Browsing: Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Hair Color Back to Natural After Dyeing

Waiting for your hair to grow out to your natural hue can take longer than you want to wait. This guide is about getting hair color back to natural after dyeing.

A girl with blonde hair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 25, 2016 Flag

Okay, so I have about elbow high hair. Earlier this year and in some insane idea I decided to bleach my hair. The natural color was black. My cousin did the whole process. It looked good for a while, but after a week my hair was awful! It was dry, frizzy, and damaged. Needless to say it was a nightmare!damaged dyed hair

So, I had a stylist chop off my hair, now its about shoulder length, but the ombre is still there.

So I colored my hair again. I've done some research that you need golden brown color for the blonde to go to natural brown, a black color would turn it green.

What should I do? I don't want to cut my hair shorter so what I'm planning is to dye all of my hair with the same color.

Suggestions please? Help me!

Getting Bleached Hair Back to Natural Color
Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 16, 2016 Flag

For the past year and a half, I have been dyeing my hair. The color ranges from light brown, to blonde, to an orange brassy color when it starts to fade. She has bleached my hair in order to do the balayage thing. I never maintained my hair and therefore, I would find myself coming back to get toner within 1-2 months. I hated this. black hair after dyeing

I went to the salon to fix it this Sunday and I told her I wanted to go back to my natural hair color. I then get out of the chair to realize I have jet black hair. Does this mean I will have natural hair within a month of two? Will this jet black color fade?

My natural hair color is a dark brown, not black. I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black, but I'm not sure. Can someone help explain this?

Getting Back to Natural Hair Color

No, it does not mean you will have natural hair in a month or two.

All hair color products fade to varying degrees. Now that they no longer contain paraphenylenediamine, they fade more than they did in the past. I'm assuming the jet black color applied to your hair was a permanent color. This color may fade only slightly, but due to the different degrees of porosity in your hair, (that being some bleached, some not), the color will not fade evenly.

" I've read that in order to go back to your natural hair color, I'd have to go black". That statement is untrue and utter nonsense.

There are situations where a client has his/her hair colored and is displeased with the results, and with corrective coloring had their hair returned to a color very similar to the original color. This type color correction is successful usually when the client has had a single color treatment.

With you having had several different color treatments, there is no known corrective color treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color, or anywhere close.

A very skilled color technician might be able to lift (remove) just enough of the jet black color so that the resulting color is closer to a dark brown. This is possible, however, the type product used and the length of time the product should stay on the hair is critical. If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first. I repeat, If you consider this procedure, do not have the work done by anyone who will not do a strand test first.

The above method may bring your hair to a color you can 'live with' while your natural color grows out, but in all honesty, there is no chemical treatment that will return your hair to it's natural color. Like it or not, the only way you will get your natural color back is to grow it.

August 12, 2016 Flag

A few days ago I bleached my hair. It is now a bright platinum blonde/white, before I was a dark ash blonde. I hate it. Will my roots grow back my natural colour as this is the first time I ever dyed it? Also, would the hairdresser be able to get my natural colour back?

Yes indeed!!

June 12, 2016 Flag

I colored my hair 2 months ago from black to brown at a salon. I don't like this hair color at all. I want to get back my natural black. What can I do? If I try a black color from any hair coloring brands from the super markets, does it have a chance to become black again? Kindly reply to me.

Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

Read More Answers...

March 1, 2014 Flag

I heard there is some solution for getting your hair back to the natural color you were born with. My hair is dyed black. My roots are white. I do not want white hair.

By Linda

Best Answer

Sorry to tell you, but there's no such solution. The best you can do is go to a salon and have them use color remover on your black ends, then have them color all your hair to a slightly lighter version of the color it was before it turned white.

The reason I say get a lighter version is that black haircolor and very dark haircolor has a tendency to highlight shadows and wrinkles. This was something I learned in cosmetology school, but didn't believe until I saw a few photos of the teachers: One of them used to color her hair very dark, then the next year she had changed over to a blonde or pale brown color, and looked about 15 years younger.

On the other hand, if you are speaking of those liquids you use frequently on your hair that are supposed to gradually change your haircolor back, that's not exactly what they do-they deposit a coating of metal salts on your hair shaft, which oxidize and turn dark; over time it builds up and makes the hair appear darker.

The problem with that is, if you decide to go back to actual haircolor, the metal salts will react with the haircolor, and you could end up with very strange hair color-green, or purple, or an unnatural reddish color. That's the reason you aren't supposed to use anything metal when you mix haircolor, because of that reaction. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Read More Answers...

March 8, 2016 Flag

How long should I wait to dye my hair back to my natural dark brown? Basically what happened was 2 days ago my friend's mom who does cosmetology bleached dome strips in my hair so I could have highlights. My hair is naturally dark brown and I wanted caramel or like a bronze highlight in my hair. So she bleached the strips of blonde and then put the copper color we got from Sally's hair and beauty over the bleach. It was the closet thing I wanted to caramel. after highlights

When it came out it was a orangey color (like a brand new 2016 penny color) and I wanted more of a (1998) penny lol. And my friend told me to not put dark brown hair dye over it, but dark soft brown the next color up so my dark brown hair wouldn't be affected just the highlights would go darker. So I did it and yes I got darker highlights, but some of my hair turned grey. So now I have my natural dark brown, some blonde strips from bleach, some grey hairs (not a lot) and some copper colors (not as bright). Please help I just want to go back to my natural dark brown and be done with highlights! The first picture is what it looked like before I put the dark soft brown over it and the second is hard to tell I have anything, but it's what my hair is now. Please help!

Dyeing Hair Back to Natural Color

This is exactly what I wanted my hair like the second picture it's really lovely. Went to hairdressers 3 days ago for caramels and just a few blonde highlights, but omg my hair wasn't what I'd hoped for it is now very light pale blonde :( I looked very washed out had a shock when woke up in the morning, it wasn't me at all. Want my hair back to its natural dark brown, don't know whether to put a colour on myself or go back to hairdressers for them to sort out, uncanny reading this!

Read More Answers...

April 21, 2015 Flag

My natural colour is auburn red. I have been getting bleached blonde highlights for years, but really want my natural colour back. Any advice on how to do this?

By Sam

Best Answer

I would have a salon put my original color highlights in the hair and then get a cut into a cute short style that is most becoming to start working back to it's natural color. That way you get rid of damaged hair and it will get back to it's original color quicker shorter... Good Luck!

Read More Answers...

October 3, 2015 Flag

I recently got my hair colored, like some 5 days ago and I totally hate it. I asked for some caramel streaks, but she gave me some shitty brown streaks. They are not even streaks, she just colored my entire bottom part of the hair. It looks pathetic and I really wanna get rid of it. I have jet black hair naturally so I was wondering, can I color my hair black to get my natural looking hair back? I am also very scared since I don't want anything else to go wrong. I've also heard re-dyeing will leave your hair green.
Please suggest some advice.
Thank you so much.

Cisco's Mom

I do not agree. You may be using Nice and Easy to cover grey or white hair. You may be using it to add color to your naturally pigmented hair. The product can be an excellent choice for either application.

Kavya's hair, unlike yours, was treated with a product that has a 'lifting action'. The black pigment in her treated hair has been removed. That's the only way she could have ended up with the 'brown' she has. When black hair is lifted, it can go through seven stages of lightening, each one bringing the hair closer to the final shade of pale yellow.

In Kavya's case, the hair was lifted only two or three stages, but still enough to expose reds and yellows previously hidden by the natural black pigment that was removed. These reds and yellows may have been toned down with the addition of more color. I don't know.

She cannot chose a color that matches her natural color from the Nice and Easy series. Nice and Easy is not available in Jet Black. I can almost guarantee, if Kavya's hair is colored with Nice and Easy Natural Black, due to the exposed yellows, she will have a green cast to her hair, if not right away, after a couple shampoos.

Nice and Easy is a semi permanent product. It does not have the degree of coverage and penetration required to cover the reds and yellows in Kavya's hair. That is why she will end up with some green. She will need to use a product that provides 100% coverage in order to get her hair back to a jet black color. She will only get 100% coverage by using a permanent jet or blue black color (that is, one using hydrogen peroxide as a developer).

Whether she re colors her hair, herself, or has it done professionally, is her choice. There is one extremely important step that must not be omitted, either way. A strand test must be done prior to full head application. It is the only insurance against having a full head of hair with some terrible color worse than the 'brown' she wants to cover.

Clairol has a line of permanent colors called The Classic Collection. It contains a jet black shade and comes with its own developer (20 volume hydrogen peroxide). Instructions for its use can be found here.

http://www.beautygala.com/brands/co ... ol-professionals-classic-collection/

Kavya's entire head must be colored to insure a more even result. Finally, I repeat: Do A Strand Test, First!

(Licensed by The North Carolina State Board of Cosmetic Art Examiners)

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2016 Flag

A couple of days ago I went to a salon to get a balayage. I have naturally dark brown hair, and have previously gotten a very natural/subtle balayage that grew out. It was the very first time I've ever put color in my hair. The hairstylist informed me that she was using Olaplex to lighten my hair. After about 4 hours, she finished my hair, however it was not how I wanted it at all.

It did not look remotely balayage, it just looked like she bleached my entire hair. I was in complete shock and I am freaking out. I asked her to fix it, and she told me to come back in four days. When I went back to get my hair fixed, all she did was apply toner to it. Upon finishing, the brassy/orange looking blonde was mostly gone. My hair did look darker, however it was a mixture of grayish blue and some blonde. She informed me that because it was a toner, it will fade back to the blonde I previously had after a couple of washes.

I left the salon completely unsatisfied and unhappy with my hair. At this point, I really would just like my hair back to its original dark brown, in order to avoid having to tone my hair so often/damage to my hair. Once my toner fades, will this be possible to accomplish in just one session? Or will my hair continue to fade to the blonde color? Please help!

Read More Answers...
Load More
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringNovember 20, 2013
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Red Hair Dye
Removing Hair Dye Stains from a Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 10:22:03 PM on 10.0.1.227 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.