Browsing: Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

A girl with blonde hair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 16, 2016 Flag

For the past year and a half, I have been dyeing my hair. The color ranges from light brown, to blonde, to an orange brassy color when it starts to fade. She has bleached my hair in order to do the balayage thing. I never maintained my hair and therefore, I would find myself coming back to get toner within 1-2 months. I hated this. black hair after dyeing

I went to the salon to fix it this Sunday and I told her I wanted to go back to my natural hair color. I then get out of the chair to realize I have jet black hair. Does this mean I will have natural hair within a month of two? Will this jet black color fade?

My natural hair color is a dark brown, not black. I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black, but I'm not sure. Can someone help explain this?

Getting Back to Natural Hair Color
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No, it does not mean you will have natural hair in a month or two.

All hair color products fade to varying degrees. Now that they no longer contain paraphenylenediamine, they fade more than they did in the past. I'm assuming the jet black color applied to your hair was a permanent color. This color may fade only slightly, but due to the different degrees of porosity in your hair, (that being some bleached, some not), the color will not fade evenly.

" I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black". That statement is untrue and utter nonsense.

There are situations where a client has his/her hair colored and is displeased with the results, and with corrective coloring had their hair returned to a color very similar to the original color. This type color correction is successful usually when the client has had a single color treatment.

With you having had several different color treatments, there is no known corrective color treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color, or anywhere close.

A very skilled color technician might be able to lift (remove) just enough of the jet black color so that the resulting color is closer to a dark brown. This is possible, however, the type product used and the length of time the product should stay on the hair is critical. If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first. I repeat, If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first.

The above method may bring your hair to a color you can 'live with' while your natural color grows out, but in all honesty, there is no chemical treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color. Like it or not, the only way you will get your natural color back is to grow it.

August 12, 2016 Flag

A few days ago I bleached my hair. It is now a bright platinum blonde/white, before I was a dark ash blonde. I hate it. Will my roots grow back my natural colour as this is the first time I ever dyed it? Also, would the hairdresser be able to get my natural colour back?

Yes indeed!!

March 1, 2014 Flag

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Best Answer

There is no way you can get your hair back to it's natural color. As we age the hair looses it pigment. I don't like my grey hair either so I color it.

Best Answer

June 12, 2016 Flag

I colored my hair 2 months ago from black to brown at a salon. I don't like this hair color at all. I want to get back my natural black. What can I do? If I try a black color from any hair coloring brands from the super markets, does it have a chance to become black again? Kindly reply to me.

If you're really disliking the brown, what do you have to lose by dying it black?

April 21, 2015 Flag

My natural colour is auburn red. I have been getting bleached blonde highlights for years, but really want my natural colour back. Any advice on how to do this?

By Sam

Best Answer

I would have a salon put my original color highlights in the hair and then get a cut into a cute short style that is most becoming to start working back to it's natural color. That way you get rid of damaged hair and it will get back to it's original color quicker shorter... Good Luck!

March 8, 2016 Flag

How long should I wait to dye my hair back to my natural dark brown? Basically what happened was 2 days ago my friend's mom who does cosmetology bleached dome strips in my hair so I could have highlights. My hair is naturally dark brown and I wanted caramel or like a bronze highlight in my hair. So she bleached the strips of blonde and then put the copper color we got from Sally's hair and beauty over the bleach. It was the closet thing I wanted to caramel. after highlights

When it came out it was a orangey color (like a brand new 2016 penny color) and I wanted more of a (1998) penny lol. And my friend told me to not put dark brown hair dye over it, but dark soft brown the next color up so my dark brown hair wouldn't be affected just the highlights would go darker. So I did it and yes I got darker highlights, but some of my hair turned grey. So now I have my natural dark brown, some blonde strips from bleach, some grey hairs (not a lot) and some copper colors (not as bright). Please help I just want to go back to my natural dark brown and be done with highlights! The first picture is what it looked like before I put the dark soft brown over it and the second is hard to tell I have anything, but it's what my hair is now. Please help!

Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

I did a bit of research. Clairol does have a line of no lift colors (and has had for years. I had forgotten about it). The line is called Second Nature. I couldn't find a decent color chart, though. Sally's is bound to have one.

October 3, 2015 Flag

I recently got my hair colored, like some 5 days ago and I totally hate it. I asked for some caramel streaks, but she gave me some shitty brown streaks. They are not even streaks, she just colored my entire bottom part of the hair. It looks pathetic and I really wanna get rid of it. I have jet black hair naturally so I was wondering, can I color my hair black to get my natural looking hair back? I am also very scared since I don't want anything else to go wrong. I've also heard re-dyeing will leave your hair green.
Please suggest some advice.
Thank you so much.

Call the shop and ask for the name of the owner/manager. Ask to speak to him/her and explain the problem. Ask for a redo (not by the same beautician) or a refund. BE NICE. I know you're angry but being nasty will not help you get what you want. If you get nowhere and decide to do it yourself, try Nice'n Easy. Choose a color that is the same as your natural color. It will cover the lighter streaks. You may have to do it for 2 or 3 months until it has all grown out and been trimmed. The more often you wash your hair, the more often you will have to color. My color lasts 4-6 weeks.

Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringNovember 20, 2013
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 30, 2016 at 2:13:54 PM on 10.0.0.197 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.