Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

0 0EmailFollow
A girl with blonde hair.

Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

Here are questions related to Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing.

Question: Getting Hair Back to Natural Color

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Best Answers

By Kat [7]03/02/2014

Sorry to tell you, but there's no such solution. The best you can do is go to a salon and have them use color remover on your black ends, then have them color all your hair to a slightly lighter version of the color it was before it turned white.

The reason I say get a lighter version is that black haircolor and very dark haircolor has a tendency to highlight shadows and wrinkles. This was something I learned in cosmetology school, but didn't believe until I saw a few photos of the teachers: One of them used to color her hair very dark, then the next year she had changed over to a blonde or pale brown color, and looked about 15 years younger.

On the other hand, if you are speaking of those liquids you use frequently on your hair that are supposed to gradually change your haircolor back, that's not exactly what they do-they deposit a coating of metal salts on your hair shaft, which oxidize and turn dark; over time it builds up and makes the hair appear darker.

The problem with that is, if you decide to go back to actual haircolor, the metal salts will react with the haircolor, and you could end up with very strange hair color-green, or purple, or an unnatural reddish color. That's the reason you aren't supposed to use anything metal when you mix haircolor, because of that reaction. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Best Answers

By weinerdog41 [33]03/02/2014

There is no way you can get your hair back to it's natural color. As we age the hair looses it pigment. I don't like my grey hair either so I color it.

My natural colour is auburn red. I have been getting bleached blonde highlights for years, but really want my natural colour back. Any advice on how to do this?

By Sam

Best Answer

By Donna [230]04/21/2015

I would have a salon put my original color highlights in the hair and then get a cut into a cute short style that is most becoming to start working back to it's natural color. That way you get rid of damaged hair and it will get back to it's original color quicker shorter... Good Luck!

Question: How Do I Get My Hair Color Back to Its Natural Color?

I have very pretty silver hair, but dye it jet black and wear it short. I want to go silver all the way! What's the best way?

By Ann

Most Recent Answer

By dinairene08/03/2011

So my hair was a great natural dirty blonde, with natural highlights. And I stupidly went to dye it lighter, the first time I've ever dyed it it turned orange, so then I went to dye it a dark brown to get rid of the orange and for awhile it was brown but from all the sun my roots turned orange.

So I went to the hairdresser the other day and asked for a dark blonde expecting it to be at least close to my natural colour. Totally wasn't! It turned orange again. I spent $100 dollars and all I get is a shitty colour, so now I have to go to the hairdresser again and dye it a light brown

My hair is a medium length abit longer then my shoulder. How long do you think it'll take for my natural hair to grow back, i totally regret dying my hair.. but we all make mistakes

Please answer back I need loads of help right now! And good opinions.

Question: Returning to Natural Hair Color

I dyed my hair medium brown in November of 2014 and my hair is naturally really blonde. Should I dye my hair my natural color or let it grow out?

By Jazz

Most Recent Answer

By kate hudson04/29/2015

I have this exact same issue. I stopped dyeing it back in January and actually used chemical color removers to strip the color at home. However, this just made it a slightly lighter brown. Currently, my roots are about an inch long and bright blond. I've been using John Frieda's Lightening Spray (essentially Sun-In) and that's helped blend the line a little better.

I have an appointment tomorrow to have my hair dyed back to blonde (maybe a little lighter than natural) with Olaplex. If you haven't heard of Olaplex, you need to. It sounds completely amazing and almost too good to be true. From what I've researched, it bonds the hair to fix damage you already have AND hang onto the color you put on it. The bleach dries it a bit but that goes away within weeks, unlike using it without the Olaplex. There's no permanent damage and it's how Kim Kardashian managed to go so light without all of her hair falling out.

So I'm really super excited to see something like my natural blonde again and not have much damage at all. Hoping for the best!

Question: Getting Hair Colour Back to Natural After Dyeing

I have natural dark brunette hair. When I was little it was dark brown almost black and as I am growing up it had changed to more of a dark brown with random sun kissed blonde streaks here and there. I decided a few months ago to dye my hair with the super market stuff, around the same colour just hiding all the blonde streaks. It was a good colour and I was happy with it, but now it's been a few months and it's fading into a horrible rusty, orange, light brown and I absolutely hate it! I have regrowth and it's so noticeable that this is not my hair colour. I want to be able to get rid of this awful colour preferably without cutting, bleaching, or redyeing. I have tried anti dandruff shampoo, baking soda, and swimming and neither work and if they have I'm seeing very slow results. I read on another website that using bath salts is a good way to get out hair dye and it works best with purples. I am unsure to try this as my hair is brown and I don't want to change my natural hair colour. Do you have any tips or methods I could do, at home that wouldn't damage my hair or cause me to re dye it?

By J. Hart

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]04/15/2015

I also advise going to a hairdresser. However, I think you may find that by ruling out cutting, bleaching, or re-dying, you have eliminated all possible methods.

Question: Getting Hair Color Back to Natural

Years ago I had a lovely light brown colour, but got so bored of it and went black. In one year I think I dyed it about 3-4 times. It's been a good year and a bit since I put black in my hair and no matter how much my hair has grown it has stayed dark. I'm upset my natural colours not coming back out, but I want to go for a chocolate brunette. I've been given advice to put in a lighter brown than I want for it to go to a normal brown and then been told to put in the exact colour I want and it will appear. I don't know what to do should I go for a lighter or the exact colour?

By Ayesha A from East London

Most Recent Answer

By Hayley M.05/16/2015

Whatever you do, NEVER use color oops on red dyed hair!

Question: Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

I have dirty blonde hair/ash brown hair. I'm not really sure what to call it. Anyway I have about an inch and a half of my roots grown out and the rest is a very pale blonde. I'm wanting to get a hair dye close to my color and than just let it grow out. But I'm not sure if I should dye it all or just the blond parts and leave the roots. If I dye it all will they be two different colors? Please help!

By Cheryl

Most Recent Answer

By hopeful [26]01/29/2015

If the blonde hair is porous it will not come out well at all if you put a tint (dye) to match the roots. When I worked as a hairdresser, (now retired) we would use a "filler" to fill the open scales on the hair shaft before we used the tint to color it back. Anyway you look at it, there will be a lot of damage to the blonde hair.

I suggest you at least talk to a hairdresser before you do anything. This can be really a really tricky prodeedure, and in our shop there was only 2 of us out of 10 that knew how to do it, and even then it was scary.

On the other hand, if the blonde hair hasn't been damaged, it could be a pretty easy fix. Most bleached out hair is very damaged though.

Question: Getting Rid of Bright Red Highlights

I have naturally dark brown/black hair. I bleached it and put bright red highlights in it and it looks terrible. I tried a dark brown dye and it made the red less bright, but all together it's still there! What now? Should I keep dyeing it or is bleach the only way out?

By Brittany

Most Recent Answer

By Marg [16]01/05/2015

Over-treated hair can get brittle and can break off. As Dinah said, please see someone qualified before you do anything else. They can rescue it for you.

Question: Getting Back to Natural Hair Color

I have had blonde hair for the last 50 years. I have medium to dark blonde hair and I am just tired of touch ups every 4 or 5 weeks. If I use a semi permanent red before I use a permanent light brown or dark blonde will the color fade or should I use permanent light red first to avoid fading? My hair is stripped, all but the roots which are growing out about 1/2 inch. Years ago I had my hair reversed frost where a professional pulled my bleached blonde hair thru a cap, put red on the pulled hair and then a light brown, it turned out beautiful with streaks of blonde and light brown. That was over 35 years ago and now I can't find someone to understand and do this again as it was not too noticeable growing out. I guess it's too much trouble to go thru the cap and doing 2 colors. It worked great back then. Thank you for your comments. I am just not sure about a semi permanent color and the fading.

By Joyce

Most Recent Answer

By Donna [230]04/21/2015

Why not visit a beauty parlor supply shop and see if they can recommend colors? They also sell the caps and supplies right there and can make recommendations for you to either try yourself or get someone to help. It's easier than you think!

I recently bleached and dyed my hair to an indigo color, but I was just offered a new job, very surprisingly, that requires me to dye it back to a natural color. My hair is naturally brown.

I've been trying to get the indigo out of my hair, and am wondering what my next steps would be. How light should it be before I use a box dye? Is there anything I should do prior to dyeing it with a box dye? Should I avoid a box dye altogether? Would it be better if I bleached it again prior it dyeing? Thank you!

By Gianna

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]03/30/2015

As returning your hair to a natural color is a requirement for your new job, it might be worth having a professional hair stylist perform the treatment. The result will most probably be a much more realistic and "natural" appearance that will enhance your professionalism in starting your new job.

So I have naturally medium brown/ashy-ish hair color. Over the years I've highlighted it and added more and more highlights to where most of my hair is light blonde, but all different shades. I'm tired of bleaching and maintaining it. I'm wanting to go to a color that will blend well with my natural hair color. I like colors with red/eggplant tones. But I'm open to anything you think would look best. I have relatively tan skin and brown eyes.

By Jesse V.

Most Recent Answer

By Dinah Ackerson [2]03/06/2015

If your hair is already damaged and different shades from frequent home box colors, it will be