Browsing: Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

A girl with blonde hair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 20, 2016 Flag

So I dyed my hair last year honey blonde and I've kept it in till now. The roots have grown in and only the tips were honey blonde like I wanted. I have recently dyed my full head of hair back to black, however, it turned out too black to were it looks blue.

So I looked into Color Oops and used it on my hair. Now my roots have turned brown instead of black and my honey blonde tips have turned back to honey blonde. Did I leave in Color Oops too long? Can I use Color Oops again and will my hair go back to natural black? What should I do?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 12, 2016 Flag

I colored my hair 2 months ago from black to brown at a salon. I don't like this hair color at all. I want to get back my natural black. What can I do? If I try a black color from any hair coloring brands from the super markets, does it have a chance to become black again? Kindly reply to me.

Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

Read More Answers...

March 1, 2014 Flag

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Best Answer

Sorry to tell you, but there's no such solution. The best you can do is go to a salon and have them use color remover on your black ends, then have them color all your hair to a slightly lighter version of the color it was before it turned white.

The reason I say get a lighter version is that black haircolor and very dark haircolor has a tendency to highlight shadows and wrinkles. This was something I learned in cosmetology school, but didn't believe until I saw a few photos of the teachers: One of them used to color her hair very dark, then the next year she had changed over to a blonde or pale brown color, and looked about 15 years younger.

On the other hand, if you are speaking of those liquids you use frequently on your hair that are supposed to gradually change your haircolor back, that's not exactly what they do-they deposit a coating of metal salts on your hair shaft, which oxidize and turn dark; over time it builds up and makes the hair appear darker.

The problem with that is, if you decide to go back to actual haircolor, the metal salts will react with the haircolor, and you could end up with very strange hair color-green, or purple, or an unnatural reddish color. That's the reason you aren't supposed to use anything metal when you mix haircolor, because of that reaction. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Read More Answers...

April 21, 2015 Flag

My natural colour is auburn red. I have been getting bleached blonde highlights for years, but really want my natural colour back. Any advice on how to do this?

By Sam

Best Answer

I would have a salon put my original color highlights in the hair and then get a cut into a cute short style that is most becoming to start working back to it's natural color. That way you get rid of damaged hair and it will get back to it's original color quicker shorter... Good Luck!

Read More Answers...

October 3, 2015 Flag

I recently got my hair colored, like some 5 days ago and I totally hate it. I asked for some caramel streaks, but she gave me some shitty brown streaks. They are not even streaks, she just colored my entire bottom part of the hair. It looks pathetic and I really wanna get rid of it. I have jet black hair naturally so I was wondering, can I color my hair black to get my natural looking hair back? I am also very scared since I don't want anything else to go wrong. I've also heard re-dyeing will leave your hair green.
      Please suggest some advice.
      Thank you so much.

Cisco's Mom

I do not agree. You may be using Nice and Easy to cover grey or white hair. You may be using it to add color to your naturally pigmented hair. The product can be an excellent choice for either application.

Kavya's hair, unlike yours, was treated with a product that has a 'lifting action'. The black pigment in her treated hair has been removed. That's the only way she could have ended up with the 'brown' she has. When black hair is lifted, it can go through seven stages of lightening, each one bringing the hair closer to the final shade of pale yellow.

In Kavya's case, the hair was lifted only two or three stages, but still enough to expose reds and yellows previously hidden by the natural black pigment that was removed. These reds and yellows may have been toned down with the addition of more color. I don't know.

She cannot chose a color that matches her natural color from the Nice and Easy series. Nice and Easy is not available in Jet Black. I can almost guarantee, if Kavya's hair is colored with Nice and Easy Natural Black, due to the exposed yellows, she will have a green cast to her hair, if not right away, after a couple shampoos.

Nice and Easy is a semi permanent product. It does not have the degree of coverage and penetration required to cover the reds and yellows in Kavya's hair. That is why she will end up with some green. She will need to use a product that provides 100% coverage in order to get her hair back to a jet black color. She will only get 100% coverage by using a permanent jet or blue black color (that is, one using hydrogen peroxide as a developer).

Whether she re colors her hair, herself, or has it done professionally, is her choice. There is one extremely important step that must not be omitted, either way. A strand test must be done prior to full head application. It is the only insurance against having a full head of hair with some terrible color worse than the 'brown' she wants to cover.

Clairol has a line of permanent colors called The Classic Collection. It contains a jet black shade and comes with its own developer (20 volume hydrogen peroxide). Instructions for its use can be found here.

http://www.beautygala.com/brands/co ... ol-professionals-classic-collection/

Kavya's entire head must be colored to insure a more even result. Finally, I repeat: Do A Strand Test, First!

(Licensed by The North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners)

Read More Answers...

March 8, 2016 Flag

How long should I wait to dye my hair back to my natural dark brown? Basically what happened was 2 days ago my friend's mom who does cosmetology bleached dome strips in my hair so I could have highlights. My hair is naturally dark brown and I wanted caramel or like a bronze highlight in my hair. So she bleached the strips of blonde and then put the copper color we got from Sally's hair and beauty over the bleach. It was the closet thing I wanted to caramel. after highlights

When it came out it was a orangey color (like a brand new 2016 penny color) and I wanted more of a (1998) penny lol. And my friend told me to not put dark brown hair dye over it, but dark soft brown the next color up so my dark brown hair wouldn't be affected just the highlights would go darker. So I did it and yes I got darker highlights, but some of my hair turned grey. So now I have my natural dark brown, some blonde strips from bleach, some grey hairs (not a lot) and some copper colors (not as bright). Please help I just want to go back to my natural dark brown and be done with highlights! The first picture is what it looked like before I put the dark soft brown over it and the second is hard to tell I have anything, but it's what my hair is now. Please help!

Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

I did a bit of research. Clairol does have a line of no lift colors (and has had for years. I had forgotten about it). The line is called Second Nature. I couldn't find a decent color chart, though. Sally's is bound to have one.

Read More Answers...

June 22, 2016 Flag

A couple months ago I wanted to go blonder. I'm naturally a dirty blonde and I just wanted to go a little lighter. It came out a copper gross blonde color and it was awful. The salon put a toner in to get rid of the copper, but the toner just made my hair orange. So, I went back to my normal hair stylist and she dyed my hair back and put highlights. There are still streaks of orange and the highlights look terrible because my roots are growing in. How do I get my natural hair color back?

January 23, 2016 Flag

My natural hair colour is blond. I put temporary brown dye in my hair that was meant to last 30 washes. That was in July 2015. My hair is now a dark blond and my regrowth/ roots are dark brown. I want to go back to my natural hair. Can anyone tell me why my regrowth is now brown? How do I go back to my natural colour?

According to my hairdresser, blonds usually go darker before our hair goes grey.

September 10, 2015 Flag

So my natural hair is honey blonde, but I dyed it a dark brown. I don't want to keep dyeing it, but want to turn it back to blonde. The salon said I'd have to bleach it! Is there a better more natural way to fix it?

You have three options here. The safest is to just let it grow out, trimming the colored portion out as it grows. Next option would be getting plenty of highlights to lighten the overall color & blend the roots, with less damage. This option helps make the growing out process less of a contrast between the color and the new roots, without damaging all of your hair. The final option is what the stylist has already recommended, involving color remover or bleach to remove the brown, and a toner to help those ends match the rest of your hair. This of course would be the most harsh solution, although also the most effective.

Unfortunately unless the color you have in is only semi-permanent, there is no truly gentle way to remove it, because when you use permanent color, the color molecules migrate into the spaces in your hair's cuticle, which have been opened by the peroxide in the permanent color mixture. When the color is rinsed out the cuticle closes over the new color molecules. This is why it requires bleaching/color remover to remove it- these processes open the cuticle very wide so the color molecules can come out, while not adding any more color. Do not attempt to dye the brown part blonde, because all that will do is add more color molecules to the ones already in there. Good luck!

Read More Answers...

August 3, 2015 Flag

Last year, I started dyeing my dark brown hair a light blonde. Whenever I dye my hair, it gets lots of orangy tints, no matter what color I dye it. Later, I tried dyeing my hair a color close to my natural color, but it turned purple and then turned orange again. What do I do? I don't wanna dye my hair any more colors. I just want my normal color back!

May be your water as well.

Read More Answers...

February 18, 2015 Flag

I dyed my hair medium brown in November of 2014 and my hair is naturally really blonde. Should I dye my hair my natural color or let it grow out?

By Jazz

I have this exact same issue. I stopped dyeing it back in January and actually used chemical color removers to strip the color at home. However, this just made it a slightly lighter brown. Currently, my roots are about an inch long and bright blond. I've been using John Frieda's Lightening Spray (essentially Sun-In) and that's helped blend the line a little better.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have my hair dyed back to blonde (maybe a little lighter than natural) with Olaplex. If you haven't heard of Olaplex, you need to. It sounds completely amazing and almost too good to be true. From what I've researched, it bonds the hair to fix damage you already have AND hang onto the color you put on it. The bleach dries it a bit but that goes away within weeks, unlike using it without the Olaplex. There's no permanent damage and it's how Kim Kardashian managed to go so light without all of her hair falling out.

So I'm really super excited to see something like my natural blonde again and not have much damage at all. Hoping for the best!

Read More Answers...

July 1, 2015 Flag

My natural hair color is dirty blonde and I decided to dye it blonde in a little bit lighter shade. The roots started growing and they are way darker and I am really not into dyeing my hair every month. I want my natural color back. I thought about dyeing it a color closer to my natural one, but the roots were always darker than the rest of my hair and I really don't want that.

If you dye your hair at all, you have three choices with regards to roots. Either you need to dye the hair repeatedly when the roots begin to show, or you can use hair dye that is made for just dying the roots (comes with a little comb for application), or you can just come to terms with the fact that when your hair grows out, the roots will show. If you can't live with any of those choices, don't dye your hair.

Read More Answers...

May 27, 2015 Flag

I have a short bob, I want to go back to my own colour. How long will it take to grow out?

woman with bob cut

I am going to give you the absolute, very best advice: take Donna's advice.

Donna's 'shaggy ends' could also be called tapered or feathered. A layered cut will give your hair more lift and bounce, resulting in a more youthful and less matronly appearance.

Read More Answers...

May 22, 2015 Flag

I naturally have a dirty/light blonde hair color. I dyed it burgundy last summer. And after I dyed it burgundy I dyed it red. I let it fade for about 6 months, and here I am. I wanted to get back to my natural color, but now I'm in a pickle.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                      Load More
                      Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringNovember 20, 2013
                      gray haired woman
                      Dyeing My Hair Gray
                      Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
                      Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
                      Sink with hair dye stains
                      Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
                      Red Hair Dye
                      Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
                      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 25, 2016 at 8:05:45 AM on 10.0.1.254 in 762 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.