Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Category Coloring
Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Best Answer

Sorry to tell you, but there's no such solution. The best you can do is go to a salon and have them use color remover on your black ends, then have them color all your hair to a slightly lighter version of the color it was before it turned white.

The reason I say get a lighter version is that black haircolor and very dark haircolor has a tendency to highlight shadows and wrinkles. This was something I learned in cosmetology school, but didn't believe until I saw a few photos of the teachers: One of them used to color her hair very dark, then the next year she had changed over to a blonde or pale brown color, and looked about 15 years younger.

On the other hand, if you are speaking of those liquids you use frequently on your hair that are supposed to gradually change your haircolor back, that's not exactly what they do-they deposit a coating of metal salts on your hair shaft, which oxidize and turn dark; over time it builds up and makes the hair appear darker.

The problem with that is, if you decide to go back to actual haircolor, the metal salts will react with the haircolor, and you could end up with very strange hair color-green, or purple, or an unnatural reddish color. That's the reason you aren't supposed to use anything metal when you mix haircolor, because of that reaction. Good luck with whatever you decide!

I dyed my hair a dark brown and it turned out dark brown with a bit of ginger. So I tried to dye it again to get rid of the ginger and it just turned darker so I when to get some highlights put in to lighten it. The highlights turned ginger, but did lighten my hair to a light ginger. It's not what I wanted. How can I get my natural light brown hair back?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Smart answer.

I have turned down the chance to make some big bucks because I knew certain things just can't be done. Unhappy with that, the customer goes elsewhere and lets someone else further ruin their hair.

gclark2 may, by consulting a professional colorist, get her hair to a color she can live with while her hair grows out. She will not, neither at home nor by a professional colorist, get her hair back to her natural light brown.

So basically I wanted to dye the tips of my hair blue. I used a wash out blue dye, but before that I used L'oreal Colo Rista Blond Platine to lighten the tips so I could get the blue to show more. The blue turned out super wierd so I washed it off and now there is this light darkish brown on the tips of my hair. My natural color is black. How to I get the ends of my hair to my normal color?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

strip your hair or dye the ends.

My natural colour is auburn red. I have been getting bleached blonde highlights for years, but really want my natural colour back. Any advice on how to do this?

By Sam

Best Answer

I would have a salon put my original color highlights in the hair and then get a cut into a cute short style that is most becoming to start working back to it's natural color. That way you get rid of damaged hair and it will get back to it's original color quicker shorter... Good Luck!

I recently got my hair dyed. I was trying to go light brown from my natural colour of dark brown. I would like to get it back to my natural colour without dyeing it again. How could I do this? Thanks x

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Colour remover:

https://www.wal … 57b-9907bb77303b

Curiosity kills me as always. I'm curious about my hair. When I dyed it at first, it had a bleach. So, it was more of a light-brown color. Then the second time I dyed my hair, my hair color was like gold, brown, yellowish. Just like that. Our school doesn't allow my hair color, so I turned it into light-brown.

Now, I want to return back to my original hair color which was dark brown. So, please, answer me. Just give me advice or home remedies. So, I can return it back.

Kamsahamnida!

blach hair remover 2 times sit on your hair 20 -45 mins and lots of hot oil and deep condersher togeather hair tremnets worked for me and morc hot oil taks long time to grow back tok me 1/2 year

My natural hair color is a dark blond/light brown color. I recently dyed it a light blond and I think it looked way better with my natural color. How do I get it back?

just go to the salon, get a full head of low lights. It will make your hair close enough back to its original colour while also making the shade darker when your roots start to grow in. Save the hassle and go to a professional, trust me I've ruined my hair plenty of times before I decided to spend the extra money.

My hair was blonde and I dyed it a brownish purple. Will my hair every go back blonde?

Well, I died my hair from a blonde colour to a mocha brown semi that had purple/red tints. It has been 3 months and has calmed down it's now going a ginger blonde colour be pacient it will get there xx

My natural hair color is a dark ash blonde. I got bored of my hair color and wanted to dye it so I dyed it a dark chocolate brown. I used a product by Natural Instincts. When I washed my hair and let it dry naturally my hair turned black at the top and a really dark brown black color at the bottom. I went to my cousin so she could strip some of it out and it was still too dark, so then she gave me this color eraser. I used that and my hair turned orange.

I went back to her the next day and she dyed it brown again so then I left my hair alone for a while. Then I dyed my twin sister's hair a color close to mine to match because we like to match with everything most of the time. The color of the dye turned her hair a light warm mahogany brown red color, so I used some coconut oil and vinegar to strip some of the red out and got some of the really red color out, but it left it a copper color. So she and I go buy some Color Oops and it turned her hair orange and it smelled bad. She was stuck with the smell in her hair for the longest time. It eventually faded out after doing it so many times. Then we used the Color Oops on my hair and my hair matched the color of leaves in the fall and it matched my family's log home and the porch. So we did it a second time. My hair got even brighter so then she and I go to this place called Borricks and they toned her hair out and mine out. She had hers toned once and I had mine toned twice. It sucked and our hair was still orange. So we went this salon and asked them if they could fix our hair color so it could get back to its original color and they ended up dyeing it brown again! And I'm still stuck with that same color and my sister's hair is a shade or two darker than mine. I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point and just want my natural color back. It really saddens her and I. Can some one please help and give some really good advice?

I sincerely hope that you took the advise/suggestions that were given to just leave your hair alone and let it grow out naturally.

I see examples of ruin hair almost every week and it is sad as each one just keeps trying to correct a previous mistake and the outcome is rarely good.

I just hope you are being patient and keeping your hair in good condition until you reach a stage that suits you. Try to keep it cut short and be happy with the progress.

I have very pretty silver hair, but dye it jet black and wear it short. I want to go silver all the way! What's the best way?

By Ann

So my hair was a great natural dirty blonde, with natural highlights. And I stupidly went to dye it lighter, the first time I've ever dyed it it turned orange, so then I went to dye it a dark brown to get rid of the orange and for awhile it was brown but from all the sun my roots turned orange.

So I went to the hairdresser the other day and asked for a dark blonde expecting it to be at least close to my natural colour. Totally wasn't! It turned orange again. I spent $100 dollars and all I get is a shitty colour, so now I have to go to the hairdresser again and dye it a light brown

My hair is a medium length abit longer then my shoulder. How long do you think it'll take for my natural hair to grow back, i totally regret dying my hair.. but we all make mistakes

Please answer back I need loads of help right now! And good opinions.

I recently got my hair colored, like some 5 days ago and I totally hate it. I asked for some caramel streaks, but she gave me some shitty brown streaks. They are not even streaks, she just colored my entire bottom part of the hair. It looks pathetic and I really wanna get rid of it. I have jet black hair naturally so I was wondering, can I color my hair black to get my natural looking hair back? I am also very scared since I don't want anything else to go wrong. I've also heard re-dyeing will leave your hair green.
Please suggest some advice.
Thank you so much.

Cisco's Mom

I do not agree. You may be using Nice and Easy to cover grey or white hair. You may be using it to add color to your naturally pigmented hair. The product can be an excellent choice for either application.

Kavya's hair, unlike yours, was treated with a product that has a 'lifting action'. The black pigment in her treated hair has been removed. That's the only way she could have ended up with the 'brown' she has. When black hair is lifted, it can go through seven stages of lightening, each one bringing the hair closer to the final shade of pale yellow.

In Kavya's case, the hair was lifted only two or three stages, but still enough to expose reds and yellows previously hidden by the natural black pigment that was removed. These reds and yellows may have been toned down with the addition of more color. I don't know.

She cannot chose a color that matches her natural color from the Nice and Easy series. Nice and Easy is not available in Jet Black. I can almost guarantee, if Kavya's hair is colored with Nice and Easy Natural Black, due to the exposed yellows, she will have a green cast to her hair, if not right away, after a couple shampoos.

Nice and Easy is a semi permanent product. It does not have the degree of coverage and penetration required to cover the reds and yellows in Kavya's hair. That is why she will end up with some green. She will need to use a product that provides 100% coverage in order to get her hair back to a jet black color. She will only get 100% coverage by using a permanent jet or blue black color (that is, one using hydrogen peroxide as a developer).

Whether she re colors her hair, herself, or has it done professionally, is her choice. There is one extremely important step that must not be omitted, either way. A strand test must be done prior to full head application. It is the only insurance against having a full head of hair with some terrible color worse than the 'brown' she wants to cover.

Clairol has a line of permanent colors called The Classic Collection. It contains a jet black shade and comes with its own developer (20 volume hydrogen peroxide). Instructions for its use can be found here.

http://www.beau … ssic-collection/

Kavya's entire head must be colored to insure a more even result. Finally, I repeat: Do A Strand Test, First!

(Licensed by The North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners)

I dyed my hair purple and I want to go back to my natural hair colour. How do I get rid of the colour?

Your hair color is something you live with everyday so why not ask a professional? The condition of your hair may/will also have an affect on the initial outcome of removing or changing the color.

Since we do not know what type of dye was used, how long it has been on your hair, overall condition of your hair, type of hair you have, and very importantly, what color are you trying to return to it would be very difficult to recommend correct products for you. Any suggestions offered here can just as easily be obtained from your local beauty supply store personnel but then you are still getting advice from non-professional people (usually) who are just trying to be helpful.

I would suggest talking to a professional and find out what it will cost and then determine what route you want to take. Hopefully, you used a semipermanent dye and it will rinse out in 2 o3 months and maybe even a new cut and style would make the wait more bearable.

So I dyed my hair blonde five mouths ago. The blonde was box dye. Now I want my normal hair color back. How would I do that? Please help.

What's your natural hair colour because the best way to go is let it grow back in you speed up progress with scalp massages with coconut oil and let it all grow back in to the point where you can cut the coloured ends off and be left beautifully natural colour

How long does it take for hair dye to come all the way out and for your natural hair color to come back in completely throughout your hair?

You can use hair dye stripper and remove the dye that way.

I had black hair last week. My natural hair color is white. I have used Nirvel Color Out like 15 times and my hair within a week has become orange and my roots are platinum blonde.
I have tried to use a lighter hair dye to dye my hair and camouflage the orange like Igoria Royal E-0 with a 9% vol and the color is getting darker like a chocolate brown! I have also tried to lighten it with a bleaching powder and 9%. I let it sit on my hair for about 20-30 minutes and it got darker too. I'm desperate, I don't know what to do to lighten my hair from orange to blond. Maybe lift it 2-3 tones so they match my roots better. The color I want to end up is light grey to match my natural white roots better. Please help!

thank you for your idea Bonnie! i live in Greece though and this products doesn't exist here unfortunately. I will go and ask a local beauty shop where they might have something similar.

Please please help. I need a quick fix. I had permanent purple hair and I used colour b4 to strip it out and it went back to my natural hair colour being ginger, but my roots went blonde. So I put semi permanent pine green hair dye on top. I has mostly taken, but some of it has gone brown. Is there anyway to fix it without bleaching it all out and starting again?

Please please help.

nope your roots will grow that way srry man but you cand dye your hair blonde

How long should I wait to dye my hair back to my natural dark brown? Basically what happened was 2 days ago my friend's mom who does cosmetology bleached dome strips in my hair so I could have highlights. My hair is naturally dark brown and I wanted caramel or like a bronze highlight in my hair. So she bleached the strips of blonde and then put the copper color we got from Sally's hair and beauty over the bleach. It was the closet thing I wanted to caramel.

When it came out it was a orangey color (like a brand new 2016 penny color) and I wanted more of a (1998) penny lol. And my friend told me to not put dark brown hair dye over it, but dark soft brown the next color up so my dark brown hair wouldn't be affected just the highlights would go darker. So I did it and yes I got darker highlights, but some of my hair turned grey. So now I have my natural dark brown, some blonde strips from bleach, some grey hairs (not a lot) and some copper colors (not as bright). Please help I just want to go back to my natural dark brown and be done with highlights! The first picture is what it looked like before I put the dark soft brown over it and the second is hard to tell I have anything, but it's what my hair is now. Please help!

Anonymous

This is exactly what I wanted my hair like the second picture it's really lovely. Went to hairdressers 3 days ago for caramels and just a few blonde highlights, but omg my hair wasn't what I'd hoped for it is now very light pale blonde :( I looked very washed out had a shock when woke up in the morning, it wasn't me at all. Want my hair back to its natural dark brown, don't know whether to put a colour on myself or go back to hairdressers for them to sort out, uncanny reading this!

Last year, I started dyeing my dark brown hair a light blonde. Whenever I dye my hair, it gets lots of orangy tints, no matter what color I dye it. Later, I tried dyeing my hair a color close to my natural color, but it turned purple and then turned orange again. What do I do? I don't wanna dye my hair any more colors. I just want my normal color back!

My issue is reversed. My former stylist colored my hair back to normal, or so he said. I was blonde before that. My natural is like a dark brown with slight reddish tones. He didn't add the reddish tones in, but added gold tones instead. I hate gold tones and hated this. A friend suggested blue black for me, so I did that. It's been about two months now, and I look so white...my facial tone...that it's not even funny. I just want to get back to my dark brown/slight red color. Heck, I would be happy with just dark brown. I would have it done professionally. Is this possible? I can't go around, looking like a ghost.

I dyed my hair medium brown in November of 2014 and my hair is naturally really blonde. Should I dye my hair my natural color or let it grow out?

By Jazz

I have this exact same issue. I stopped dyeing it back in January and actually used chemical color removers to strip the color at home. However, this just made it a slightly lighter brown. Currently, my roots are about an inch long and bright blond. I've been using John Frieda's Lightening Spray (essentially Sun-In) and that's helped blend the line a little better.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have my hair dyed back to blonde (maybe a little lighter than natural) with Olaplex. If you haven't heard of Olaplex, you need to. It sounds completely amazing and almost too good to be true. From what I've researched, it bonds the hair to fix damage you already have AND hang onto the color you put on it. The bleach dries it a bit but that goes away within weeks, unlike using it without the Olaplex. There's no permanent damage and it's how Kim Kardashian managed to go so light without all of her hair falling out.

So I'm really super excited to see something like my natural blonde again and not have much damage at all. Hoping for the best!

I am naturally a platinum to almost ashy blonde and I wanted something different and went to a salon, dyed my hair by keeping the blonde on the bottom and medium brown on top for an ombre look and it's been about 4 months. I didn't get it cut then, but 4 months prior. My blonde roots are coming in and its beginning to look weird having blonde on the bottom a light brown in the middle and blonde roots so I would like to go back to blonde fully, but was not sure how to do that. I don't have a problem with the salon doing it!

I'd have a salon do it. You'll want to lift the brown colour with a lifter or bleach to get your hair back but since its just in the middle, it's best to have them do it. Good luck :)

I'm looking for some advice. My hair is currently an unevenly faded purple (Arctic Fox Violet Dream), which I absolutely love and have loved in every stage of its fading. Unfortunately, my sister is getting married in a few weeks and wants me, as her Maid of Honor, to have a more natural hair color. Both of us have naturally medium-dark brown hair, so I think it would make the most sense to go back to that color.

My question is, should I try to lift the purple from my hair before I dye it brown, or will I be able to sufficiently cover it if I use a dark enough dye?

Thanks!

I would lift it first, then recolor.

I haven't dyed my hair in a year. Ny natural color has grown out to about 6 inches of dark brown. The rest of my hair is a dark golden color. How can I go back to my original color and make it even?

Go to a beauty shop like Ulta or Sally's and have them help you colour match a semi permanent dye in your colour

I recently colored my naturally dark chocolate brown hair with medium ash brown permanent dye and I want to take it off, but I don't want to bleach it or color it another color because my natural hair color is impossible to find. Is there another way I can take it out without bleaching it or coloring it a different color?

Load More