see no reason why you should need to go back to the salon after the initial treatment.

My natural colour is auburn red. I have been getting bleached blonde highlights for years, but really want my natural colour back. Any advice on how to do this?

By Sam

Best Answer

I would have a salon put my original color highlights in the hair and then get a cut into a cute short style that is most becoming to start working back to it's natural color. That way you get rid of damaged hair and it will get back to it's original color quicker shorter... Good Luck!

So about four weeks ago, my aunt bleached my hair and we dyed it gray a day later (to the ends). It faded out in like 2 weeks even though it was supposed to be permanent hair dye. Now after 2 more weeks of having a weird bleach line going through my hair, I've decided I want to go to my color before I started this whole process. I still have highlights from before I started the gray process.

So, can I dye the ends of my hair back to my original dark brown, then have highlights put in? I want to keep highlights because I want my hair to be as natural looking as possible, but my original dark brown color sounds really intimidating. Help!

I would consult a salon who has color analysis person employed at their shop and let them look at your hair and determine how to get it to the color that you desire

For the past year and a half, I have been dyeing my hair. The color ranges from light brown, to blonde, to an orange brassy color when it starts to fade. She has bleached my hair in order to do the balayage thing. I never maintained my hair and therefore, I would find myself coming back to get toner within 1-2 months. I hated this.

I went to the salon to fix it this Sunday and I told her I wanted to go back to my natural hair color. I then get out of the chair to realize I have jet black hair. Does this mean I will have natural hair within a month of two? Will this jet black color fade?

My natural hair color is a dark brown, not black. I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black, but I'm not sure. Can someone help explain this?

No, it does not mean you will have natural hair in a month or two.

All hair color products fade to varying degrees. Now that they no longer contain paraphenylenediamine, they fade more than they did in the past. I'm assuming the jet black color applied to your hair was a permanent color. This color may fade only slightly, but due to the different degrees of porosity in your hair, (that being some bleached, some not), the color will not fade evenly.

" I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black". That statement is untrue and utter nonsense.

There are situations where a client has his/her hair colored and is displeased with the results, and with corrective coloring had their hair returned to a color very similar to the original color. This type color correction is successful usually when the client has had a single color treatment.

With you having had several different color treatments, there is no known corrective color treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color, or anywhere close.

A very skilled color technician might be able to lift (remove) just enough of the jet black color so that the resulting color is closer to a dark brown. This is possible, however, the type product used and the length of time the product should stay on the hair is critical. If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first. I repeat, If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first.

The above method may bring your hair to a color you can 'live with' while your natural color grows out, but in all honesty, there is no chemical treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color. Like it or not, the only way you will get your natural color back is to grow it.

I recently got my hair colored, like some 5 days ago and I totally hate it. I asked for some caramel streaks, but she gave me some shitty brown streaks. They are not even streaks, she just colored my entire bottom part of the hair. It looks pathetic and I really wanna get rid of it. I have jet black hair naturally so I was wondering, can I color my hair black to get my natural looking hair back? I am also very scared since I don't want anything else to go wrong. I've also heard re-dyeing will leave your hair green.
Please suggest some advice.
Thank you so much.

Call the shop and ask for the name of the owner/manager. Ask to speak to him/her and explain the problem. Ask for a redo (not by the same beautician) or a refund. BE NICE. I know you're angry but being nasty will not help you get what you want. If you get nowhere and decide to do it yourself, try Nice'n Easy. Choose a color that is the same as your natural color. It will cover the lighter streaks. You may have to do it for 2 or 3 months until it has all grown out and been trimmed. The more often you wash your hair, the more often you will have to color. My color lasts 4-6 weeks.

after highlights

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

How long should I wait to dye my hair back to my natural dark brown? Basically what happened was 2 days ago my friend's mom who does cosmetology bleached dome strips in my hair so I could have highlights. My hair is naturally dark brown and I wanted caramel or like a bronze highlight in my hair.

Load More